Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I don't think modern people care as much about nations as the older generations do.

We now realise that countries are completely imaginary and nothing to be offended about.

We also realise that anything said, sung or chanted at football matches is just pantomime.

Some people don't realise half as much as they think they do.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not bothered and definitely not embarrassed.

I’m the same as you, I wouldn’t partake in booing but I’m certainly not as many of our fluffy friends on here describe themselves as embarrassed by it, where’s the thread about the Scottish booing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m the same as you, I wouldn’t partake in booing but I’m certainly not as many of our fluffy friends on here describe themselves as embarrassed by it, where’s the thread about the Scottish booing?

England didn’t win that game so the I’m not bothered about the Euro’s brigade had nothing to moan about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wouldn't boo the anthem (I love Germany and have family there) but there again I am not really all that bothered about it. It's a football match, not a polite tea-party. Football has until recently been far more tribal and that is one way of expressing it. I don't remember threads complaining that the Scottish were booing ours, as [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] said it's got a pantomime element. England does have a element of neanderthals but people here ascribing that kind of behaviour to our fans to the extent that they are embarrassed to be English is amusing, I would suggest that some of them are just pretty uncomfortable with where they are from and need to find something to cringe from. People are pretty much the same everywhere, there is always a more boorish element. And it is definitely not a modern thing, I remember being a small child and my father complaining about it in the early 70's.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Maybe on a Scottish club’s fans forum? :shrug:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We all know our anthem is rubbish and a painful dirge. However, trotting that out as some vague defence to booing another countries anthem is lame. Show some class and then spank the opposition on the pitch.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ricky Ponting was booed for as long as I can remember when he came into bat in England apart from his last innings where a spontaneous round of applause broke out. Its just pantomime.

I had to come off the tweet macheen this morning after reading a load of bobble hatted, Euro wokers getting angry about everyone laughing at the German girl in tears. "Well, at least she will have freedom of movement" Faaacking hell. I'm not sure what's worse. The bells who said they'd support the Germans because the England boys took the knee and then watched the Germans do the same or the permanently offended who don't get the difference between real life and a bit of theatre.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I’d put the boo’ers into two groups, those for who its a joke, as others are saying a pantomime a few beers in, no harm meant, and those who are a bit “challenged” and meant it, who boo the knee, who sing no surrender and who are more like those harassing Chris Whitty and pretending they taught the russian hooligans a thing or two in the dark streets of Marseille when the cameras were elsewhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here