Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We should ask Dwayne imaginary mates in Amsterdam for a second opinion.

Thought he’s been solid all season so far personally

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Smart player really should be a starter at right-centre back, but would you take out White with all his potential?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's gotta be wondering why he's wasting his time in Sussex.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
That inside turn where he beat two Leicester defenders (and was then fouled before reaching the box) was silky.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Smart player really should be a starter at right-centre back, but would you take out White with all his potential?

Move White to the centre of the 3 and drop Dunk, I never thought I would say that but something is not right with Dunk.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quality player. One or two signings like the Veltman/Lallana signings (but in different positions) in January and the air would be easier to breathe.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Won’t win much in the air then....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might not concede as many goals though. He’s not been at the races at all this season.

He’s a problem for Potter as he’s almost undroppable due to being captain and his status within the club but there’s no way he would be in the starting 11 on form.

We need him to step up now and show us the Dunk of the last 3 seasons and that he is real Captain material.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Might not concede as many goals though. He’s not been at the races at all this season.

He’s a problem for Potter as he’s almost undroppable due to being captain and his status within the club but there’s no way he would be in the starting 11 on form.

We need him to step up now and show us the Dunk of the last 3 seasons and that he is real Captain material.

I didn’t think he was terrible in the last few games, but definitely not his usual high standard. Personally, I wouldn’t leave him out, as this is a team void of leadership, and we need him for that as much as anything.

Webster has dropped off quite alarmingly having started so well.
White reads the game well, but won’t win much physically. Veltman has been impressive but also light.
Burn is simply not good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk is definitely not at his best at the moment, Hopefully it's just temporary.

Wimbledon were in the Prem League back in the 90s, They had a certain way of playing, direct long ball attacks. Their defence was very affective.

They brought in a Norwegian manager called Egil Olsen who changed defence from man marking to zonal defending. The Wimbledon defenders just didn't take to it and the club was relegated.

LD was at his best at the centre of a 4 batting the ball back with Duffy. He may not be comfortable with a back 3, or zonal defending or he may be hacked off that he didn't get his big move to Chelsea that was rumored back in the summer? who knows? either way we need the old Lewis back and soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/bijzak...an-heerlijk-niemand-begint-over-veltmannetjes

Joël Veltman is having a good time at Brighton & Hove Albion. The former Ajax player often plays as a wingback at the English club, while he has also found his egg off the field in Brighton.

'In terms of location, Brighton reminds me a bit of IJmuiden', says Veltman, who grew up in the Dutch port city, in an interview with ELF Voetbal Magazine . 'I was used to the sound of seagulls. Brighton is a pleasant, quiet city. There is a typical British pier with such an arcade hall. A small version of Santa Monica in Los Angeles. There is a roller coaster. We have been in that many times, 'says Veltman.

Veltman is also happy at the club. He still knows how to remember his first day. 'A number of players were surprised that I exchanged Ajax for Brighton, for only nine tons. The latter had to do with that appointment with Marc Overmars (Veltman was not allowed to leave a year earlier due to the departure of Matthijs de Ligt, ed.). And yes, you can think: with Ajax you play Champions League every season and not even European at Brighton. '

Nevertheless, Veltman is still behind his choice for Brighton. After all, the club plays in the Premier League and that is slightly different from the Eredivisie. 'My first matches were a kind of hazing,' he says. 'It quickly became clear that more is allowed in England than in the Netherlands. I am curious about the intensity in competitions with an audience. That is where the charm of English football lies. We can hardly imagine a full stadium anymore. '

'Delicious, nobody starts talking about' Veltmannetjes ''
In England, Veltman was also able to start from scratch. 'Delicious. Nobody starts talking about "Veltmen". Yes, I sometimes made mistakes at Ajax. But who not? In the Netherlands I kept the image of someone who goes wrong every game. From someone who would not be good enough for Ajax ', said Veltman.

The defender did not read or watch everything that was written or said about him. He got a few things through the media and that was annoying at times. 'But if several trainers appreciate you, you play 246 matches for Ajax, make it to the Dutch national team and now play for a nice club in the Premier League, that says enough. In the Netherlands you quickly have a stamp and you cannot get rid of that quickly.

Winning Tottenham Hotspur
In the Premier League, Veltman already ran into some old teammates. But it didn't stop there. 'When I recently played against Tottenham and saw Lucas Moura running, I also had to swallow. He stopped us two years ago with that late goal from the Champions League final. No, I was not going to rush him, haha. The fact that we beat Spurs felt extra good. '

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit early to judge how he's feeling or what role he'll play, IMO. But we've seen many times that it only takes an injury, a booking or a dip in form for one player to come in from the sidelines and then become a permanent fixture. Squad rotation will probably also play a part and I get the impression that GP is a pretty good man-manager so he will know the right things to say to reassure JV. On the plus side, his presence in the squad only makes it stronger, so that – along with the increased competition for places and players learning from each other – will surely benefit the team as a whole?

Well, look at that... :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here