Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC to go out on loan?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Jake did say when he signed his contract recently that it was likely he would be loaned out. I don't see why some on here are shocked. He's still very inexperienced at league level and a short loan could really have him coming back to us in top form.

Its not a short loan though. But a season with a basement team hopefully will get him ready to be part of our match day squad for 2013/14.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Was hoping he would get a club in League 1, but good move for him. He'll be back and will be quality

I'm willing to bet that there were a few League 1 clubs interested but maybe none with the sort of system/style of play which Gus wants JFC to be intergrated into. I'm not saying that I know for sure that Burton and Oxford model themselves on Barca, but i'm sure they've been checked out by our managment set-up and seen as a suitable match with the way we play.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Oxford

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Going to league 2 is a bloody insult to him,he done fantastic in the few games he did have last season and scored twice.He is better than harley and dicker already so don't get this:nono:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Going out on loan ought to mean he bypasses the bench and goes straight on to the pitch.

True enough, but here he would be training and playing with players of a better standard. That said what do I know about the technique of bringing a player through, maybe a year in league 2 is just what he needs.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I think he is good enough for the championship now but Gus knows best.

Does he? I suspect not always but then none of us are right all the time!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The words "season long" and "League Two" are deeply disappointing.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Pardon our ignorance, but what the f**k is he going to learn playing for a bunch of league 2 cloggers? I'm sure neither Oxford nor Burton play the same style as us, so he could easily come back a worse rather than better player! It's quite likely he wont get a kick as the ball sails over his head from end to end.
The kid is good enough to play in the championship, he's already shown what he can do and at the moment he could be the best attacking midfielder on our books.
Looks like the Dicker/Harley dream team in central midfield now then.

I agree 100%. Clearly we can now look forward to more of Harley, Sparrow and Dicker. Yippee doo.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Shame as I really hoped he'd be in our first team regularly this season. And he's much better than L2. But trust Gus' decision.

What was Gus' quote a year or so ago about being reluctant to send players out on loan because they won't play the same style he wants?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
fringe player at best at this stage in his career - a year out on loan would do this young lad a world of good. David Beckham was loaned out early in his career so it's not the end of the world by any means. Good luck to the lad I say and hopefully he can improve and comeback a better player.

Beckham was loaned for a few games to Preston, not for a whole season. There's no comparison, ManU were expecting DB to play at the very top of English football, so a few regular games to sharpen him up was a good idea, but JFC would only be playing midtable championship football in a team that has a style used by very few teams, and he has already shown that he can do a job at this level. As we are currently a bit weak when it comes to attacking midfielders, this seems like a backward step for him, but perhaps we are close to signing a couple of great midfielders so he wont get a look in for a while.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The words "season long" and "League Two" are deeply disappointing.

Agreed. This seems a daft decision to me. We ship out to a bunch of kickers and sloggers probably one of the most naturally talented players we have ever had at the club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have it good authorirty he's chosen to go to Oxford, and the deal is going through.
It'll be good for him, Oxford's a big club in that league, with decent crowds, and some good players. Nice place to live too.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd have thought he could definitely do the job in League One, so a League Two side will be getting a cracking signing.

It's a bit of a shame as I was hoping to see more of him in the first team for us this year, but this way he's guaranteed regular competitive football and it probably means Gus has player(s) coming in

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He's 18. Playing week in, week out at his age will be very good for him. I think the player himself would just like to be playing at the moment. He could quite easily sit on a bench in league one too you know.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't gus get upset with hoskins for being willing to go out on loan after the club ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
True enough, but here he would be training and playing with players of a better standard. That said what do I know about the technique of bringing a player through, maybe a year in league 2 is just what he needs.

That much is understood, and was excellent for some of the games he played for the first team (though it was at the time of a horrific injury and suspension list), but he is nothing like the finished article.

Where is his opportunity to learn the nitty-gritty of regular first-team league football by warming the bench?

He NEEDS that experience before returning to Brighton, so he can slot into the side a much more rounded and 'street-wise' player.

I'm just wondering if Alex Ferguson had the same issues with David Beckham going to Preston North End, or whether West Ham sending Frank Lampard to Swansea was considered an issue...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here