Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Booing of the anthem , who cares !! I think it's great. If I was going away to a full German stadium and they were booing the English anthem I would absolutely love it....gets you really fired up for the occasion. National anthems are so meaningless and outdated anyway

When I've been in the states and the English boo the yank anthem at the boxing its brilliant. The looks of disbelief and horror is like something out of a Borat film

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes, the borders are entirely conceived by people. There is nothing really that determines what they are, other than historical events that resulted in their imagining in the first place, and the political and economic incentives to persist with them.

Nothing really separates a German and an Englishman, other than language. We are incredibly similar peoples to such a degree that we can barely be differentiated.

So why the **** anyone would get offended by a national anthem being booed is beyond me.

I agree with you - Living in a very solid Plaid Cymru voting area it's a conversation I've regularly had. What changes as you pass through Welshpool and over the border in to England, or as you cross the severn bridge? Very little. The idea that somehow a culture dramatically changes based on an imaginary line in the ground is quite silly. That if you're born a few yards in either direction it's going to somehow make you a different person, odd really. I also find it strange the English nationalism is perceived as nasty and right wing, yet Welsh (and Scottish I guess) nationalism as somehow more romantic and well intended, in the Welsh case, it's really not, it's deeply unpleasant, based on bitterness and resentment.

More relevantly, I'm with [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] on this, football is a pantomime, enjoy it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why would you even want to ?
What does it achieve ?

Nothing....

All it does is show the world, how moronic you are.....

Here I am, look at me, I am the idiot your parents warned you about.

These are the same people that, love a foreign holiday, wear italian designer clothes and drive a german car.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Taliban / IRA songs - not my thing but surely a stand against evil H?

If namechecking evil is making a stand, and this is a good thing to do at a football, then why no songs about:

Russell Bishop (Brighton should sing about him at every match, surely?)
Myra Hindley
Falun Gong
Prayut Chan-o-cha
Jimmy Savile
Donald Trump
Vladimir Putin
Etc.
?

No, this is just a right wing dog whistle, and it is a reminder to the rest of us that England football support is owned by a certain type. The Das Reich type.

It isn't, I don't think, but they think it is, and by joining in you're just tickling their tummies.

And I say that as someone who drunkenly joined in with the 'No surrender to the IRA' song in a pub after the quarter final in 96 :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are a few posts on this thread where people say they are embarrassed to be English. I was just a little surprised to be reading this on the night we beat Germany 2-0. If there was even one German in that crowd who was actually offended by the booing I would be amazed.

Apologies. I didn't see a single post from anyone saying they were ashamed to be English. I must have missed them. I did read that people were shamed by the people booing the anthems. I certainly didn't infer that people were generally ashamed of their nationality and nation and were clamouring to get an Irish passport and flee these Isles, which would be necessary to trigger your reaction if it were me reacting.

I also posted that the anthem booing didn't bother me greatly and seems very panto (unlike the booing of the knee taking which, in my book, is contemptible).

I'd still rather there was no booing of the anthems, though. Like panto, it descends from funny to tin pot very quickly*.

For those who think singing about the IRA and the Taliban is 'standing up to evil' (or a bit of a laugh - which is the real reason they do it I suspect), did anyone join in with any songs about bombers, Hitler etc., last night, I wonder? I didn't hear any such songs, but it was an opportunity to not be missed surely?

*(oh no it doesn't).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the point I was trying to make I my OP was that England fans are always given bad press, sometimes deserved sometimes not.
But was has passed people by is the good nature of the fans in the stadium with no segregation.
Very different from previous tournaments we have been involved in.

No, that's an excellent point. Aside from the anthem booing (which I'm not that bothered about - as I have said repeatedly) it seemed fantastic :thumbsup:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If namechecking evil is making a stand, and this is a good thing to do at a football, then why no songs about:

Russell Bishop (Brighton should sing about him at every match, surely?)
Myra Hindley
Falun Gong
Prayut Chan-o-cha
Jimmy Savile
Donald Trump
Vladimir Putin
Etc.
?

No, this is just a right wing dog whistle, and it is a reminder to the rest of us that England football support is owned by a certain type. The Das Reich type.

It isn't, I don't think, but they think it is, and by joining in you're just tickling their tummies.

And I say that as someone who drunkenly joined in with the 'No surrender to the IRA' song in a pub after the quarter final in 96 :facepalm:

You not been to any of the Leeds games then? We certainly do sing about J**** S******!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have always been puzzled why the Indian National anthem isn’t Indian musi, and why the Chinese National anthem isn’t Chinese music.

Our National anthem is embarrassing enough, a nation of 65 million, and our anthem is about one person of German- Scottish heritage., without booing another nations whose title song is usually much better than ours.

But, hey ho, it’s not the most embarrassing thing about this country, at the moment.

Indeed.

And my comment about Thin Lizzy and Bachman Turner Overdrive was meant to imply that the German anthem sounds quite rousing whereas ours is a dirge. I actually fell asleep during Bachman Turner Overdrive, owing to the monotony.

Anyway. Cracking night. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very interesting how this thread has polarised opinions.

Good to have differing opinions...!

I think it may also be an age related thing, I remember when people stood for the National Anthem at the end of films in the cinema, i have absolutely no idea why they saw fit to play it after a film though :shrug:

Good luck trying that today :smile:

Times do indeed change, even if people of older generations don’t, it was always thus, no?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You not been to any of the Leeds games then? We certainly do sing about J**** S******!!

That's very specific. We don't sing about Jimmy Savile at every game. And we tend to bring out Savile only in response to 'holding hands' baiting. Same with 'Town full of racists' at Bumley. Or if it's part of longstanding antipathy ('In your Croydon slums').

England supporters singing about the IRA at every ****ing game, when we are not in Ireland and not playing Ireland is a right wing dog whistle for the Das Reich types, not just normal football 'bantz'. It's different kettle of fish entirely.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
People join the military for the money, for a career, for training... certainly not for national pride.

National pride only exists amongst morons in any modern country these days, thankfully... or those unfortunate countries where it is indoctrinated.

We're all more educated than that now. And that's thankfully why there will never be another World War. Because people are aware that the borders are an imaginary human construct, and we are just as likely to have things in common with people around the globe, as we are with people on our doorstep.

You are talking absolute rubbish born of the snowflake generation.

If you have never been in the military you will obviously not know that people DO Not join for money as the pay is crap.

So we are all morons for showing pride in our country??

I know who I think the moron is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a bit of a silly thing to do. Something you'd expect in I dunno... Albania or somewhere else where they were isolated for a few generations and are yet to be accustomed to the world.

Big deal though? No.

If I were you I'd be more annoyed with how quiet it was until you scored the goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It seems some just go out of their way to find embarrassment

Go out of their way? :lolol:

It came into my living room last night. I didn’t have to look for it or find it. It’s childish and boorish.
Upset? No. Surprised? No.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I were you I'd be more annoyed with how quiet it was until you scored the goal.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed when you come to the Amex, as most games are just like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here