Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Lynch

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I always said he was our best defender. Finally, some people see sense. Elphick, as much as many of you wank all over him, is just a hoofer who will never play higher than where he is now, and Hawkins doesn't look fit enough. It was an INSULT to Joel that he couldn't get in the team ahead of these two at the start of the season, and it's an insult now. We need to get him back and play him alongside Virgo. Now that would be on hell of a defence. Won't happen though.

Why is it an insult?
Lynch was injured during pre-season so his fitness was behind others.
Hawkins played and the defence was superb at the start of the season.
Hawkins had his op meaning there was an opportunity for Joel and he refused to play?
What part of this is an insult to Joel?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or maybe it's not Adams? he was pretty much guaranteed to play under Wilkins but now Adams signs another defender he doesn't like having competition for his place where he wont be guaranteed a starting spot week / week out ?

Perhaps Adams is not being paid a bonus for every former youth team player who is in the first team?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
"It has been frustrating not to figure at brighton this season, especially considering how hard I thought I worked in pre-season and how much effort I have put in over the past six weeks or so despite hardly figuring"

Thats your frigging JOB Lynch, you whining ponce. You thought YOU worked hard, there's a group of professionals there who probably considered they ALL worked hard, but arn't under the illusion that they have an automatic RIGHT to be in the team.

Shame, he was a good player and a decent prospect, but he's not going to get very far in the professional game with that attitude.

Players aint stupid, honestly they really aren't, they quickly assess how the manager rates them.

With Lynch it is slightly different in as much as he does have some suiters at biggers clubs, so he is bound to be concerned if he isnt able to find a place in an under performing side, languishing mid table in League 1.

The players that you refer to that also worked hard, probably have no other obvious options, certainly at Championship level and are already maybe punching above their weight, they have no option other than to get their heads down and hope beyond hope that things turn out right for them.

If say Mayo, Hart and Reid players that so many on here regard as great club players and bleed blue & white had other clubs other than Lewes interested in their signature last season what do you think their actions might of been ??

Would they have kept going and showed great professionalism to the Wilkins regime, whilst ignoring that interest, not a chance those players would of been out the door as quick as you could say 'just off to kiss the badge of another club' ..!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Will be disappointed if we let him go, especially for anything less than £500k. He is a class act and has a good career ahead of him. Foolish to let him go in my opinion.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Let's face it, he's made up his mind that he doesn't want to stay. The fact that his transfer request was initially turned down would have told him that he was still wanted here but he feels otherwise. Good luck to him. I remeber seeing him play at Southampton a few years ago and he looked like a real talent in the making but since then he has been a bit disappointing, like a few of the 'graduates' from the same youth team.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
El Abd didn't play at the start of the season because he was injured. Simple as that. He started at Northampton last Saturday and was OK - but not great. Which other youngsters are you thinking of? Cox has consistently been in the team until last week but has been in very poor form. Jake has done nothing to make a case for his inclusion. Fraser has been on the periphery of the team as last year, and Elphick has been an almost ever-present.

So I think it's unfair to say that MA doesn't like playing the youth boys. Time will tell whether Lynch would have been a better bet than Hawkins, but at this level I would rather have Hawkins (when fit), than a guy like Joel who has immense talent but tends to over-play.

Completely agree. El-Abd one of our better players last season, I must of missed something there. Most of the youngster aren't good enough Cox and, Wilkins was pally with them so of course they were going to play, Adams has realised they aren't very good.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Completely agree. El-Abd one of our better players last season, I must of missed something there. Most of the youngster aren't good enough Cox and, Wilkins was pally with them so of course they were going to play, Adams has realised they aren't very good.

Do you really say that with a straight face, not even a little bit worried that a 7th place finish last season compared with the current position we find ourself in might invalidate your point, at least for now.

No ..... thought not .... !!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that last year we were closer to a mid-table finish than a play-off finish. We were a slightly above mid-table outfit last year, and we're a mid-table outfit this year, but we're only 9 games in!

sureyyathegodofthephonein

nsc most loved
Apr 26, 2008
Having sex in a skip
Unused sub for Forest today but given their defensive performance I would imagine he will start next week. Wes Morgan is possibly the worst professional centre back I have EVER seen!

Article in the programme:

"If I was offered a permanent move to Forest I would obviously accept it but I know it's not going to be handed to me on a plate. It's up to me to get my head down and work really hard and show Colin Calderwood that I'm a decent player and deserve to be with the club for longer than a month"

"I haven't been playing for Brighton and for the manager at Forest to give me a chance is amazing - now it's up to me to prove I deserve a contract"

"It hasn't been the easiest of seasons for me down at Brighton and it's good to get away and get a new perspective on things. I'm training with better players and I'm spending time at a big club with a great history which can only benefit me in the future. I just want to enjoy the whole experience"

"It has been frustrating not to figure at brighton this season, especially considering how hard I thought I worked in pre-season and how much effort I have put in over the past six weeks or so despite hardly figuring. Playing regularly one season and then being out of favour hasn't really done much for my confidence but that makes me so much more grateful for the chance Forest have given me"

Don't think we will be seeing him back to be honest, lets hope we get a decent fee!

