Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Part of the Reason we Cannot Score?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
agree i spose. dunno bout taylor actually - it's close. and yes mcshane and carole have been by FAR the best two players innit.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:
Taylor won the second division, McGhee had to get us promoted via the play offs?

But Magoo didn't cry off in the Championship. By leaving and citing financial difficulties, Taylor effectively admitted he couldn't keep us up, which Magoo has done. I'd rather have Coppell but certainly not Taylor.

As someone mentioned, Zamora helped as well.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hannibal smith said:
But Magoo didn't cry off in the Championship. By leaving and citing financial difficulties, Taylor effectively admitted he couldn't keep us up, which Magoo has done. I'd rather have Coppell but certainly not Taylor.

As someone mentioned, Zamora helped as well.

As did Knight

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Zamora was a more all round player than Knight and far more down to earth. Yet in the third tier of English football they scored roughly the same amount of goals.

Not sure what you mean. We aren't in the 3rd tier and the difference is vast.

You can't possibly mean that inheriting Knight and Zamora is the same thing.

Can you ? :ohmy: :ohmy:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I dont think it is JUST the forwards fault. The service they get is appalling at times and rarely do any of our midfield get ahead of the ball and occupy defenders.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
Not sure what you mean. We aren't in the 3rd tier and the difference is vast.

You can't possibly mean that inheriting Knight and Zamora is the same thing.

Can you ? :ohmy: :ohmy:

I think they are very different players. Zamora could lead the line on his own, which he did often, due to systems and Lee Steeles driving issues. Knight needs the team built around him, when this was done he scored a lot of goals. Move up a league, Knight is playing in a different system and struggles, Zamora is playing in similar one that he has always done and still scores. It is called playing to players strengths.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Richie Morris said:
I dont think it is JUST the forwards fault. The service they get is appalling at times and rarely do any of our midfield get ahead of the ball and occupy defenders.

I actually think the midfield has been the problem for ages - the only time we seemed to boss games in midfield was when we had 5 in there when Junior Lewis was here which released Brooker, Hart and Melton into forward positions to join Zamora - or maybe i'm just creaming my pants about that Raading game a few years ago (@ home 3-1)- probably the best Albion performance for ages!

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Trouble is everytime we have tried to play in midfield since (well 4-5-1) it hasn't worked...'cos the lack of a player like Zamora to hold the ball up - same old problem. Coppell tried 3-5-2 which seemed to work quite well - but that would mean dropping Fruity &/or Carole

Easy 10 said:
:lifts hand guiltily:

:clap: :clap: :clap: At least there is one honest man on here. I'm willing to bet plenty of the people who've slagged off McGhee's signing of Malongo were also exercising their voices that day, and would never have forgiven McGhee if we hadn't taken a chance on him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Coppell brought in short term fixes, two of whom were old and ended up injured and paid for a year. Long term I feel we will benefit more from McGhee's signings, if we can just survive this season. Coppell also had Zamora who made a big difference in terms of the games we won I believe, although not fit for a large part of the season. Sidwell in his brief stint here also made a difference.

We need to see the legacy of MM's signings to get a clear idea of who made the biggest influence to the Albion as a club. let's not forget the sale of Currie and Virgo who made a massive difference to the club's finances, Coppell made nothing for us in that area

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Coppell brought in short term fixes, two of whom were old and ended up injured and paid for a year.

I always think Rodger gets a harsh press on this. Blackwell got injured prior to signing the contract and for whatever reason we honoured that deal.

Rodger signed his contract, played the first 2 months of the season and then got injured, something that when he signed we could not legislate for.

