Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job Interview

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I wonder if refuse collectors earn "up to £30k"? I think you need an HGV license for one of those contraptions.

Yeah you do but class one or whatever it's called these days

Council refuse collectors I think get about £17k, but if you work in trade waste it's more like £25-£27k

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yeah you do but class one or whatever it's called these days

Council refuse collectors I think get about £17k, but if you work in trade waste it's more like £25-£27k

Class 2 actually chap and i wouldn't get out of bed for there pay.

Stumpy Tim

This thread is NSC Gold... I now know who algie is, and realised I lived down the road from him as a youngster!

Back to the initial question, self-confidence is the most important factor in an interview in my opinion. I would say that to be self-confident you need a smart appearance, honesty in terms of the skills you profess to have, punctuality, and belief that you're the best wo/man for the job are all essential.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with Timmy. Self confidence is absolutely crucial. That is not to say you need to talk bollocks or pretend you know something you don't. It's like this, IMO: Employees are not realistically looking for someone who has got experience in everything they need. They are looking for someone who can fit in, is willing to learn, doesn't bullshit and simply has enough experience to justify the salary they are willing to pay.

I remember the second time I moved jobs, and a friend told me that I'd easily get the job. He said: "just think of the number of absolute muppets in the population - that's who you're up against". And he was right - just stay confident in your own ability to do the job, brush up on the company and your own knowledge, and try to project the positive side of you character in the interview.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for you algie. Nothing to do with sad gits laughing at your salary or indeed you feeling the need to brag about it in the first place. I feel sorry for you because of the fact that you need to lie on your CV means you're constantly looking over your shoulder, whatever you like to believe. And the fact you need to keep changing jobs also seems part of a recipe for an unhappy life, IMO - but I think I know the reason you do that (there is one aspect in your life you've said you refuse to divulge on here, so I assume it's related to that)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Algie, you said you have no qualifications, exams etc yet you are an HGV driver which must mean at some point you got the relevant certification to drive them. Unless you lied about that.

The only thing that an employer would look for in a potential HGV driver is the certification and a clean license. So I imagine if you have those any other lie or tidying up would have been a complete waste of time. Unless of course you lied about license etc in which case the employer could at any point find out. For example if you were in a job and they wanted to make cutbacks or were not happy with you, the first thing an employer does is go through people's CVs and check if there is anything they can be fired for rather than having to pay them off.

You would be putting yourself in a very dodgy position.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Back to Quester, if he's still bothering to read this thread...

I have observed people being recruited in a couple of different fields recently and the quality of applicants hasn't always been particularly high. Never the less someone inevitably gets the job. You always imagine that you're up against people much better than you but it might not necessarily be the case - if they're willing to spend time interviewing you at all I'd suggest you're in with a shout. So go for it, and go for it with the confidence to make them believe you could do the job.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like the Shuttleworth Avatar Perry. Two margarines on the go?

Algie, your posts on this thread explain a lot of what you've posted before. I agree with Sim, I just feel a bit sorry for you as you are clearly unhappy hence the need for all this bravado.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Really?

The average wage according to the National Stats people is £447 per week, which works out at £23,244 a year.

Is that including benefits and tax allowances? The array in figures is vast. Census data never seems to reflect official statistics.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Cheers everyone, a lot of points iv'e noted down, in particular:

Make sure you know the website in question inside out and back-to-front.
Learn everything you can about the company.
Have knowledge of recent news stories, both generally and in the relevant sector
Have a list of websites that you look at regularly - list of newspapers/magazines always helps
Have a sample of some work and be prepared to answer questions on them
Be punctual
Why do you want the job?
Have questions
realise that you do not have the experience, but are very willing to learn, and you have to start somewhere to get experience.
look the interviewers in the eye
be confident,

Thanks again, its not til next wed. I'll let you know how it goes

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Looking at it is before tax. Seems to be quoted in a number of articles about house prices etc.

Fair enough. Who am I to argue with you when your main aim is to continually undermine everything I seem to post. Many income statistics include the 'wage' of the unemployed from various benefits. Others eliminate those. The figure I was quoting was from the latter, also excluding part time wages, so it's obviously going to push the average higher.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. Who am I to argue with you when your main aim is to continually undermine everything I seem to post. Many income statistics include the 'wage' of the unemployed from various benefits. Others eliminate those. The figure I was quoting was from the latter, also excluding part time wages, so it's obviously going to push the average higher.

Having a bad day are we?

Was not undermining, just the figure you were quoting seemed very high against what had been quoted in the media in the last 6 months as they seem to bang on about lending against wages etc.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Having a bad day are we?

Was not undermining, just the figure you were quoting seemed very high against what had been quoted in the media in the last 6 months as they seem to bang on about lending against wages etc.

Brilliant - there are now two separate spats going on in this thread. Surely if we start querying the role of recruitment agencies in all this we can make it the most arguey thread ever?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here