Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
As far as I'm aware the maps feature is a result of the new software and not the 5 so would be available on the 4 and even the 3GS. I missed the bit about the nano sim, is this a reality? Also as I mentioned elsewhere, any news on the fingerprint home button as rumoured?

I'm probably wrong, however I thought the new software features (maps etc) were available from iOS 6 which is to be available only on the iPhone 5 and the newer iPad? That may have been a completely incorrect rumour or may have some truth?
I followed the live unveiling and didn't see a whisper of the fingerprint home button.
I also didn't see any evidence of and nano sim however see the engadget specs posted this evening here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
iPhone 5 will be the fastest and biggest selling phone ever. Probably the most profitable ever too.

Just how will Apple recover from such a calamity?

its strange isent it the number of people who spend there time bashing apple...i buy there products because i find them useful and good quality ..but i dont go around spending my time slating the competition

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a bit of an iPhone fanboy I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by this evenings revelations. I'll probably get one anyway but I'm more interested in ios6 than the iphone5. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] what are your thoughts?

I'm a bit baffled as to what those expecting more were expecting. What stuff would have made them go 'wow'?

I'm not sure - the iPhone5 is undoubtedly of supreme quality - the early hands on wax lyrical, as ever, about the outstanding build quality and finish. I love the incredible post-sales support Apple give, if anything goes wrong, even if it's your own fault. But, my iPhone is essentially an 'NSC admin tool' when I'm away from home and for some of the things I have to do on occasion, a bit more screen real estate would help. 3.5" -> 4.0" is a bigger jump than the raw numbers would imply but I wonder if I am making a change I should go for a bit more. It's a real shame the new Nokia Windows effort is not available yet and may not be for 2 or 3 more months as Nokia also seem to build a decent phone, unlike those plasticy affairs from Samsung.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not disappointed - the phone has delivered everything we expected and, as above, I wasn't expecting anything more. Tricky.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Nice comparison of the iPhone and its two biggest competitors here:

iPhone 5 vs the competition: fight! -- Engadget

Apple fans look away because the latest and greatest iPhone doesn't come off too well against the competition.

And I'm not just an Apple basher. Far from it. I have an iPhone 4, I'm typing this on my MacBook and I've always loved iPods. I'm just disappointed that only the real die hard Apple hardcore can salvage anything from this seriously underwhelming launch.

I thought Nokia was near enough dead and buried but with Apple stumbling here and people desperate for the latest and greatest, suddenly the very impressive stats of the technically superior Lumia 920 make it really stand out. Coupled with the excellent build quality that makes it the only true rival to the iPhone (I've still yet to find a single Android device that comes anywhere close to "premium" in terms of its construction) could we actually see some ground made up by the former giant of the mobile world and the analysts' favourite, if least used, mobile OS?

Far too early to tell of course but I'll bet folk in rival camps will be rubbing their hands with glee at this damp squib of a new iPhone.

I hope Apple step it up next time round because this is a real let down

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
iPhone 5 will be the fastest and biggest selling phone ever. Probably the most profitable ever too.

Just how will Apple recover from such a calamity?

Prices starting from £529
Just worried about trying to get hold of a nano sim myself

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
its strange isent it the number of people who spend there time bashing apple...

It's strange isn't it the number of people who spend their time obsessing and fanboying over apple..... Even closing down a popular chat forum demonstrating the point.

If you dont think Apple obsessives slate the competition then you must have very selective vision and hearing.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Looks a decent upgrade, no doubt I will get one but I'll give it a few months as my 4 is still excellent.

The only thing I would add in an ideal would is slightly wider screen.

Cameras don't bother me to much 5mp on my 4 is enough for out and about got my dslr for holidays etc, the 4g is great but im happy with Vodafone at mo so will see what happens in Brighton regards the ?ee 4g signal.

Weight difference will be nice the 4 is a touch heavy but arguably somehow reassuring.

It's a solid meh from here 7/10

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
One thing they are taking the piss on...

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (UK)

£25? I bet the Chinese already have an alternative for a fiver. On the subject, a colleague of mine told me today that upon seeing the leaked 5 photos, quickly put together a replica and tried to claim the patent on the basis the 5 hadn't been announced yet! Probably bollocks but hey ho

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I'm more likely to listen to technology experts who have been hands on with the new iPhone already, as well as all other current models than you. I hope you don't mind.

Nope, don't mind at all. Some people will buy the marketing the Apple do, some wont. I'm a big Apple fan, I have an iMac, iPhone, iPod and iPads. Honestly, were you blown away by todays announcement then? It's saying something if you have to wait for the experts to tell you if it's good or not. We didn't need that with the iPhone 4...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..i buy there products because i find them useful and good quality

Same here. The finer details of the technology sometime wash over me but what I do like about Apple is the ease of use; I find the interaction between me, the software and the hardware very straight forward and intuitive. Their after-sales service is 2nd to none and the products are made very well. Are there other phones out there which deliver the same? Possibly I guess. But, I'm more than happy with all my apple products so I can't be arsed to go and check any other companies out and have to learn how to use a new phone or something.

I'll be ordering my new phone on the 14th.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope, don't mind at all. Some people will buy the marketing the Apple do, some wont. I'm a big Apple fan, I have an iMac, iPhone, iPod and iPads. Honestly, were you blown away by todays announcement then? It's saying something if you have to wait for the experts to tell you if it's good or not. We didn't need that with the iPhone 4...

No, I wasn't blown away, but i wasn't expecting to be. As I've said on here many times - there seems to be little scope for massive innovation in smartphone hardware now. Samsung don't do it, Motorola don't do it, HTC don't do it and Apple don't do it. Bigger screen, faster CPU and graphics, better camera optics and a bit more battery all wrapped up in a different form factor - that's pretty much all anyone has delivered since the first iPhone came about.

Software is a different story - that's where real movement has happened. But today was never about software - Apple already did their iOS6 thing.

What the chuff does "It's saying something if you have to wait for the experts to tell you if it's good or not." mean? It's a phone that is not available for me, you, or most people to touch. As such, until I can get hands on, the reviews of experts are going to be of interest.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here