Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To be realistic, anybody with at least a single drop of technology knowledge would know by how superior android is over the Iphone.

That's the point isn't it? It's EXACTLY like why geeks gravitate to Microsoft over Mac. Customisation etc.

The vast vast majority of us couldn't give a single shit what's under the bonnet, because the end user experience (disgracefully mixing metaphors now) SHITS ALL OVER 99% of Android/HTC's equivalents.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the first one to even get CLOSE, for me. But Android holds it back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Android is for geeks who have too much time to f*** around trying to make their phone work and be stable. Apple is for those who want a polished, working product with a strong app set.

This. Apple just works straight from the box, works well and looks bloody marvellous.

Android stuff is horribly buggy, ugly, messy and hard to use but can do impressive stuff if you have a PhD in C+ Basic.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Android is for geeks who have too much time to f*** around trying to make their phone work and be stable. Apple is for those who want a polished, working product with a strong app set.

But my phone both works AND is stable, and I've not f***ed around on it at all. So not sure your argument holds up there.

seagullfromamex

Apr 6, 2012
This. Apple just works straight from the box, works well and looks bloody marvellous.

Android stuff is horribly buggy, ugly, messy and hard to use but can do impressive stuff if you have a PhD in C+ Basic.

I am dissapointed with people throwing money at apple just because they make a product easy on the eye. You do understand you pay the device 8.5 times it´s real worth? Apple became world´s number one richest company on the likes of you, who cannot bother to read a goddamn manual. Android is YOUR device, unlike iPhone. You can make it ten times better looking and easier to use if you are willing to waste 2-3 hours of your time. Kind of makes you proud of what you made. This is just my opinion, of course.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am dissapointed with people throwing money at apple just because they make a product easy on the eye. You do understand you pay the device 8.5 times it´s real worth? Apple became world´s number one richest company on the likes of you, who cannot bother to read a goddamn manual. Android is YOUR device, unlike iPhone. You can make it ten times better looking and easier to use if you are willing to waste 2-3 hours of your time. Kind of makes you proud of what you made. This is just my opinion, of course.

You do realise when you buy Egg Fried Rice from the Chinese takeaway for £3.50 it costs them about 11p, yes? S'called "business".

The point is I'm COMPLETELY happy with the user experience I get from an iPhone, WITHOUT having to read a manual. Pretty simple really.

seagullfromamex

Apr 6, 2012
You do realise when you buy Egg Fried Rice from the Chinese takeaway for £3.50 it costs them about 11p, yes? S'called "business".

The point is I'm COMPLETELY happy with the user experience I get from an iPhone, WITHOUT having to read a manual. Pretty simple really.

Alright, our opinions may differ on that field, but we can both agree we like the BEST football club ;)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be realistic, anybody with at least a single drop of technology knowledge would know by how superior android is over the Iphone.

First of all, hardware. For the price of an iPhone 4G (Which has a processor piece that is really weak), you can get an S3 or One X, which offer around 6 times the power of the 4G.

Second, OS. I agree that iOS is far more stable than Android, but the great thing is that Android is YOUR very own unlocked device. Once you buy it, you are allowed to do whatever you want with it, with only the radical activities would break the warranty bond. This is great for people experienced with modifying system and such.

Also, iPhone is ridiculously bad for small time software developers. You have to pay 10 times more dollars (99,99) just to be able to get a license to develop your own stuff. On the Android, on the other hand, you can get one for 9,99.

This would be just some of the reasons why I think iPhone is really the worst solution. (Except for Nokia.)

I said I wasn't going to do this today, but in the face of some complete and utter horseshit, I have no choice...

Hardware. The Android world seems obsessed with specs - number of processor cores, raw Mhz numbers and the like. It means nothing, absolutely nothing. Until 'Project Butter' in Jellybean, Android was sluggish and jittery. Nomatter how much grunt you threw at it, it was poor. That's why Google took on Project Butter. On the other side of the fence, despite supposedly being under-powered, the iPhone 4s flies along. All this illustrates is that specs mean very little. It's how a device and it's software work together that is key.

OS. It's rare to see an Android man concede on stability even though it is obvious to all, so well done there. No dispute on the extra freedom on Android, obviously, but I don't see any benefit. There is nothing I am aware of that I want my 4s to do that it can't. I've seen nothing on friends and families Android devices that I wish I could do. So, again, worthless.

iPhone is ridiculously good, not bad, for developers. The reason that iPhone is that much better than Android is that despite being heavily outnumbered by Android devices, iOS devices absolutely dominate both the mobile web and also app revenues. As a generalisation, Android people hate spending money on anything, whereas iOS have no issue with paying for software and supporting the development community. These are facts proven by measurable statistics. I've posted them before so can't be bothered to do so again. Oh, if $100 is too much for you to spend for a development toolkit then you shouldn't be developing.

On top of this Apple offer world-class support in many ways, most of which are lacking in Android-land, as well as having a good stab to regulate the app store and protect users from nefarious types who seek to profit from the injection of malware.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Samsung 3S on launch cost £500. The iPhone 4s at launch cost £500. Both manufacturers make good money on their devices. Your point here, again, is horseshit.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
On top of this Apple offer world-class support in many ways, most of which are lacking in Android-land, as well as having a good stab to regulate the app store and protect users from nefarious types who seek to profit from the injection of malware.

"Malware, short for malicious software, is software used or created to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software.[1] 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software"

Sounds like iTunes :D

Ok, we've had our fun. Off out now. Hope the launch goes well and iPhone 5SGS is everything you want it to be. x

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Alright, our opinions may differ on that field, but we can both agree we like the BEST football club ;)

This may be a bit presumptious but I'm guessing you are slightly younger than me? Not because I think you're stupider or anything like that, but I'm 26, and if I was about 15-19 now, I possibly would prefer the Android OS and everything it can do.

Problem is I can't be arsed anymore to play around with the nuts and bolts. I just want something that works well straight from box. I'm not saying Android phones can't, but just in my personal experience and opinion Apple delivers this best.

Doesn't make you wrong and me right. Different phones for different needs ((c) David Brent).

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Why? Safari is a browser. It's no different to any other browser. If you really don't like it, then install Chrome or one of the many other browsers. They all have a URL bar, back, forward, stop and refresh buttons though. You tap links you want to navigate to.

If you can't navigate the web on an iPad, you must be special. And not in a good way.

Where did I say I struggle to browse with the iPad... Now you're just making stuff up.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Oh and with regards to the screen replacements from earlier on. Back 4 or 4S is replaced there and then for £20 I think it is, the front isn't replaced, the phone is swapped with a refurb. They're as good as new though, so you don't have to worry. That's £120. Source: I've had to do both recently.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
First of all, hardware. For the price of an iPhone 4G (Which has a processor piece that is really weak), you can get an S3 or One X, which offer around 6 times the power of the 4G.

The galaxy S3 is huge though, it's no wonder they've been able to fit in bigger processors (and battery). Genuine question, is it really 6x more power? What benefit does that extra processing power actually give you? Are there things an S3 can do that the Apple can't do? I'm curious, as you've whetted my appetite for looking as the S3 (still £500 mind, and huge).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
"Malware, short for malicious software, is software used or created to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software.[1] 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software"

Sounds like iTunes :D

Plenty of alternatives to iTunes, I use CopyTrans and Winamp for managing my music and iDevices, still actually prefer iTunes for buying my music, podcasts etc, just so much more straight forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here