Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone heard what to plan is for getting nano sims from o2? I am on contract and just need the swim swapped for the new iphone, I really don't want to have to go to the o2 store next Friday to queue up for one.

I'd go in a store before Friday as they have them (or will soon) by all accounts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you not just cut your own nano SIM in the same way people have been trimming regular SIMs to become MicroSIMs?

The Nano SIM is literally the size of the chip on a Micro SIM so you'd need to be very, very careful to not cut into/damage the chip itself. It is also thinnner - will it just squeeze in anyway? I don't know. I have read talk of gently sanding it to make it thinner. As this involves sanding the metal chip itself - again I'm sceptical of that approach.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's a real shame then, and GiffGaff will be losing a lot of customers. But there's still nobody else offering the packages they offer so I guess those desperate enough for the iPhone 5, without contract, will be paying over the odds for it with whoever they choose to provide their pay as you go service.

Personally I'd probably wait until EE announce their pay as you go options for their 4G network, otherwise you're just completely wasting your money.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I'm really interested in going with GiffGaff now. I think as I have a rolling contract with o2 I will swap this for PAYG and buy the phone next Friday. I'll await the nano-sim then swap to GiffGaff. £599 sheets for the phone outright though. Hope I don't break it in the first week.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
O2 out of stock on White iPhone upgrades, maybe thats a sign i should get the black.

Think im going to get a £26 a month on a 32GB. Over 2 years its £923. I'd have to get a SIM only under £13.50 to make it cheaper buying from Apple.

Yeah I'm thinking of this one as well. Did you see it as Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 1GB of data because I found the layout with the bars an other tariffs confusing?

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah I'm thinking of this one as well. Did you see it as Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 1GB of data because I found the layout with the bars an other tariffs confusing?

Yep, exactly what i just ordered.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm really interested in going with GiffGaff now. I think as I have a rolling contract with o2 I will swap this for PAYG and buy the phone next Friday. I'll await the nano-sim then swap to GiffGaff. £599 sheets for the phone outright though. Hope I don't break it in the first week.

Actually it's only £529, although that's still an awful lot of money

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Cheers! What did they say about stock? Will it be delivered to you on the 21st, or did they not say?

They were saying Out of Stock yesterday, today it changed to delivered in 3 weeks. Dunno if they got more stock, but im guessing this will be the 2nd batch they get in, and won't be ready for the 21st.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
They were saying Out of Stock yesterday, today it changed to delivered in 3 weeks. Dunno if they got more stock, but im guessing this will be the 2nd batch they get in, and won't be ready for the 21st.

Ah okay, thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I have ordered mine from T-Mobile today, £25 deposit, £36 a month for 2000 Minutes (never use more than 60 a month anyway), unlimited texts and unlimited data, 64gb phone costing £269 and can collect in store on Friday (very handy as heading away early afternoon so wont have to wait in). Plus Leeds is getting 4g from T-Mobile before Christmas so good for tethering if they let me else wait for a Jailbreak and do it with that.

The only annoyance was my existing O2 contract that is up in April. O2 refused to let me upgrade early without paying them £250 cancellation fees. I could not even add the 6 months remaining to a new contract. They were totally inflexible. I cant even transfer my number without handing over the £250. As the contract will be unused from next Friday what I have done is reduced my tariff (you can drop down one level if you have had the contract for more than 12 months) and removed the data package, reducing my cost from £37 to £26. I then asked them for a new cancellation fee and it dropped to £172 (still too much in one hit but a decent saving if you can afford it). Been really unhappy with O2 the last 18 months with broken promises and broken networks, crap speeds and reception so glad to be getting away from them after 10 years.

Also, the Apple stores will NOT have nano sim cards in stock, you will have to go to a mobile store to get them next Friday, so you had best hope your favourite network has loads in stock.

And to confirm what has been said, cutting down a bigger card is not an option this time, several sites have confirmed this

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Plus Leeds is getting 4g from T-Mobile before Christmas so good for tethering if they let me else wait for a Jailbreak and do it with that.

Most sounds good, getting mine with 3 @ 36 p/m with tethering allowed. I looked at T-Mobile's stance on tethering and I'm afraid jailbreaking won't help you out in that department I'm afraid :(

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'm pretty skint so although I can upgrade as of yesterday, I think I'll be waiting til mid October. Tmobile want £109 for the 16gb (plenty enough for me) handset if I keep my current £36 a month plan, or I can pay £49 for the handset and bump my monthly payment up to £41.

These are my options...however I wish I had the 500-odd-quid to buy the handset outright! Unfortunately that money was spent last year on an iPad 2 when I lost patience waiting for the iPhone 5!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I have ordered mine from T-Mobile today, £25 deposit, £36 a month for 2000 Minutes (never use more than 60 a month anyway), unlimited texts and unlimited data, 64gb phone costing £269 and can collect in store on Friday (very handy as heading away early afternoon so wont have to wait in). Plus Leeds is getting 4g from T-Mobile before Christmas so good for tethering if they let me else wait for a Jailbreak and do it with that.

The only annoyance was my existing O2 contract that is up in April. O2 refused to let me upgrade early without paying them £250 cancellation fees. I could not even add the 6 months remaining to a new contract. They were totally inflexible. I cant even transfer my number without handing over the £250. As the contract will be unused from next Friday what I have done is reduced my tariff (you can drop down one level if you have had the contract for more than 12 months) and removed the data package, reducing my cost from £37 to £26. I then asked them for a new cancellation fee and it dropped to £172 (still too much in one hit but a decent saving if you can afford it). Been really unhappy with O2 the last 18 months with broken promises and broken networks, crap speeds and reception so glad to be getting away from them after 10 years.

Also, the Apple stores will NOT have nano sim cards in stock, you will have to go to a mobile store to get them next Friday, so you had best hope your favourite network has loads in stock.

And to confirm what has been said, cutting down a bigger card is not an option this time, several sites have confirmed this

So you've just paid £1,305 for the phone and new contract, £441 of it upfront. Why on earth didn't you just buy the unlocked phone outright and if you were that unhappy with O2 you could have just got a Pay as you Go SIM for another network until the contract ran down. Seriously, that is absolutely ridiculous. And an unlocked iPhone holds its value far more than the locked ones you get from the networks, so that's another £100 you've knocked off its resale value.

What were you thinking? Seriously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here