Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
could be a good signing for 900k , looks like is a traditional RB so good for the squad.

Cautious about going overboard as Dutch football is pretty crap and wouldnt take caps to mean alot as look at Proper and he has a fair few.

Makes sense as a signing and low risk for the money.

LB + Striker/2 strikers ( possibly CM ) and we are set

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Dutch top league is lower championship standard at best. Haven't our fans learned this by now !!!!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

A poorer league for sure but you could never include Ajax in this.

They were tipped to win the Champions League last time out and would have been finalists if it weren't for quite unimaginable heroics and a big helping of luck for Spurs.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Propper has been instrumental in us staying up for 3yrs. It has not been his best season but he is no noddy player.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Have we ever had a right back score a 1 on 1 before?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’d give them a game over two legs, and likely to lose.

But it’s not Ajax it’s Dutch football, it’s poor. In recent years VVD aside who went via Scotland, there are few success in the PL. Eriksen? Vertoghen?

There is a massive difference playing for a big team in a very small pool, to playing for a potential medium team in a very large pool.

Our own signings haven’t fared well either - Locadia, Manu, AJ? Even Propper whilst okay has struggled. Holla?

Good signing VFM wise, an educated punt, time will tell if it’s a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could just mean the Dutch league is poor, which it is.
So if you're shopping in the Dutch league either go big or go home.

A decent player for FC Nomark, just ain't all that.
A decent player for serial winners and Champions League semi finalists, from a squad that was sold off to the four corners for £100m+ ought not to be judged with Elvis Manu.

Still plenty will.
Plenty are already eagerly anticipating their 'I told you so' thread.
Plenty will refuse to let him settle.

Quite sad really.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But this is not the dutch league we are used to this is Ajax, the same as righting off Celtic because they are in the Scottish league or PSG because they are in the french league. Just last year Ajax sold Frenkie De Jong and Matthijs de Ligt deemed good enough for Barcelona and Juventus and have a history of churning out good players, I know he is 28 not one of their youngsters but he is a product of the youth academy.

I am more than happy with this transfer I think it shows intent and for 900K its an absolute steal in today's market.

Correct.

I fully understand people being sceptical of all Dutch signings now(!) but Ajax is a different level. As others have mentioned they’ve had some superb players and exports down the years.

Ajax also have an incredible conveyor belt of talent and regularly compete in the Champions League. You’ve got to be a pretty good player to hold down a first team spot for Ajax.

Also this guy was part of the sensational Ajax team that tore apart most of Europe last season (including their destruction of Madrid). I bet the total football they displayed would have caught Graham’s eye.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Correct.

I fully understand people being sceptical of all Dutch signings now(!) but Ajax is a different level. As others have mentioned they’ve had some superb players and exports down the years.

Ajax also have an incredible conveyor belt of talent and regularly compete in the Champions League. You’ve got to be a pretty good player to hold down a first team spot for Ajax.

Also this guy was part of the sensational Ajax team that tore apart most of Europe last season (including their destruction of Madrid). I bet the total football they displayed would have caught Graham’s eye.
Ridewald played over 60 games for ajax.

He's terrible.

This is good debate but the proof will be in the pudding. I feel he will be used in rotation like Montoya is now. He's better than Montoya and is a gauranteed starter at Ajax for years so must have something. It's frustrating we've signed another snail but with his experience and know how he will easily pay the 900k back even if we only get 10-15 good games out of him.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Correct.

They have had a fair amount of very average players in their starting lineup over the years though, carried by the overall greatness of the team and found out once they left. Not saying its the case here but there is no way of knowing, really. Fortunately his success is not "necessary" for survival or anything like that, meaning the club could afford taking this chance.

A lot comes down to how well he could adapt from Dutch man-man marking to UK zonal marking. Will probably take a bit of time.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
If izquerdo, jahanbaksh,locadia, Duffy, andone and perhaps Montoya are out or sold then it looks like we just need a left back and a striker.

I think Andone could work well in this team if he sorted his head out...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Initial feeling was meh, but having seen his interview and watched his skill reels, looks a very good signing for £900k.

Right back options strengthened and he can cover at CB if needed.
Potter will use him more than he would have used Montoya IMO.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Solid signing. Likes a tackle. Likes a cheeky nutmeg. Not the quickest, not the biggest but good in the air. An upgrade on Uwe Hünemeier in my view. Good in the dressing room.

Don't be fooled by the Euro1m release clause, his agent will have negotiated a signing on fee that captures much of the difference between that and his market value which looks more like Euro8m. That's his payoff from spending 19 years at Ajax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here