Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is poyet THICK?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I quite agree with that. However, even when we had a jocko manager, Joe Dolan in defence and an athletics stadium as our home we actually still managed to score the occasional goal in this league - something that Poyet is FAILING to oversee despite the vast fortune at his disposal, 20,000 crowds and several £1m+ players.

Pretty sure it's only CMS and Buckley who cost over £1million and Buckley's been injured most of the season. If you're counting the add ons then CMS is £3.5 mil of the £5mil your talking about. So taking one player out of the mix and we've not spent that much more than we previously have in lg 1 - ie £300k odd for Greer etc... Teams in this div have spent a lot more than us - we're doing well overall.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
On the plus side, we won't have to pay any of the add-ons for CMS as he can't hit a barndoor

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Gus chose to spend a hefty chunk of the budget on one player. It makes no difference if you spend £3.5m on one player or £3.50 on each and build a squad of a MILLION MEN!

It makes me angry that Palace are kicking our arses all over the Championship with a fraction of the money and a jocko manager. And they're far from the only ones who haven't spent the sort of money we have.

Money dosn't buy you everything. We have spent years putting our squad together and we are lucky we have such a good academy that we have three quality players we paid nothing for. They would cost us £20 million if we were to buy them in the transfer market. Without those three players we would be struggling.

Freedman is a good decent manager.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Pretty sure it's only CMS and Buckley who cost over £1million and Buckley's been injured most of the season. If you're counting the add ons then CMS is £3.5 mil of the £5mil your talking about. So taking one player out of the mix and we've not spent that much more than we previously have in lg 1 - ie £300k odd for Greer etc... Teams in this div have spent a lot more than us - we're doing well overall.

£2.5million - Mackail-Smith
£1million - Buckley
£500k - Hoskins
£300k - Greer
£300k - Noone
£250k? - LuaLua
£250k - Harley
£100k - Vincelot
£100k - Barnes

Thats over £5million, yes we got some back for Bennett too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you know that for a fact.

Btw im not calling you a liar im just asking.

I understand we offered him about £6,000 a week, which was double his original wage and no signing on fee. Palace put him on the top of their scale, which is £8,000 a week, and offered him £75k to sign on. I have heard this from a journalist, so can't say it as fact, but have no reason to doubt the person who told me.

As for the Gus issue, Muzza is a complex, introverted individual, and needs to be encouraged. I think Poyet fancied someone who was less high maintenance and a bit more flamboyant in personality.

It's a shame.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It makes me angry that Palace are kicking our arses all over the Championship with a fraction of the money and a jocko manager. And they're far from the only ones who haven't spent the sort of money we have.

It's almost as if they have experience of this division and how to survive in it. I just don't get it.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
I understand we offered him about £6,000 a week, which was double his original wage and no signing on fee. Palace put him on the top of their scale, which is £8,000 a week, and offered him £75k to sign on. I have heard this from a journalist, so can't say it as fact, but have no reason to doubt the person who told me.

As for the Gus issue, Muzza is a complex, introverted individual, and needs to be encouraged. I think Poyet fancied someone who was less high maintenance and a bit more flamboyant in personality.

It's a shame.

Our highest paid player is on 12k a week. (Ambrose) Our local journalist said that Murray is on about £8k.

I reckon if you had kept Murray you would be in the top 3.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
£2.5million - Mackail-Smith
£1million - Buckley
£500k - Hoskins
£300k - Greer
£300k - Noone
£250k? - LuaLua
£250k - Harley
£100k - Vincelot
£100k - Barnes

Thats over £5million, yes we got some back for Bennett too.

I thought the 5mil he was quoting was just this seasons signings. Either way, despite going through a rough patch, we're doing well this season at the moment. People expect too much or just like to have something to moan about.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gus chose to spend a hefty chunk of the budget on one player. It makes no difference if you spend £3.5m on one player or £3.50 on each and build a squad of a MILLION MEN!

Except you are totally wrong. Palace have been paying Championship level wages for a long time, have averaged crowds of two or three times our level during that period, and have been bankrolled (and bankrupted) two chairman for over £80 million. They have had the benefit of the Championship TV deal during this period too (and the PL one too). In addition Palace have invested heavily in their academy, and have reaped the rewards.

We are playing catchup, your selective use of the footballing and financial facts show a worrying lack of research from a graduate. Your casual racism in relation to their 'jocko' manager does you no favours either.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I thought the 5mil he was quoting was just this seasons signings. Either way, despite going through a rough patch, we're doing well this season at the moment. People expect too much or just like to have something to moan about.

From that list, thats £4.6million spent this season. I agree we are doing OK, its our highest position in the league hierarchy at the turn of the year since 1985 I think. Obviously its not perfect, but its a learning curve with mainly league one players being used

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here