Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
T'Pau were from Telford, happily.

Bizarrely enough I saw them live once at Telford Ice Rink in [1985?] supported by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry (!)

Was that when they were still a "rock" band, ie before they signed their big record deal? I'm not sure I could even name a song by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, although I must have heard them a few times. They conjure up a fairly grey image in my mind - a nondescript landscape and light drizzle.

Flex Your Head

RLYL were a goth band from Leeds. I rather liked them- fabulous vocals:
That's the only record I have by RLYL, but it's an absolute corker.

I used to quite like some of the goth stuff when it was still referred to as 'the Batcave scene' and, fleetingly, 'Posi-Punk'. Not ashamed to say that I own records by Alien Sex Fiend, Blood and Roses, The Specimen (bat-shaped vinyl no less!), UK Decay, Theatre of Hate, Actifed and so on.

Big faves though were Bauhaus, who I loved. Saw them about 6 times in Brighton, usually at the Top Rank. At one time, I think I had four Bauhaus T-shirts - not bad for a kid earning £2.55 a week delivering the Evening Argus 6 nights a week.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I used to quite like some of the goth stuff when it was still referred to as 'the Batcave scene' and, fleetingly, 'Posi-Punk'. Not ashamed to say that I own records by Alien Sex Fiend, Blood and Roses, The Specimen (bat-shaped vinyl no less!), UK Decay, Theatre of Hate, Actifed and so on.

Big faves though were Bauhaus, who I loved. Saw them about 6 times in Brighton, usually at the Top Rank. At one time, I think I had four Bauhaus T-shirts - not bad for a kid earning £2.55 a week delivering the Evening Argus 6 nights a week.

The Gothiest I got was Love by The Cult. I once bought a 12" by Ghostdance, but it was rubbish. I had The Mission's first album too. My dad used to work as a journalist on The Argus with Annie Nightingale. £2.55 a week isn't brilliant - surprised but happy that you could afford all those Goth "luxury" items.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My 'Goth' collection ran to The Cure, This Mortal Coil, The Mission, The Cult and The Sisters of Mercy.

Also of course The Jesus and Mary Chain, who my 14 year old self definitely pigeon-holed with the above, rather than my indiepop collection.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Roughly indie I can add:

[yt]qamZ4mMxnQc[/yt]

and

[yt]bTwWsz4vEOU[/yt]

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester

Yes, a lot of that stuff was great. Wasn't it called "positive punk" for a while? Alien sex Fiend were ace. I've still got a turd coloured 12" of theirs somewhere.

Can I also confess an affection for the first Christian Death album, or is that going too far?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Has this become a thread of confessions? If so can I admit to having a fondness for this which I played non stop at the time of release

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Roughly indie I can add:

[ayt]qamZ4mMxnQc[/yt]

and

[yt]bTwWsz4vEOU[/yt]

Interesting Phoenix choice. Love that album - their first great one. Don't know Kashmir - they seem to have been around a while though. Couldn't hear them at their best - listening on an iPhone on a train with no headphones and it keeps stopping. What I've got so far sounds like a more guitary The National, but I may be way off...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
CorgiRegisteredFriend;61 17189 said:
Has this become a thread of confessions? If so can I admit to having a fondness for this which I played non stop at the time of release

No need for confessions- we're all old enough to have no shame any more. The Sisters had a stock of great songs, this one for example:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not having SoM as a 'confession'. Never.

Some absolute EPICS. This Corrosion for starters.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Never really got into the Sisters. Went out with two sisters once - not at the same time though.

Here's a confession: I once went to a BRYAN ADAMS concert. With my MUM. And shouted so hard for an encore that I LOST my VOICE. True story I'm afraid. This was at the Brighton Centre.

Flex Your Head

The Gothiest I got was Love by The Cult. I once bought a 12" by Ghostdance, but it was rubbish. I had The Mission's first album too. My dad used to work as a journalist on The Argus with Annie Nightingale. £2.55 a week isn't brilliant - surprised but happy that you could afford all those Goth "luxury" items.
£2.55 plus school dinner money and pocket money. I was was probably clearing a fiver a week. Riches!

Not goth at all, utterly brilliant and probably still the loudest band I've ever seen (at The Escape with 14 Iced Bears)...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Well done for getting the thread back on track.

I saw the Bachelor Pad supporting Jesse Garon and The Desperadoes in Kings Manor Cellars in York in 1987. Kings Manor was a medieval manor house used by the University to teach latin and palaeography, and for a while we were allowed to hold gigs in the 13th Century wine cellars. They were very atmospheric affairs, as you can imagine, but a bit nervy as it had a medieval vaulted ceiling which contained no cement, but was held in place solely by gravity. I was always convinced that some of the louder bands could bring it down.

A few years later a friend of mine tried to book the Bachelor Pad for a gig in Leeds and phoned them up just after they'd broken up, to have one of them in tears on the other end of the line because he was so upset at the end of the band.

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well done for getting the thread back on track.

I saw the Bachelor Pad supporting Jesse Garon and The Desperadoes in Kings Manor Cellars in York in 1987. Kings Manor was a medieval manor house used by the University to teach latin and palaeography, and for a while we were allowed to hold gigs in the 13th Century wine cellars. They were very atmospheric affairs, as you can imagine, but a bit nervy as it had a medieval vaulted ceiling which contained no cement, but was held in place solely by gravity. I was always convinced that some of the louder bands could bring it down.

A few years later a friend of mine tried to book the Bachelor Pad for a gig in Leeds and phoned them up just after they'd broken up, to have one of them in tears on the other end of the line because he was so upset at the end of the band.

I don't mind The Bachelor Pad. The Country Pancake video is a little bit zany for me - it was near the end of the NME Carry On Disarming video - I was always feeling a bit tired by the time it got to this song. Love Jesse Garon though.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm thinking: "Get away. Run away. Far away. How do I?" but not in a good way. This is the danger with reformations - they can replace the idealised image you have from the original days...still love you Clare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here