Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would imagine the majority that have spoken out against the booing aren’t “upset” by it, but just feel it’s a bit sad, infantile and embarrassing - however, that is just my feeling, so maybe they are all really upset!
Football isn’t real life its a chance to forget about all the usual shite life throws at you, screaming obscenities at a ref or lino is just as infantile if you think about it yet we all do it from time to time, it went on to build a fantastic Wembley atmosphere, jealous I wasn’t there tbh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Unfortunately, our half wits are front and centre at the moment.

It is embarrassing but I think most people see it for what it is. A small minority of people sharing their ignorance with the world.

Same as singing songs about the war and booing the taking of the knee.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Always embarassing.

England fans the worst thing about the English national football team.

Yes. Luckily it didn’t effect outcome but our players must have thought what absolute bellends those who booed are

Thick headed morons who show a lack of class. Just makes me hate being English. But then so much of society is like this now. I think I just hate the human race.

Britain post-brexit I'm afraid. Revolting.

We're a nasty little rock, really. Always have been.

Near enough the whole set of right wing nationalists on this thread, just need [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] to add his own brand of intellectual comment and that’ll be a full house.

Every English fan at that match should be refused future tickets.

I'm not embarrassed, they simply embarrass themselves alongside the thick as mince racist minority.

All countries have them, they are nothing to do with me.

Knit one, pearl one.................

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's rather amusing how people making a dull noise can trigger other people so much.

So emotionally fragile.

I know right, you would think people would be able to read people posting about finding booing embarrassing without getting so upset.

Emotionally fragile indeed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I know right, you would think people would be able to read people posting about finding booing embarrassing without getting so upset.

Emotionally fragile indeed.

I'm not upset in the slightest.

I grew up watching Hulk Hogan v Iron Sheik.

Booing is funny as ****, something to laugh about.

Sad sack.

Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

Grow up and wipe those tears away haha! Not embarrassed in the slightest, it adds to to the element of an old enemy on the pitch in Germany. If they booed, would I care, no. I love Germany, but love to have them as a rival on the pitch in football.

Booing a national anthem is not disrespectful during a game of two old rivals.

Ours may get booed in Rome, would I care, no.

God we have some whiney old men on this board. Learn to love the moment and be proud of this team, this country and our fans. I am.

We needed this after the shite year we've had.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's rather amusing how people making a dull noise can trigger other people so much.

So emotionally fragile.

I'm not upset in the slightest.

I grew up watching Hulk Hogan v Iron Sheik.

Booing is funny as ****, something to laugh about.

Sad sack.

So it is simultaneously a 'dull noise' that surprises you when it elicits a response and "funny as ****" (I would suggest this is because you grew up watching Paul Hogan - but that is another discussion :lolol::lolol:).

You seem a little conflicted on this issue. should it prompt a response or not?

Forget football for a minute. We live in a very diverse, multicultural society with, comparitevely speaking - things aren't perfect, very few problems and a minor far right presence compared to many other western countries, including Germany in fact.

Football remains very tribal in this country at a national level for a certain section of England fans who attend games; there's not so much of a differentiation between club and country for those, for better or worse. Im sure it exists abroad too, but the more ultra, working class fans in a lot of western countries don't seem to attend national games - seems a lot more middle class, including Germany if you take the fans that seemed to be in attendance tonight as an example compared to games I've been to in Germany - pretty bloody rough.

That's all there is to it. Hardly representative of society at large.

Correct answer.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Football isn’t real life its a chance to forget about all the usual shite life throws at you, screaming obscenities at a ref or lino is just as infantile if you think about it yet we all do it from time to time, it went on to build a fantastic Wembley atmosphere, jealous I wasn’t there tbh.

Agree about hurling abuse at refs and singing derogatory songs about the opposition. Maybe it’s just my age, maybe it comes on the back of the Chris Whitty video thing and that whole bantz mentality, but I just find the booing of a national anthem, any national anthem, a bit sad! And yes I know it’s been going on for years, it just seems all to readily accepted and acceptable.

Anyway, I’ve pissed enough people off with my snowflakery, so I’m out of here to sober up and get some sleep! :)

Onwards to Rome - come on you whites/reds/whatever colour we’re playing in!

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Was great to see the ‘the knee should be scrapped, politics have no place in football’ crowd chanting 10 German Bombers. It’s almost like a comedy sketch

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So it is simultaneously a 'dull noise' that surprises you when it elicits a response and "funny as ****" (I would suggest this is because you grew up watching Paul Hogan - but that is another discussion :lolol::lolol:).

You seem a little conflicted on this issue. should it prompt a response or not?

Not conflicted at all.

Eliciting a laugh is instantaneous.

Writing whole paragraphs on why boo boos are bad is a whole different level.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not conflicted at all.

Eliciting a laugh is instantaneous.

Writing whole paragraphs on why boo boos are bad is a whole different level.

Honestly though, (sorry I have to ask) do you actually physically laugh at the booing of a national anthem?

For the record, I don't mean this is a 'how can you laugh at something so heinous?" way it is more in a "How can you laugh at something that benign?" way.

I guess you have to understand the mentality of the people that boo to get it.

The wit and hilarity of football crowds is one of the joys of attending football. I just don't see it with booing a national anthem.

Never really got pantomimes either though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Honestly though, (sorry I have to ask) do you actually physically laugh at the booing of a national anthem?

For the record, I don't mean this is a 'how can you laugh at something so heinous?" way it is more in a "How can you laugh at something that benign?" way.

I guess you have to understand the mentality of the people that boo to get it.

The wit and hilarity of football crowds is one of the joys of attending football. I just don't see it with booing a national anthem.

Never really got pantomimes either though.

I don't rate national anthems. So yes I'd laugh at the theatre around me.

God Save The Queen, why wouldn't I laugh if people booed that crap?

If you're playing that tune at the MCG I'd hope there were lots of boos and laughing while that dirge was being played.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't rate national anthems. So yes I'd laugh at the theatre around me.

God Save The Queen, why wouldn't I laugh if people booed that crap?

If you're playing that tune at the MCG I'd hope there were lots of boos and laughing while that dirge was being played.

I guess you are so lucky to be so easily amused. :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

D

Deleted member 22389

Booing the German National Anthem has been going on for years, I have never liked it, I think it's embarrassing, however when some people start going on about right wing nationalists, that is pathetic.

England won, and now they have a really good chance of making it to the final, so just be happy FFS.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Trying hard not to join in with the pointing out that some England fans are pretty scummy, but this plum's user name on Twitter just made me laugh out loud.

[tweet]1409970746529615876[/tweet]

Edit: Having seen his profile pic just now, I think it may be a piss take, but amongst all the England fans laughing at a young girl crying I lumped him in with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here