Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
If you phone Vodafone now they know what a nano sim is at last and are sending them out free of charge (they were charging)
Will receive it Tuesday

Last edited:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
So you've just paid £1,305 for the phone and new contract, £441 of it upfront. Why on earth didn't you just buy the unlocked phone outright and if you were that unhappy with O2 you could have just got a Pay as you Go SIM for another network until the contract ran down. Seriously, that is absolutely ridiculous. And an unlocked iPhone holds its value far more than the locked ones you get from the networks, so that's another £100 you've knocked off its resale value.

What were you thinking? Seriously

only paying £269 up front, letting the O2 contract run its course at £26 a month and an unlimited data sim only is £21 a month on 12 month contract or £26 a month on 30 days with T-Mobile and I will need unlimited data as my home net is so slow. I worked it out that I spend £873 in the first year and £1305 over the contract length. Your way would be £1124 in the first year and £1376 over 2 years with an initial outlay of £430 more to buy the phone. Even buying a cheap non unlimited data PAYG would work out more in the first year with a higher initial outlay.

Plus at the end of the contract it takes a phone call to Tmobile to get the phone unlocked for any network. I am sure I have done my maths correctly and this is the cheapest way to get the phone now and have 4G when it starts in a couple of months time.

Anyway, need the device for testing apps on as the iPhone simulator Apple provide is so slow, so it will more than pay for itself in the first 12 months and I can buy an iPhone 6 out right next September lol

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
O2 are now giving nano sims out for free in store. Got one in the Horsham O2 store. All switched over ready for friday

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Got a message from o2 asking if I would like to go to the top of the o2 arena to pick up my new iPhone 5 with five other people. I'm scared of heights, but would beat the queues. Would be an amazing experience, but undecided...

Would you do this?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Got a message from o2 asking if I would like to go to the top of the o2 arena to pick up my new iPhone 5 with five other people. I'm scared of heights, but would beat the queues. Would be an amazing experience, but undecided...

Would you do this?

I'd definitely do this, We are planning to do the O2 walk over later in the year but to get a new phone at the top even better.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Plus at the end of the contract it takes a phone call to Tmobile to get the phone unlocked for any network. I am sure I have done my maths correctly and this is the cheapest way to get the phone now and have 4G when it starts in a couple of months time.

I've been reading on the giffgaff and other websites today,

As far as I can understand, the only 4g network available this year is from EE which is basically Tmobile and Orange, other networks such as o2, Vodafone etc haven't got nearly as much bandwidth as EE.

Next year, Ofcom will auction off more frequencies so the other networks can offer their 4g services.

The sticking point is that the iPhone5 if I'm correct only supports a few frequencies, so users on other networks cannot and will not get 4g.

So if people are thinking of future proofing and buying the iPhone now on o2 or vodafone etc will just have a very expensive paper weight.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Nice fast browsing.

iphone5js.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Next year, Ofcom will auction off more frequencies so the other networks can offer their 4g services.

The sticking point is that the iPhone5 if I'm correct only supports a few frequencies, so users on other networks cannot and will not get 4g.

So if people are thinking of future proofing and buying the iPhone now on o2 or vodafone etc will just have a very expensive paper weight.

Aye, do not buy an iphone 5 for long term, multi-network 4G, you are locked into the EE network. unless you are in one of the 13 or whatever cities to be covered, pretend 4G doesnt exist for another year.

Nice fast browsing.
shame that by just about every other measure the iphone is only a few % ahead or even behind the competition. its not stepped ahead like previous versions

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Guardian (5/5) - The best around...

"Those who were quick to dismiss the iPhone 5 based on its specifications – but no experience with its features or services – made the mistake of thinking that a phone is just components. But it's the gestalt that makes it a pleasant experience – or otherwise. For those who insist on NFC, or direct access to the phone's file system, or the option of opening web pages in multiple different browsers, the iPhone and iOS will never be satisfactory."

Telegraph: (5/5) - The Most Beautiful Phone Ever Made...

"The iPhone 5 is a great smartphone made even better. It's fast, lightweight and backed by the largest application store for any device. It's also probably the most beautiful smartphone anyone has ever made."

Engadget: (4.5/5) - It Absolutely Shines...

"The iPhone 5 absolutely shines. Pick your benchmark and you'll find Apple's thin new weapon sitting at or near the top. Will it convince you to give up your Android or Windows Phone ways and join the iOS side? Maybe, maybe not. Will it wow you? Hold it in your hand -- you might be surprised."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where have you seen that?

there's plenty around, if you arent looking to prove how great it is, or only comparing to the iphone 4S like some sites have. this seems a fairly objective show considering the source.

im not saying its no good, just that its caught up rather than raised the bar as Apple have previously.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am getting confused by the 4g comments...

HELP... my contract end in a week or so...

1) shall i get the iphone 5 on a contract? if so what is best out there

2) buy the phone outright and get a giff gaff chip? However when will the giff gaff chip be ready for the iphone 5?

What is everyone else going to do? Sheep here wanting to follow:sheep:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am getting confused by the 4g comments...

HELP... my contract end in a week or so...

1) shall i get the iphone 5 on a contract? if so what is best out there

2) buy the phone outright and get a giff gaff chip? However when will the giff gaff chip be ready for the iphone 5?

What is everyone else going to do? Sheep here wanting to follow:sheep:

I really don't care about 4G so it's not a factor for me.

1. 3G largely seems pretty decent - no problem streaming radio and Netflix most of the time.
2. Widespread 4G is still some time away...
3. ...by which time we'll have moved on from iPhone 5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here