Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Am I missing something here? Where's the wow?

Slightly thinner, as expected. Bigger screen, as expected. New processor, naturally. Same camera, same looks...

What's going to make people scrabble in the streets for this latest incarnation? Seems more like a simple refresh rather than a full new latest and greatest model

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you didnt hear about the 44% more colour saturation. thats a wow.

the biggest announcement was the new "headpod" in ear headphones. three years in development. the unanswered question is of course will they be better than the utter gash Apple have provided all these years ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Slightly thinner, as expected. Bigger screen, as expected. New processor, naturally. Same camera, same looks...

What's going to make people scrabble in the streets for this latest incarnation? Seems more like a simple refresh rather than a full new latest and greatest model

Have to agree this feels like an "s" model rather than deserving of a whole new number. Maybe the 4 extra would've been more appropriate.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm genuinely disappointed. I was all excited about ordering myself the latest and greatest iPhone next month to replace my ageing HTC but to be honest I can't really see any reason to now. Unless somebody tells me it can last 48 hours on a single charge I'm probably not gonna bother now. I think the new Nokia Lumia handsets announced last week were more exciting and if they only ran Android I'd be very seriously tempted by one of them instead.

As it stands I'm in limbo. Not gonna spunk all my reddies on this underwhelming new iPhone so it looks like I'm gonna have to keep waiting for the next killer handset

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd been going to upgrade with my new contract which runs out in two months but I've had second thoughts, I was expecting much bigger improvements, and them making the handset longer and not wider has really put me off as well.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
As a bit of an iPhone fanboy I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by this evenings revelations. I'll probably get one anyway but I'm more interested in ios6 than the iphone5. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] what are your thoughts?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
To be honest I'm pretty happy with the result.
I purposely stayed with my iPhone 4 and missed out on the 4S as it didn't seem much of a step up, so the 5 compared to my 4 is a pretty huge upgrade.
The updated camera, larger screen, 4G capability, A6 chip and new maps (which I use often) are some of the main features.
Yes they aren't OMFG WOWZA!@!@ features, but really, what more could we expect with this upgrade?

Looks like they are moving from the micro-sim to a new nano-sim, this will cause a bit of confusion/frustration.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
To be honest I'm pretty happy with the result.
I purposely stayed with my iPhone 4 and missed out on the 4S as it didn't seem much of a step up, so the 5 compared to my 4 is a pretty huge upgrade.
The updated camera, larger screen, 4G capability, A6 chip and new maps (which I use often) are some of the main features.
Yes they aren't OMFG WOWZA!@!@ features, but really, what more could we expect with this upgrade?

Looks like they are moving from the micro-sim to a new nano-sim, this will cause a bit of confusion/frustration.

As far as I'm aware the maps feature is a result of the new software and not the 5 so would be available on the 4 and even the 3GS. I missed the bit about the nano sim, is this a reality? Also as I mentioned elsewhere, any news on the fingerprint home button as rumoured?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
As a bit of an iPhone fanboy I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by this evenings revelations. I'll probably get one anyway but I'm more interested in ios6 than the iphone5. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] what are your thoughts?

Pretty much this for me too. I'll end up getting one, but only because my contract expired and I have the 4. I'll give it until Christmas when we're seeing other phones overtake this one. Although from what I'm seeing it really isn't too dissimilar from the Samsung S3

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
:facepalm:

Something tells me things would be different if Jobs were still around.

It's not though, really. Is it? iPhone 4 was the biggest leap the the screen and tech. This is nothing more than a bump of 's' proportions.

juk5X.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not though, really. Is it? iPhone 4 was the biggest leap the the screen and tech. This is nothing more than a bump of 's' proportions.

I'm more likely to listen to technology experts who have been hands on with the new iPhone already, as well as all other current models than you. I hope you don't mind.

Wired - "Unlike the mainly under-the-hood update from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S, Apple has made significant changes with the iPhone 5."

Gizmodo - "Overall, it seems they have improved every single aspect of the iPhone. Very nice."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
iPhone 5 will be the fastest and biggest selling phone ever. Probably the most profitable ever too.

Just how will Apple recover from such a calamity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here