Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC to go out on loan?

richmond

May 30, 2008
Really hoping Jake will come to Oxford for the coming season. I go and take my 11 year old son to see them. Already got Andy Whing and Jake Wright so the more former and current Albion players, the sooner Oxford will get promotion!!

Andy Whing was Oxford's player of the season for 2011/12. had a storming second half of the year.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yep, not at all possible that we're going to sign any new midfielders. :)

Hopefully, of course, we will; and players that start ahead of Dicker, Harley and Sparrow rather than just warm the bench because of some mis-placed loyalty on Gus' part.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe we haven't agreed anything with a League One side because we want guaranteed game time. No point him going to a club and not getting to play.

I suppose I shouldn't be suprised but I am a little, thought with 7 subs he'd get a bit more of a look in this season. Still, hopefully it'll be a good experience for him.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That much is understood, and was excellent for some of the games he played for the first team (though it was at the time of a horrific injury and suspension list), but he is nothing like the finished article.

Where is his opportunity to learn the nitty-gritty of regular first-team league football by warming the bench?

He NEEDS that experience before returning to Brighton, so he can slot into the side a much more rounded and 'street-wise' player.

I'm just wondering if Alex Ferguson had the same issues with David Beckham going to Preston North End, or whether West Ham sending Frank Lampard to Swansea was considered an issue...?
Lampard didn't spend the season at Swansea, Beckham didn't spend the season at Preston.

I don't neccesarily object to Caskey going out on loan full stop, but for me sending him to League Two for the whole season, when he's clearly a better player than that level already seems a bit of a waste, and it weakens our squad too.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Providing he doesn't go somewhere that causes him to unlearn what he's been learning under Gus, it can only be good for him. You can't possibly develop your game playing reserve football - he needs regular exposure to the competitive environment of first team football. If he comes back stronger, fitter, more experienced and uninjured, and with Gus's footballing philosophy undamaged in his head, it will have been an all-round Good Thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lampard didn't spend the season at Swansea, Beckham didn't spend the season at Preston.

I don't neccesarily object to Caskey going out on loan full stop, but for me sending him to League Two for the whole season, when he's clearly a better player than that level already seems a bit of a waste, and it weakens our squad too.

To me, it's indicative of the possibility (maybe even 'probability') that he's not ready for sustained first-team football with the club.

Therefore, rather than warming the bench or playing for the stiffs here... etc.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
How can people not see that this is standard practice in football when it comes to highly-rated young players?! He goes and gets first team football, in a competitive league, and then comes back more a rounded player ready to push for a first team place with us. Also, yes it's a season-long loan but it's called a 'loan' because we can recall him if needs be due to injuries etc, so let's not react like we've just realeased the next 'big thing' for good.

Also, those on here making comments regarding our midfield consisting of just Dicker and Harley, then do you really think Gus would just loan out a promising centre-mid if there were no plans to bring anyone else in?

I know everyone is getting fed up with the lack of transfer activity (although we've already brought in a keeper and full-back and it's on July 5th), but I feel there is alot of complaining for sake of it going on here.

Trust Gus.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The thought of sparrow,harley and dicker leading our midfield is very worrying and probably the worst midfield in the league at the moment,let's hope we can ship two of them out and get two in asap:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Or it could be indicative that Gus is closing in on some GARGANTUAN midfield signings, meaning Jake would not get much of a look-in here.

I don't think a season in the hustle and bustle of L2 will do Jake any harm. It'll toughen him up while he continues to develop physically, and it'll be a good challenge for him to be playing regularly week-in week-out. Its exactly what he needs at this stage of his career IMO.

Yes I'd have enjoyed seeing a few cameos from him in the Championship this season, but overall I think this will work out best. He'll come back better for it, and it'll be like a new signing next summer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Realistically which League 2 club would want to take Harley on a season long loan ???

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
To me, it's indicative of the possibility (maybe even 'probability') that he's not ready for sustained first-team football with the club.

Therefore, rather than warming the bench or playing for the stiffs here... etc.
As I said, I'm not opposed to him going out on loan at all.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
To be honest, I'd rather he'd done this last year. In retrospect 2011-12 seems a bit of a wasted year, if he now goes out on loan for 2012-13.

It should have been year loan then potential squad player, but we've ended up doing it the other way round.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The move to L2 means that JFC will almost certainly start for either Burton or Oxford (who should both be at the top end of the table), whereas at a decent L1 side he may still have not got the amount of football that both he and we would like.

Sadly JFC was still likely to be too far down the pecking order to get anything more than a handful of game with us, at least this way he can play and we get to keep hold of him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be honest, I'd rather he'd done this last year. In retrospect 2011-12 seems a bit of a wasted year, if he now goes out on loan for 2012-13.

Hardly. He was a 17 year-old who is on a MASSIVE learning curve who got a brief (and deserved) opportunity at first-team football.

Not exactly 'wasted'.

It should have been year loan then potential squad player...

Actually, that is exactly what has happened.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
He's 18. Playing week in, week out at his age will be very good for him. I think the player himself would just like to be playing at the moment. He could quite easily sit on a bench in league one too you know.

So long as he plays plenty of games and not sat on a league 2 bench for the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here