Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Lynch

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
You clearly stated that we were a mid table team and used your odd calculation to in someway back up that view.

Our quality of play definately gave us a 7th place standard thats what the league tells us and most would accept that outcome.

None of us really know the quality of play from those teams below us was like, but once again the table would suggest that those teams standard was below ours.

What exactly does our current league position tell you ??

This is what I said: One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that last year we were closer to a mid-table finish than a play-off finish. We were a slightly above mid-table outfit last year, and we're a mid-table outfit this year, but we're only 9 games in!

Find the odd calculation in that, it's an opinion my good friend. You disagree with it. I cant be bothered to argue on a Sunday night, so please just stop.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This is what I said: One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that last year we were closer to a mid-table finish than a play-off finish. We were a slightly above mid-table outfit last year, and we're a mid-table outfit this year, but we're only 9 games in!

Find the odd calculation in that, it's an opinion my good friend. You disagree with it. I cant be bothered to argue on a Sunday night, so please just stop.

It was just an exchange of me disagreeing with your assessment, no more.

It remains that we were 1 position off the play offs and maybe 7 positions off mid table, thats all.

My intial point was to defend Joel Lynch's stance on accepting the challenge of Championship football, whilst not being offered a start in a team that as yet has not had a good start to the season in League 1.

Some on here, clearly feel that he has in someway betrayed the club and has taken some stick, I think again that is unfair on him.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Joel Lynch is better than Colin Hawkins.

I thought that at the start of the season and the last two games have only confirmed it.

You are well and truly blinkered then, Hawkins was brilliant for us, one of our best players, he was also very good in pre-season. Yes the last couple of games he hasn't been great, but that doesn't comfirm anything, just the fact that he has had an operation and isn't at his best.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
You are well and truly blinkered then, Hawkins was brilliant for us, one of our best players, he was also very good in pre-season. Yes the last couple of games he hasn't been great, but that doesn't comfirm anything, just the fact that he has had an operation and isn't at his best.

Spot on.

It remains that we were 1 position off the play offs and maybe 7 positions off mid table, thats all.

My intial point was to defend Joel Lynch's stance on accepting the challenge of Championship football, whilst not being offered a start in a team that as yet has not had a good start to the season in League 1.

Some on here, clearly feel that he has in someway betrayed the club and has taken some stick, I think again that is unfair on him.

You are clearly missing the point, deliberately I reckon. If you actually read what he said you will see that it says a SLIGHTLY ABOVE MID TABLE side, which is EXACTLY where we finished. Not in the play offs, not below mid table. Stop using this as yet another way for you to have a pop because Wilkins got the elbow.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
You are clearly missing the point, deliberately I reckon. If you actually read what he said you will see that it says a SLIGHTLY ABOVE MID TABLE side, which is EXACTLY where we finished. Not in the play offs, not below mid table. Stop using this as yet another way for you to have a pop because Wilkins got the elbow.

There's no point, I don't think HE even knows what he's talking about anymore. And as you said it's not hard to get.

What doesn't sit well with me is that we've NEVER had problems with Joels attitude before, and yet 3 games into this season, 3 games into Adams handling of the squad we suddenly have this guy supposedly throwing toys out of the pram.

Something aint right there.

Or we've never heard about him getting the hump. Maybe it's never been publicised about his attutude in training. Maybe no one has ever commented on his sicknote record. He was one of Wilkins boys, and he knew that. Now he actually has to act professionally and work hard to impress a manager he can't cope and is acting like a petulant child. He will probably do enough to earn a longer spell at Forest, because he'll know he has to up his game, and he may well get a move, but I won't be at all surprised if he ends up like Leon. Full of himself, but in the Conference.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Or we've never heard about him getting the hump. Maybe it's never been publicised about his attutude in training. Maybe no one has ever commented on his sicknote record. He was one of Wilkins boys, and he knew that. Now he actually has to act professionally and work hard to impress a manager he can't cope and is acting like a petulant child. He will probably do enough to earn a longer spell at Forest, because he'll know he has to up his game, and he may well get a move, but I won't be at all surprised if he ends up like Leon. Full of himself, but in the Conference.

Exactly. This is what I've been saying for ages. Wilkins was pally with them, he's known since the youth, they didn't have to fight for their place as they were guaranteed to play.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

7 points of the play-offs.
5 off mid-table.

That is all.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Exactly. This is what I've been saying for ages. Wilkins was pally with them, he's known since the youth, they didn't have to fight for their place as they were guaranteed to play.

