Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Part of the Reason we Cannot Score?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
It's great, isn't it, that all the goons who replied to my challenge haven't named one common partnership

Thats because football is a game of opinions.

My opinion is Magoo should be sacked. Yours is that he is doing a good job. You will argue your facts I will argue mine. Your opinion my opinion. We will spout facts to support each argument.

Same with the strike pairing. However what I think the general consensus is that we do need a pairing and for it to be stuck with for a few games. Opionion is divided as to who is the best.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Simster said:
You need to play consistently in order to pick up form, you muppet.

So on that basis we should have stuck with Molango until he picked up that elusive form we were all looking for :nono:

To recap the question was 'Is the reason we can't score because McGhee keeps changing the front two ?'

The answer seems to be 'That's bloody obviously the case but don't ask me who because none of them as a pair offer what we need but if we give a couple enough games it will be alright'

It just doesn't add up.

THE partnership isn't there and it won't just appear from sticking with something, WE NEED A DECENT STRIKER TO PROVIDE A PRESENCE and to form a partnership with our best other option which is undoubtedly CKR.

Note that I said DECENT, not even fantastic and he might not even need to score hatfuls himself ( although a few would be nice ! ). Just someone to lead the line, bring others into the game ( a la Crouch ) and give CKR someone to play off.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sid James said:
So on that basis we should have stuck with Molango until he picked up that elusive form we were all looking for :nono:
Yes that's right - but only if you are of the opinion that Molango has the ability to lead the line or even play in tandem with A.N. Other effectively. Obviously, I think none of us believe that. I do however believe both McCammon and Robinson could be twice the players they are if they were given time to form a partnership with CKR.

McCammon would be a major asset if he could run with the ball at his feet, or failing that, knew where and when to play the pass to a strike partner - a skill that can come with time. He can already hold the ball up effectively - and he can score with his head.

Robinson does little in the air but might be more effective when he learns to drop off his marker and create more space for his strike partner. But he certainly looks more dangerous than McCammon with the ball at his feet (until he falls over). But again the problem appears to be not knowing when to release the ball, and instead just giving it away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
McCammon is still getting back to full fitness and may well get a sustained run if we don't sign anyone. That should piss off loads of people on here who are calling for continuity as I don't think they want Big Mac included in the equation

Simster said:
No, no I haven't. The fact that I'm not sure who the second striker should be does not mean I want McGhee to change the second striker every game. :simpleton:
Classic :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
However what I think the general consensus is that we do need a pairing and for it to be stuck with for a few games. Opionion is divided as to who is the best.

Just that small matter then :)

Do you not think the fact that opinion is divided on who is the best inevitably and logically leads to different players being given the chance?

Too many on here are putting the chickencart before the horse-egg.

Last edited:

Simster said:
:rugbyfan: : prawn-sandwich: :dunce:

Oh look, one of them worked!

I see why you would be pleased with a success rate of 1 in 3, it beats your average :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
:rugbyfan: : prawn-sandwich: :dunce:

Oh look, one of them worked!

Now you mention rugby come on you Quins :clap2: :clap2:

played 14 won 14

Nat Lge1 Table

National League Division One Table
Team P W D L F A BP PTS
1 Harlequins 14 14 0 0 509 174 9 65
2 Cornish Pirates 14 12 0 2 431 305 8 56
3 Bedford 14 11 1 2 446 254 10 56
4 Plymouth Albion 14 8 0 6 325 268 10 42
5 Earth Titans 13 8 0 5 289 292 5 37
6 Newbury 14 6 1 7 383 453 6 32
7 Exeter 14 6 0 8 272 345 7 31
8 Nottingham 13 5 0 8 297 288 8 28
9 Otley 14 5 1 8 279 359 4 26
10 Coventry 14 4 0 10 291 332 10 26
11 Doncaster 14 5 1 8 284 369 3 25
12 London Welsh 14 3 1 10 291 348 7 21
13 Pertemps Bees 14 3 2 9 282 392 3 19
14 Sedgley Park 14 3 1 10 259 459 4 18

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
Just that small matter then :)

Do you not think the fact that opinion is divided on who is the best inevitably and logically leads to different players being given the chance?

