Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Whites worst performances for Leeds were in Centre Midfield. We have Propper and Molumby to support Alzate and Bissouma. Lallana can also drop back and so could Gross at a push. No need to split a back 3 that’s still a work in progress. There will be plenty of games that don’t suit Lamptey to start plus with his pace he will be targeted and could well pick up injuries. Veltman will get game time

Not seen his DM games for Leeds but they all say same. He wasn't that good in that role.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we play four at the back, he will be right back with Lamptey on the wing (or wherever he fancies playing to be honest). He’s great cover for the centre back positions. A safe pair of hands and a ball playing defender. He will get game time, especially with the number of fixtures that will need to be squeezed in as this pandemic creates problems.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Transfer fee clearly suggests he’s brought in as a back-up option to Lamptey. He will play but he will know he’s second choice

Maybe seeing Lamptey playing now, and the back 3 even, he will realise he's second choice.

But do you reckon a regular and current Dutch international with champions League football joined us believing/knowing that would be the case??

I doubt it

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We've got a lot of games coming in a truncated season, realistically players are going to get injured / suspended at various points, which will give Veltman his chance.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Maybe seeing Lamptey playing now, and the back 3 even, he will realise he's second choice.

But do you reckon a regular and current Dutch international with champions League football joined us believing/knowing that would be the case??

I doubt it

Veltman starts centre back for the Netherlands He pushed Nathan Ake out the side then over to Left back. Veltman will be valuable to this squad and get more starts as the season goes on. Lamptey also had to wait his turn. Veltman to me has always been more comfortable at centre back when I've seen him play.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I doubt it

I'm sure he watched the Newcastle game understanding why it's the case though. A good experienced pro with a good attitude doesn't get pissed about his teammates taking first team places. It's the motivation to compete and be as good as you can be, making sure that when your time comes and you are called upon, you grab it with both hands.

He'll be delighted to be in a side with such quality, and I'm sure he's up for the challenge of breaking into the side when the time comes.

That's the attitude quality experienced players have.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wonder if he's still feeling positive about the move?

Can't imagine he would've signed to be a back up? Could be that Potter wants to ease him in?

But who does he dislodge in our premier league back 3 barring injury/suspension?

Played well for Holland then unused sub at Albion..... ofc he'll get minutes, and only 2 games in, but just wonder if he was expecting more league first team action thus far?

Bit early to judge how he's feeling or what role he'll play, IMO. But we've seen many times that it only takes an injury, a booking or a dip in form for one player to come in from the sidelines and then become a permanent fixture. Squad rotation will probably also play a part and I get the impression that GP is a pretty good man-manager so he will know the right things to say to reassure JV. On the plus side, his presence in the squad only makes it stronger, so that – along with the increased competition for places and players learning from each other – will surely benefit the team as a whole?

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I wonder if he's still feeling positive about the move?

Can't imagine he would've signed to be a back up? Could be that Potter wants to ease him in?

But who does he dislodge in our premier league back 3 barring injury/suspension?

Played well for Holland then unused sub at Albion..... ofc he'll get minutes, and only 2 games in, but just wonder if he was expecting more league first team action thus far?

I was wondering the same thing these last few days.

His transfer was in the works for years, apparently.
So he was in the works before Potter, and before Ben White matured into the player he is, and before Lamptey joined.

It's quite amazing that we have a Dutch international (who partners VVD at the back), ex captain of Ajax, with Champions League experience, at a great age for CB, and he can't walk into our defence!

It's a nice problem to have at the club. But who knows how he feels about it.

The season is stacked though so he should definitely get minutes across all competitions, as you say.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nothing to worry about IMO......
He’s recently arrived and there was no post-lockdown football in Holland so he’ll be less match-fit/ready than the rest
Will need to be ‘introduced’ to PL football
Burn sub yesterday was tactical (and worked a treat)
Fixture list is rammed, virtually all players are going to get rotated even without injury and suspension
The Potter Random team generator will pick him out soon enough

The whole squad seem to be very ‘together’ again. Also interesting to read this morning (can’t find the article now) from one of the journos at the game that Lallana is noticeably vocal from the bench.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not that surprised.

He'll be 29 in 3 months, has played 38 league games in 2 seasons in a mediocre league, and plays for a country who are ranked 13th in the world.

I don't think he'll walk into a team at this level (well, maybe Leeds).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not that surprised.

He'll be 29 in 3 months, has played 38 league games in 2 seasons in a mediocre league, and plays for a country who are ranked 13th in the world.

I don't think he'll walk into a team at this level (well, maybe Leeds).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

He'll get plenty of game time. This is a compressed season, with a shortened pre-season, We will have injuries and suspensions, and he'll fit in perfectly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
LAmptey is going to get kicked to bits so we need to use hime wisely, and as has been said a compressed season adds pressure. Veltman will get time. THis really is going to be a squad season, no ones going to succeed with a mree 11 first team players..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Let’s get some positivity on here tonight, he’s class isn’t he?! Our best player tonight and on his own at the back. Has been very good in every game he’s played for us be it at right back, wing back or centre back.

First defender named on the team sheet for me.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Let’s get some positivity on here tonight, he’s class isn’t he?! Our best player tonight and on his own at the back. Has been very good in every game he’s played for us be it at right back, wing back or centre back.

First defender named on the team sheet for me.

Looks like a very technical, accomplished footballer to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here