What a load of horse shit you talk. Were Fraser, Fogden, Gatting and Chamberlain automatic picks under Wilkins? No. Also if you saw any youth games under Wilkins you would know he was very hard on them, instilling an attitude of professionalism. I once walked past the dressing room up at Sussex uni to hear him going mental at some of the players after a game they had won because they were too lazy to pick up the equipment and nets after the game, leaving it to a few players and coaching staff.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Not sure about the clearly bit and the deliberately bit either !!

We finished 7th, we were therefore the 7th best placed team, most people would accept we were then the 7th best team last season, not the 6th not the 8th but the 7th, thats how football is measured and people associated with the game readily accept that.

You can make up calcualtions that would place us in a different position if you wish and argue the quality of play that you witnessed, but to now change history to bizaarely make us a 'slightly above mid table team' says more about your own agenda than mine.

By the way, I will reserve the right to offer my own opinion as compared to yours irrispective of your wishes, thank you very much !

What a load of horse shit you talk. Were Fraser, Fogden, Gatting and Chamberlain automatic picks under Wilkins? No. Also if you saw any youth games under Wilkins you would know he was very hard on them, instilling an attitude of professionalism. I once walked past the dressing room up at Sussex uni to hear him going mental at some of the players after a game they had won because they were too lazy to pick up the equipment and nets after the game, leaving it to a few players and coaching staff.

I actually think it sits somewhere in the middle. The players you mention weren't first choice, and neither should they have been. Wilkins was hard on them as youth teamers, to a degree, but he had his favourites. Once he became first team coach this favouritism became more obvious. Lynch was taken out of his comfort zone with the arrival of Adams, and didn't like it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I actually think it sits somewhere in the middle. The players you mention weren't first choice, and neither should they have been. Wilkins was hard on them as youth teamers, to a degree, but he had his favourites. Once he became first team coach this favouritism became more obvious. Lynch was taken out of his comfort zone with the arrival of Adams, and didn't like it.

To be honest I don't know whether or not he was enough to comment, my point was that EfE made a massive assumption on no evidence that was clearly not true.

Not sure about the clearly bit and the deliberately bit either !!

We finished 7th, we were therefore the 7th best placed team, most people would accept we were then the 7th best team last season, not the 6th not the 8th but the 7th, thats how football is measured and people associated with the game readily accept that.

You can make up calcualtions that would place us in a different position if you wish and argue the quality of play that you witnessed, but to now change history to bizaarely make us a 'slightly above mid table team' says more about your own agenda than mine.

By the way, I will reserve the right to offer my own opinion as compared to yours irrispective of your wishes, thank you very much !

It is slightly above mid table! It's not promoted, it's not play offs, it's not exactly mid table. It's slightly above mid table!! I'm not making up any calculations. As you say the facts are there to be looked at, we did finish 7th, making us the 7th best team in that division last season, which means we finished outside the playoffs in a slightly above mid table finish. We were 7 points outside the playoffs, and 5 points above mid table. Where's the dispute in that?

Quite simply you are arguing as it suits your "Wilkins was wronged" agenda.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Is the irony really lost on you.

Every player that plays under any manager might be assumed to be one of that 'managers boys', you really dont need me to throw names at you about 'MA Boys' do you ???

At present Lynch just happens to be a Championship Managers 'boy' ... jeeez you getting there ??

Managers make assessments and pick a team that they hope will deliver successful, but if you disagree with them you seem to throw the allegation of one of the managers boys, its absurd view that can be said of every manager that has ever managed !!

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

To be honest I don't know whether or not he was enough to comment, my point was that EfE made a massive assumption on no evidence that was clearly not true.

By all means have your point but there is no need to be rude. I said the same thing that KSA but perhaps used the wrong word 'youth'. Wilkins did have his favourties.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It is slightly above mid table! It's not promoted, it's not play offs, it's not exactly mid table. It's slightly above mid table!! I'm not making up any calculations. As you say the facts are there to be looked at, we did finish 7th, making us the 7th best team in that division last season, which means we finished outside the playoffs in a slightly above mid table finish. We were 7 points outside the playoffs, and 5 points above mid table. Where's the dispute in that?

Quite simply you are arguing as it suits your "Wilkins was wronged" agenda.

KSA, I refer you to my learned friend, Easy 10 -

"Arguing with BigGully is like trying to nail jelly to a wall."

I rest my case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here