Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job Interview

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I doubt you will get the job if you don't believe you have a chance in the first place.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Don't be afraid to admit what you don't know.

I've done a fair bit of recruitment and selection and we could always spot the bullshitters a mile off! Sadly, some of them had potential and might well have been given serious consideration but once you'd exposed total ignorance that had previously been declared as expertise, you were left questioning the truth about everything else on their application form.

Also, you can never do enough research into the organisation you want to work for. Far too often (even at management level) we'd interview candidates who simply hadn't bothered to find out the most basic of facts in this respect!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
This may sound a bit "No shit sherlock", but wear a suit, or at the very least a shirt and tie, and nice shiny shoes. You would not believe the amount of people (especially young people) I've seen turning up for interviews inappropriately dressed.

We were interviewing not so long ago and while the majority did turn up in suits or other very smart clothing, two people turned up in jeans and a t shirt.

Neither were successful for various reasons and when I called to let them know I told them the things we were looking for they lacked or whatever, I was doing it so they would be better prepared for the future but they acted like dressing smartly for an office job meeting with some clients on deals worth lots of money was far too much to ask.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not sure i'd know where to start with job interviews which is all a bit worrying when i've got 2 teenage sons who will be looking to me for advice on the matter, The last serious interview I had was over 30 years ago and things seem to have changed a bit since then. :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This may sound a bit "No shit sherlock", but wear a suit, or at the very least a shirt and tie, and nice shiny shoes. You would not believe the amount of people (especially young people) I've seen turning up for interviews inappropriately dressed.

I don't think that's true any more. No-one wears a tie in our organisations and you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish the journalists from the dossers on the South Bank.

We interviewed for junior journalists recently and only one wore a suit - and had to put up with a bit of jossing about being over-dressed.

You have to play it by ear a bit, although I agree that wearing jeans and T-shirt might be going a bit too far. It depends what field you're applying for, if it's a financial website, then a suit is probably essential, if it's a games or music site, you'd look like a dick.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
They wouldn't waste their time even interviewing you if they didn't think that you may be suitable.

Go for it :thumbsup:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

I was actively attempting to throw the interview for my current job as it suddenly seemed a lot worse than initially described (it is, but the pay covers the worse-ness more than adequately) and turned up "inappropriately dressed". They noted it as being 'unique' and it was a positive on their overall assessment.

However, you actively DO have to mad to work here; so this is unlikely to work in any customer-facing jobs, or indeed any other firm. So yes, make sure you're smartly dressed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even when I'm interviewing technicians I still expect them to make a bit of an effort. Doesn't have to be a suit necessarily, but anything less than a shirt and tie, then it would count against them. I'm giving up an hour of my day to talk to them - it wouldn't kill them to put a tie on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unless possibly they had some car trouble on the way, and it got caught in the engine.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
If they ask you anything difficult, keep quiet but move your lips as if you were speaking. Then stop, look confused for a moment, and mime being trapped in a glass box. Works every time for me.

Alternatively, just fart audibly and nod at the interviewer with a knowing smile on your face, as if to say: "Yeaaah, I think you're impressed now..."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If they ask you anything difficult, keep quiet but move your lips as if you were speaking. Then stop, look confused for a moment, and mime being trapped in a glass box. Works every time for me.

Alternatively, just fart audibly and nod at the interviewer with a knowing smile on your face, as if to say: "Yeaaah, I think you're impressed now..."

Good sound advice. Take heed.

You could also try doing your best impression of the character Ross from Freinds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was actively attempting to throw the interview for my current job as it suddenly seemed a lot worse than initially described (it is, but the pay covers the worse-ness more than adequately) and turned up \"inappropriately dressed\". They noted it as being \'unique\' and it was a positive on their overall assessment.
That Bernie Clifton riding an emu costume was a stroke of GENIUS though, to be fair.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'm a journalist (not a web kind, an old-fashioned kind), and I've been interviewed for SEVERAL jobs I haven't had a chance of getting. But always bear in mind that they might consider you for the next job, or the one after. So follow all the tips offered by Gwylan above, and think long-term.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Didnt expect to get an interview, i kno im capable of doing whats asked, but i think they want someone with experience etc

You can just be honest - say that you realise that you do not have the experience, but are very willing to learn, and you have to start somewhere to get experience.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Oooh, and sit upright in an interview - dont slouch. Talk confidently, without being arrogant. Use "open" body language, so don't cross your arms

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No jokes, no matter how nervous you are.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Also very importantly, these days for professional indemnity insurance etc etc, companies are obliged to run new starters through CRB checks etc.....therefore one of the things they will check is your qualifications.

We "caught" 5 people in the last few months putting stuff down they had not done!!!

Isnt that a criminal records check? Why would your qualifications come up on it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here