Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Part of the Reason we Cannot Score?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Coppell used the resources available to him more effectively?

You're right, I expect McGhee would have left Bobby on the bench for being a bit too professional. Might even have kicked him off the bus.

Don't get me wrong, Coppell was a very good manager and thats why he went on to better things. We are what we are.

Uncle Buck said:
Just showing that McGhee's predecessor in this league managed to get results at Withdean. You were the one that tried to use McGhee's home record in the division below, but Coppells record is still better, using the raw stats.
But it's another pointless, childish debate. The only fact about Coppell that is relevant is that he decided to leave us and go to Reading. Good luck to him, a very fine manager.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
a lot better than Mcghee - FACT.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
dunno if that was taking the piss or u trying to be funny.either way it didnt work. managers have to live up to previous managers standards - i thought taylor and Coppell lived up to Adam's HIGH standards - Mcghee hasnt really...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
But it's another pointless, childish debate. The only fact about Coppell that is relevant is that he decided to leave us and go to Reading. Good luck to him, a very fine manager.

He has left and he is doing well and good luck to him.

But people argue that McGhee is doing the best with the resources and budget available to him, but I suspect the budget has not changed that much since when Coppell was here, yet Coppell performed better with what he inherited, than McGhee is with what he has built. This current squad, with the exception of McPhee, is McGhee's squad.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
sheebo said:
managers have to live up to previous managers standards - i thought taylor and Coppell lived up to Adam's HIGH standards - Mcghee hasnt really...

Getting us in this division is a bit shoddy isn't it. :shootself

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
mcghee scrapped us into this league. when he took over we were top if not 2nd or 3rd i believe. When Coppell left we were top i think. he just got us up.... ive always been behind Mcghee but my minds changing...

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
sheebo said:
dunno if that was taking the piss or u trying to be funny.either way it didnt work. managers have to live up to previous managers standards - i thought taylor and Coppell lived up to Adam's HIGH standards - Mcghee hasnt really...

I don't know how you can argue that he hasn't lived up to Taylor's standards. Not only did he take us up, he kept us up for a season and didn't walk away from the club citing financial difficulties which he knew about when he joined anyway.

You could even argue that keeping us up was more than Coppell did in his season (Although, I appreciate Coppell started from 11 defeats in a row).

McGhee has not become a bad manager overnight - a few dodgy signings, some good ones and some very good ones. I'll back him even if we go down.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
what is the point in getting a new striker? he will not be given the chance to settle in as every week he will be playing with a different partner

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
He has left and he is doing well and good luck to him.

But people argue that McGhee is doing the best with the resources and budget available to him, but I suspect the budget has not changed that much since when Coppell was here, yet Coppell performed better with what he inherited, than McGhee is with what he has built. This current squad, with the exception of McPhee, is McGhee's squad.

If I could have Coppell back then I would but you can't just gloss over the fact that Coppell inherited one of the better strikers this club has had. McGhee had no such luxury and so instead brought Adam Virgo up from the reserves and raised £1.5m to pay lawyers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
mghee did well to keep us up yes but the fact other managers walked doesnt mean they arent good and doesnt make magoo any better. those 3 are clearly better managers than magoo in my opinion.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
sheebo said:
mghee did well to keep us up yes but the fact other managers walked doesnt mean they arent good and doesnt make magoo any better. those 3 are clearly better managers than magoo in my opinion.

So, If McGhee walked after keeping us up last season, would he be better in your estimation than say Taylor?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
no - read again..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
doesnt matter if they walk or not as a manager the other 3 were better. there's always a shock in mcghees team selection at the moment isnt there...its never obvious what team he'll play. that gets to me - no stability...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
I wonder if anyone on here will now admit to being part of the 80 per cent of Albion fans who chanted "sign him him, sign him up" at the 2004 Crawley pre-season game after Malongo scored two fine goals that day? :)
:lifts hand guiltily:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
sheebo said:
doesnt matter if they walk or not as a manager the other 3 were better. there's always a shock in mcghees team selection at the moment isnt there...its never obvious what team he'll play. that gets to me - no stability...

I'd argue that the reason there is no stability up front is due to their being no stand out player. None of Robinson, McCammon, McPhee, CKR even Knight have proved themselves to be the number 1 striker at the club. We cant agree on this thread who should play.

McGhee, wouldn't, for instance, drop McShane or Carole IMO our 2 best players this season, who consistently prove they should be picked.

P.S I still can't see how Taylor is argued to be better than McGhee.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
If I could have Coppell back then I would but you can't just gloss over the fact that Coppell inherited one of the better strikers this club has had. McGhee had no such luxury and so instead brought Adam Virgo up from the reserves and raised £1.5m to pay lawyers.

Zamora was a more all round player than Knight and far more down to earth. Yet in the third tier of English football they scored roughly the same amount of goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here