Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Lynch

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Plese don't misquote me. I never said that past performance bears NO relevance to future performances. Of course they do but you said and I quote "past performance is LIKELY to predict future results."

It's the word likely I have trouble with. The bet is NOT directly affected by past performance. If so then the league would be incredibly predictable and we'd all win accumulators. As I alluded to, it's only when resources are so unevenly matched that you can confidently predict scores.

Also, you are quite wrong when you say it's performances are all that managers have to rely on. They also get reports on player weaknesses, manager's preferred ways of playing, size of the pitch, weather, all sorts of things. They may also try new ways of playing, moving players into different positions. All sorts. These are all to do with tactics and not necessarily linked to the actual past performance of the team. There are far too many other variables.

Let me give you an example. Say Aston Villa play Wolves. If all you've got is past performances then they would be fairly evenly matched because they both have similar records but in different leagues. After all, according to you that's all they have at their disposal. I'm not dismissing the importance of past performance but you place far far too much reliance on them.

You still haven't responded to my comments about your illogicality regarding the way you seem able to take 7 games this season and compare it to the whole of last season.

I think you are making fundamental mistake.

Your view seems to be based on achieving an individual result rather than the 'likely' longer term successes of any team.

Results do not always offer a true reflection of the performance level of any team, however if results and performance remain poor then it is quite reasonable to acknowledge that any optimism of future successes might be misplaced.

MA seems to have accepted this, by trying to change personel, his own powers that you refer to in terms of 'pitch size', 'scouting information' and 'tactical nuance' have been in place since the very first game without success, your unstinting optimism that somehow these might change for the better, I believe is unlikely.

Teams that have up to now delivered better results might argue that they have already stole a march in those departments, we seem to be lagging.

Past performance remains an accurate indicator to all aspects of any club, management, coaching, training, scouting, professionalism, preperation and most important playing staff and will offer a likely insight of where that team might be heading.

I think that the club agrees and will recruit better players, players that will demand weekly hotel bills far greater than last years wage increases asked by O'Callaghan and our own Savage put together.

So I remain hopeful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here