At the end of their contracts the club kept them on week to week deals to prove their fitness, when they could not, the 2 retired.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Brighton v Wolves: - Kazim-Richards and Knight
Stoke v Brighton: - Kazim-Richards and Robinson
Brighton v Crystal Palace: - Knight and Robinson
Cardiff v Brighton: - Knight and McPhee
Brighton v Derby: - Knight and McPhee
Watford v Brighton: - Kazim-Richards and Robinson
Reading v Brighton: - Knight
Brighton v Hull: - Hart and Kazim-Richards
Brighton v QPR: - Kazim-Richards and Knight
Luton v Brighton: - McCammon and Turienzo
Brighton v Millwall: - McCammon and Kazim-Richards
Southampton v Brighton: - McCammon and Robinson
Brighton v Coventry: - Kazim-Richards and Carole

Now I know there have been some changes due to suspensions etc, but in the last 13 games, there has only been one instance where the same striker pairing has played 2 games in succesion together which was Knight and McPhee for the Cardiff and Derby games.

Now surely if we looked at playing the same pairing for a run of games they might learn each others strengths and weaknesses and build up an understanding? Got to be worth a try.

VERY good point. I had no idea it was quite that bad. Exposes McGhee's idiocy rather.

:clap:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
No, complete red herring - you've seen those games and how effective all those players have been.

We need a new player, period.

Not allowing a strike pairing to develop HAS made a difference, and that is MM's fault, IMHO...

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Just for arguments sake on what strike force has been the most effective onesthis season, i have worked out it has been Knight & Robinson and CKR and Harty, for points per game ratio. Now i know that different opponents have different defenders and just because the starting line up of CKR and hart beat hull doesn't mean that they would have beaten coventry but i have done this more for out of intressted than to slag player/players off but this is our points per game ratio with the different starting line ups:

CKR & Knight – 4 points in 2 games
CKR & Robinson – 1 Point in 2 games
Knight & Robinson – 3 points in 1 game
Knight & Mcphee -2 points in 2 games
Knight – 0 points in 1 game
Hart & CKR – 3 points in 1 game
McCammon & Turienzo – 0 points in 1 game
McCammon & CKR – 0 points in 1 game
McCammon & Robinson – 0 points in 1 game
CKR & Carole – Lost cup game

I still think hart should have been upfront with CKR on saturday tho

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: At least there is one honest man on here. I'm willing to bet plenty of the people who've slagged off McGhee's signing of Malongo were also exercising their voices that day, and would never have forgiven McGhee if we hadn't taken a chance on him.
:blush:
I thought the fella looked MUSTARD at Crawley. Shows what I know.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Brighton v Wolves: - Kazim-Richards and Knight
Stoke v Brighton: - Kazim-Richards and Robinson
Brighton v Crystal Palace: - Knight and Robinson
Cardiff v Brighton: - Knight and McPhee
Brighton v Derby: - Knight and McPhee
Watford v Brighton: - Kazim-Richards and Robinson
Reading v Brighton: - Knight
Brighton v Hull: - Hart and Kazim-Richards
Brighton v QPR: - Kazim-Richards and Knight
Luton v Brighton: - McCammon and Turienzo
Brighton v Millwall: - McCammon and Kazim-Richards
Southampton v Brighton: - McCammon and Robinson
Brighton v Coventry: - Kazim-Richards and Carole

Now I know there have been some changes due to suspensions etc, but in the last 13 games, there has only been one instance where the same striker pairing has played 2 games in succesion together which was Knight and McPhee for the Cardiff and Derby games.

Now surely if we looked at playing the same pairing for a run of games they might learn each others strengths and weaknesses and build up an understanding? Got to be worth a try.

There's a flaw in your hypothesis as, with the greatest respect to Bobby's team mates at the time, Bobby Zamora played with part time DJ's and for all he cared it could have been turds week in week out and he scored goals. I concur, either a striker converts the chances into goals or he doesn't, ours or wannabe strikers haven't. If he needs to hold hands and go steady with another striker to get that 'understanding' then he ought not turn out for Brighton because actually we're doing alright for chances, just no-one manages to get their blessed banjo within an inch of the barn door.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
:blush:
I thought the fella looked MUSTARD at Crawley. Shows what I know.
You weren't the only one. Most people on that terrace thought exactly the same including me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here