Goodbye Joel

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that last year we were closer to a mid-table finish than a play-off finish. We were a slightly above mid-table outfit last year, and we're a mid-table outfit this year, but we're only 9 games in!

What a strange perspective to last years finish a little bit of spin there, I think.

Your last point is inaccurate, we are not currently a mid table team because we are just as close to 19th place than 11th .... so errrr ........you know what I mean !!!

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Do you really say that with a straight face, not even a little bit worried that a 7th place finish last season compared with the current position we find ourself in might invalidate your point, at least for now.

No ..... thought not .... !!

Say what with a straight face, that Cox, El-Abd, Robinson etc aren't good enough, yes completely serious. Last season our team was weak.

The current position we find ourselves in? You mean with 37 league games left to play? Ridiculous point. And are you aware that in January we were 17th?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
What a strange perspective to last years finish a little bit of spin there, I think.

Your last point is inaccurate, we are not currently a mid table team because we are just as close to 19th place than 11th .... so errrr ........you know what I mean !!!

Do YOU know what you mean?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007

Not really, Southend away showed how far away we were from being a play-off team. The four teams in the play-offs were considerably superior to us. The four teams below us were a similar standard to us. The quality of play was mid-table standard, but that's just my opinion, yours clearly differs, I never felt we were going to make the play off's.

As for this season, it's far too early to start discussing what kind of a standard we will be come the end of the season. Give it time.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not really, Southend away showed how far away we were from being a play-off team. The four teams in the play-offs were considerably superior to us. The four teams below us were a similar standard to us. The quality of play was mid-table standard, but that's just my opinion, yours clearly differs, I never felt we were going to make the play off's.

As for this season, it's far too early to start discussing what kind of a standard we will be come the end of the season. Give it time.

Outside the top teams and the bottom teams of course most teams are similar, thats in most leagues.

But to somehow take last seasons table and somehow minus the difference in points from the team above from our points tally to somehow state that that then becomes our natural league position is a strange assessment.

The point difference between us and Southend does indicate that we were a little short of play off credentials, but to then conclude we therefore really finished mid-table with your eccentric calculations is not fair.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

I actually completely agree. I said something similar in another thread, yes we got slightly close to the play-offs (most of the season were mid-table) and had some good results throughout the season, but in terms of squad and competing we were a world apart from the likes of Southend and Swansea. We're not doing badly at the moment, all we can do is build on it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Say what with a straight face, that Cox, El-Abd, Robinson etc aren't good enough, yes completely serious. Last season our team was weak.

The current position we find ourselves in? You mean with 37 league games left to play? Ridiculous point. And are you aware that in January we were 17th?

These players that you so readily deride, cost the club nothing and are local sussex based talent and they all contributed in someway to a very very credible 7th position.

A 7th position that MA and DK are spending vast amount of money on trying to replicate.

As yet there have been very few reasons to feel that these extremely well paid players can deliver what those you resent so much did.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Outside the top teams and the bottom teams of course most teams are similar, thats in most leagues.

But to somehow take last seasons table and somehow minus the difference in points from the team above from our points tally to somehow state that that then becomes our natural league position is a strange assessment.

The point difference between us and Southend does indicate that we were a little short of play off credentials, but to then conclude we therefore really finished mid-table with your eccentric calculations is not fair.

No where have I said it was our natural league position, I just personally feel the quality of play we were producing was closer to mid-table standard rather than a play-off side standard.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
These players that you so readily deride, cost the club nothing and are local sussex based talent and they all contributed in someway to a very very credible 7th position.

A 7th position that MA and DK are spending vast amount of money on trying to replicate.

As yet there have been very few reasons to feel that these extremely well paid players can deliver what those you resent so much did.

I don't 'resent' anybody, I'm just saying that some of them aren't good enough. Ok so we did well last season for the squad we had, but we were trudging along and never looked like a great team, who's to say we would even replicate that with those players. My guess is we wouldn't it was weak.

Anyway, I think it's best to agree to disagree here.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I actually completely agree. I said something similar in another thread, yes we got slightly close to the play-offs (most of the season were mid-table) and had some good results throughout the season, but in terms of squad and competing we were a world apart from the likes of Southend and Swansea. We're not doing badly at the moment, all we can do is build on it.

Contridiction ......

Most of the season in mid table, yes and we did build on it.

Then you say we are currently not doing badly and we can build on it.

So what is it to be ??

a) That this seasons mid table position is good

b) whilst last years mid table position was bad

C'mon a little consitency please.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No where have I said it was our natural league position, I just personally feel the quality of play we were producing was closer to mid-table standard rather than a play-off side standard.

You clearly stated that we were a mid table team and used your odd calculation to in someway back up that view.

Our quality of play definately gave us a 7th place standard thats what the league tells us and most would accept that outcome.

None of us really know the quality of play from those teams below us was like, but once again the table would suggest that those teams standard was below ours.

What exactly does our current league position tell you ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here