Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Do you think Gyokeres will be in the squad? Always respect your opinions. Matt Clarke is also coming back. This may be tighter than I thought!
Duffy and others may want first team football but I still don’t think anyone will be forced out. I think it will be their choice.

No idea; I haven't seen any of his performances in Germany, but he doesn't seem to have set the place alight. It was interesting that [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] reported that apparently Potter had tried to sign him when he was still at Ostersund, but being good enough for Ostersund and good enough for the Premier League are two very different things. He has two years left on his contract.

If I was a betting man I'd probably have to say he won't be in the squad this autumn, but who knows.

And as for Matt Clarke - who knows how the centre-back situation plays out, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had another year out on loan.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To get him for the release clause without Ajax opening it up to higher bids suggests a quid pro quo has happened. Jahanbakhsh or Pröpper to Ajax ? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To get him for the release clause without Ajax opening it up to higher bids suggests a quid pro quo has happened. Jahanbakhsh or Pröpper to Ajax ? ???

It suggests to me:-

'You've given us 19 years of course we won't make leaving difficult'

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
not costing us a lot - CHECK
can play as a full back or right side of a 3 man defence - CHECK (a right-sided Burn)
not slow - CHECK
international - CHECK
experienced - CHECK
leadership potential - CHECK
played at the highest level (Ajax beating RM) with distinction - CHECK

Sounds a Potter signing from heaven!

Won't even speculate at what that means for transfers out though.

One concern - played only 19 times last season - injury? (if so, what?) out of favour?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whisper it quietly, but I reckon Veltman is our new CAPTAIN, should there be a big defensive outgoing...

can play as a full back or right side of a 3 man defence - CHECK (a right-sided Burn)
not slow - CHECK
international - CHECK
experienced - CHECK

One concern - played only 19 times last season - injury? (if so, what?) out of favour?

They only played 25 league games in their curtailed season - so not so bad.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given the pronunciation of his name in those videos, I suggest a nickname of Fuzzy. Or Roofing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
not slow - CHECK
international - CHECK
experienced - CHECK

In addition to the above a ball playing defender, also a GP hallmark.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I might be being a bit dumb here but if the release clause is 900k why would any club pay over that?

The club did well grooming this fella.

I assume it's all well and good having a £900k release clause, but that doesn't stop clubs X, Y & Z over bidding.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There isn't. A release clause is contractual and club's can't negate on this.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

If 2 clubs meet the release clause, couldn't 1 of them bid more to win the deal ?

But the selling club have to accept any bid that matches the release clause so the player can talk to either club anyway. At least, that's how I understand how release clauses work.

I would assume any bidding war would benefit the player in the form of higher wages and a bigger singing on fee

Yes but that'll happen anyway once the release clause is reached. There's no need to pay over that fee to get the player to talk to the buying club.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yeah, thats what I thought.

But the selling club have to accept any bid that matches the release clause so the player can talk to either club anyway. At least, that's how I understand how release clauses work.

Yes but that'll happen anyway once the release clause is reached. There's no need to pay over that fee to get the player to talk to the buying club.

Correct. It is a contractually agreed clause that if a club bids at that price, they must accept. There are often stipulations regarding which clubs this applies to. In some cases (probably in this one) it only applies to foreign clubs. I seem to remember reading about a team like City or Liverpool including a clause in the transfer of a player to a Spanish club (minimum release fee clauses are a contractual obligation there) that there needed to be a separate, much higher, release clause set for any bid from Man United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here