Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jade Goody (again)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Was he ever proven to be a performance enhancing drug cheat or was that brushed under the carpet given his recovery from cancer?

Don't be ridiculous. Once famous people get cancer, they instantly become brave defiant fighters who are genetically incapable of ever doing or indeed ever having done anything wrong. Everyone knows that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good article, cheers for posting that ROSM. I don't agree with all of it about Goody herself, and it bears all the usual Burchill ranting hallmarks, but there is something in there. I think my main problem with Goody's rise to fame (as opposed to what is going on now) has been the glorification of ignorance.

Kids should want to get educated, not aspire to being as ignorant as Jade. And we've somehow put her on a pedestal and said 'This is fine, here's a role model kids'.

But on the 'hatred' stuff Burchill has a point, when you look at some of the bile that gets exchanged on here between people that don't know each other and have never met, it does make you wonder what they did before the internet. Kick the dog?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jade Goody is a product of the people who watch Big Brother. She has simply made the best of what she has and been helped along the way. The fact that she's not very bright is the main reason for her 'success'. I'm not a fan personally but I don't begrudge her her fame (such that it is) as there are plenty of people around who have made a lot more money for doing a lot less. As far as I know she's never broken any laws.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think we should ask, ahem, "Icy" for his opinion, don't you?

Oh on second thoughts, forget it, I've just thrown up...

Dear oh dear.

Kosh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Together we could be tedious and wearisome, I'm sure we'd make a great team!

I find tedium is at home in this thread.

You're obviously a true wit, I look forward to reading more of your undeniable thread saving comic interventions in the ensuing weeks.

You're a real NSC special.

Kosh

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On balance I think Jade has been poorly advised and I think this is all in rather poor taste.

She's doing the wedding deal to provide money for her kids - WRONG! She doesn't need the money as she already has pots of money and her impending death will no doubt spawn countless other books and TV programmes.

Furthermore, how is marrying jailbird, two-timing low-life thicky Jack Tweed going to help her kids? I can see him pissing and sniffing up her estate leaving them with f*** all.

These deals help Jade Goody feel better about her post-Shilpa "Poppadum" Shetty legacy, and they help Max Clifford's bank balance.

And for all the good she'd done by raising awareness of cervical cancer in young women I think that been overshadowed by the overall bad example she's set, i.e. that being stupid is cool, that's she's some media starlet 'woman in control' when she's just been cynically exploited by series of men out for their own ends, be they Jack Tweed on for the free ride, Max Clifford in for a fast buck, the CBB producers desperately trying to raise flagging rating etc.

She really embodies the Uk's media' obsessed Naughties decade better than any one else, and her impending death is reminiscent of the whole Sid Vicious circus 31 years ago.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On balance I think Jade has been poorly advised and I think this is all in rather poor taste.

She's doing the wedding deal to provide money for her kids - WRONG! She doesn't need the money as she already has pots of money and her impending death will no doubt spawn countless other books and TV programmes.

Furthermore, how is marrying jailbird, two-timing low-life thicky Jack Tweed going to help her kids? I can see him pissing and sniffing up her estate leaving them with f*** all.

These deals help Jade Goody feel better about her post-Shilpa "Poppadum" Shetty legacy, and they help Max Clifford's bank balance.

And for all the good she'd done by raising awareness of cervical cancer in young women I think that been overshadowed by the overall bad example she's set, i.e. that being stupid is cool, that's she's some media starlet 'woman in control' when she's just been cynically exploited by series of men out for their own ends, be they Jack Tweed on for the free ride, Max Clifford in for a fast buck, the CBB producers desperately trying to raise flagging rating etc.

She really embodies the Uk's media' obsessed Naughties decade better than any one else, and her impending death is reminiscent of the whole Sid Vicious circus 31 years ago.

Can't see anything wrong with her making more money for her family. The point has been made by several posters that she is raising awareness of her illness. This makes her a bad person ?

When you die would you not want your offspring to have has much as you can give them ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She's opted to turn the last few weeks of her life into a media circus for the sake of a million quid that, in all honesty, she doesn't need.

She's already made more from her "career" than she could ever have dreamed of by doing a normal job so, no, it shouldn't all be about the money. You've made your pile love, so how about just spending time with her kids in private in a dignified way, the choice most people would make?

She's clearly not a 'bad' person, but it would be naive to believe her motives are solely to promote awareness of her illness. And I think people have already got the message about cervical cancer, so enough already.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with her marrying Tweed - anyone watching CBB knows he's scum with all the wrong motives.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Does anyone else have the sneaking feeling that she might make a surprise recovery?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jade Goody: The Resurrection. Jade is Jesus.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A lot of the problem with Ms Goody is that people resent her wealth. I can understand that fully but still cannot see what is so wrong with her current actions. Don't we all want to make as much money as we can ? As I say, what's she's doing is not illegal.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A lot of the problem with Ms Goody is that people resent her wealth. I can understand that fully but still cannot see what is so wrong with her current actions. Don't we all want to make as much money as we can ? As I say, what's she's doing is not illegal.

Life isn't all about money though, is it? You need enough, but after that people won't remember you for how much money you had. It's about what you do. Unless you're the Sultan of Brunei. He is known because of how much money he's got.

Have you considered the possibility that some of this might be thrown back at her own kids in the future by other kids in the playground, etc? There is a balance to be struck, surely, between providing for them and sacrificing all dignity.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That Burchill woman can do one. :tosser:

I have every sympathy with Jade Goody. I did not like her when she was on tv but that does not prevent me from having some human compassion for someone who's life is going to be cut short.

Who can really blame her for trying to earn some money for her kids' futures? For many of us who aren't in her position it does seem a little bit repugnant but I am sure that a lot of us would soon change our tune if Ok or Hello came knocking.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Let me make a little prediction.

After her death there will be an almighty punch up between the new low life husband and her mother. The money will be the key driver, but the kids will end up being caught in the middle. It will all end in tears.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I suppose it is the only way she can earn money so it is hard to begrudge her that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here