Too many on here are putting the chickencart before the horse-egg.
No. Go and have a look on any other championship board with settled strikers and I think you'll find opinion will be divided on whether the settled two should be the first choice. Even Reading - leading by 20odd points - have Lita sitting on the bench and I suspect that there are a few who would rather he started ahead of Doyle.

Maybe the importance of a settled front pairing will dawn on you after you've been watching the game for more than a couple of years, or if you tried playing the round ball game yourself for a Sunday league side or something instead of wasting your time with kick-and-clap.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Is Mark Evans banging on about no relegation from the Premiership, as I think he has a point and it should be brought in immediately...][/QUOTE] :lolol: :lolol:

Icy Gull said:
Now you mention rugby come on you Quins :clap2: :clap2:

played 14 won 14

Nat Lge1 Table

National League Division One Table
Team P W D L F A BP PTS
1 Harlequins 14 14 0 0 509 174 9 65
2 Cornish Pirates 14 12 0 2 431 305 8 56
3 Bedford 14 11 1 2 446 254 10 56
4 Plymouth Albion 14 8 0 6 325 268 10 42
5 Earth Titans 13 8 0 5 289 292 5 37
6 Newbury 14 6 1 7 383 453 6 32
7 Exeter 14 6 0 8 272 345 7 31
8 Nottingham 13 5 0 8 297 288 8 28
9 Otley 14 5 1 8 279 359 4 26
10 Coventry 14 4 0 10 291 332 10 26
11 Doncaster 14 5 1 8 284 369 3 25
12 London Welsh 14 3 1 10 291 348 7 21
13 Pertemps Bees 14 3 2 9 282 392 3 19
14 Sedgley Park 14 3 1 10 259 459 4 18 [/B

Simster said:
It also beats 4 in 45 - a rate that you seem happy with. :dunce:

Ah, but I don't indulge in the luxury of being a McGhee basher and then a McGhee praiser when the mood suits me. Only unprincipled, clueless goons do that. What is your position on McGhee's handling of Knight again? You seem to argue something different every time I see you post.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Simster said:
No. Go and have a look on any other championship board with settled strikers and I think you'll find opinion will be divided on whether the settled two should be the first choice. Even Reading - leading by 20odd points - have Lita sitting on the bench and I suspect that there are a few who would rather he started ahead of Doyle.

Maybe the importance of a settled front pairing will dawn on you after you've been watching the game for more than a couple of years, or if you tried playing the round ball game yourself for a Sunday league side or something instead of wasting your time with kick-and-clap.

What a totally ridiculous comment. Do we have anything like their embarassment of riches ?

You make out McGhee is just rotating for the sake of it rather than trying to win football matches.

Last edited:

Simster said:
Even Reading - leading by 20odd points - have Lita sitting on the bench and I suspect that there are a few who would rather he started ahead of Doyle.

Is this you forecasting that Lita (who has been out with an injury) won't get a game for the foreseeable future then? Are you confident of that?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Is this you forecasting that Lita (who has been out with an injury) won't get a game for the foreseeable future then? Are you confident of that?

Well if Coppell works on the principles of the guy in possession of the shirt keeps it until he is not performing and not changing a winning side, then he may well be building up a splinter collection in his arse for a wee while longer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sid James said:
What a totally ridiculous comment. Do we have anything like their embarassment of riches ?
Eh? I'm not suggesting we could be like them! All I'm saying is that a) we'd get better results if we didn't rotate our strikers every other game (or more) and b) that most other teams play the same two strikers for prolonged periods until one is out of form or gets injured. And even then, you will find their fans debating which two should start. Do me a favour and read the thread before getting all cross FFS.

Sid James said:
You make out McGhee is just rotating for the sake of it rather than trying to win football matches.
Again, no I'm not. I'm suggesting that striker rotation taken to the extreme it is being taken is doing us absolutely no favours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here