Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Flex Your Head

View attachment 49911?

Flex Yr head will be along to tell us who everybody is, I imagine. I only know Clare, Matt, Everett True and Harvey Williams

Nope, was never really a fan of Sarah beyond a dozen or so releases; I much preferred the Subway sound.

CorgiRegisteredFriend said:
At 1m44s in there is an interview with what could be 14 iced bears? The girl on the far left and the guy speaking

I can't see the clip at work, but I don't recall 14 Iced Bears ever having a female member. Rob, the 'frontman' of the band, now has a bald head with slightly wild hair bursting out on either side. Is it him?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Nope, was never really a fan of Sarah beyond a dozen or so releases; I much preferred the Subway sound.

I can't see the clip at work, but I don't recall 14 Iced Bears ever having a female member. Rob, the 'frontman' of the band, now has a bald head with slightly wild hair bursting out on either side. Is it him?

No- it's not him then. They really look familiar- may have to be brave enough to ask tomorrow- if I am totally wrong which is very likely I will just plead madness.

Flex Your Head

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Apropros of absolutely nothing other than it just came on via random shuffle, here's a great cover of Talulah Gosh's "Steaming Train" by The Frenchmen from America 6 or 7 years ago. I bloody love it, I do. You can download the MP3 for free.

http://blog.shelflife.com/2008/11/07/the-frenchmen-steaming-train/

I remember preferring that version to the original- not heard it for years though so thanks for that. I recall the Frenchmen album as a favourite so I'll dig it out.

Perhaps that should be the new post Christmas theme for this thread - covers of indiepop songs?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Can we have a ban on cover versions of indie songs sung in a sickly sweet way by female vocalists and used on adverts? Pet hate of mine. I see that Mellotron has started an electro thread. Should we broaden ours to be a C86/indie thread in the title (I think it already is in substance) to encourage new participants, or is that dumbing down? Not that I think we need any new participants to carry on - we can just carry on like this until NSC closes down. Plenty to cover. Particularly happy in 2014 to cover new music - I have a morbid fear of becoming like some of my friends and relying on an ever-decreasing number of ageing and established bands. I won't let that happen to me! Corgi, when are they publishing the Dandelion Festive 50? I looking to discover some unheard beauties from their list...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Can we have a ban on cover versions of indie songs sung in a sickly sweet way by female vocalists and used on adverts? Pet hate of mine. I see that Mellotron has started an electro thread. Should we broaden ours to be a C86/indie thread in the title (I think it already is in substance) to encourage new participants, or is that dumbing down? Not that I think we need any new participants to carry on - we can just carry on like this until NSC closes down. Plenty to cover. Particularly happy in 2014 to cover new music - I have a morbid fear of becoming like some of my friends and relying on an ever-decreasing number of ageing and established bands. I won't let that happen to me! Corgi, when are they publishing the Dandelion Festive 50? I looking to discover some unheard beauties from their list...

Here it is tiny. And a perfect top five it is.

2013 Festive Fifty: Numbers 50-01Edit
50: Helen Love: Atomic
49: PJ Harvey: Shaker Aamer
48: Flowers: Joanna
47: The Count Of Chateau Noir: After The Carnival
46: Chvrches: The Mother We Share
45: Colour Me Wednesday: Shut
44: Cyclic Freeload Unit: My Ram Is Sick
43: Wolfhounds: Divide And Fall
42: Ryan Hardy: Oh My Stars
41: Veronica Falls: Buried Alive
40: Mogwai: Wizard Motor
39: Mat Riviere: In About Two Seconds
38: John Grant: GMF
37: My Bloody Valentine: In Another Way
36: Dissolved: Forgotten Processes
35: UZ: Trapshit V12
34: Tyrannosaurus Dead: Sadie
33: Tullycraft: Lost In Light Rotation
32: Short Stories: Angry Young Man
31: Burning Condors: Dirty Girl Blues
30: Bordellos: Temperature Drop
29: TeenCanteen: Honey
28: Postcode: Sunfield
27: Jeffrey Lewis & The Rain: WWPRD
26: JD Meatyard: Blow It Out Your Arse
25: Drenge: Backwaters
24: Daft Punk: Giorgio By Moroder
23: Council Tax Band: Mentioning No Names
22: Future Of The Left: Singing Of The Bonesaws
21: Arcade Fire: Reflektor
20: Mega Emotion: Brains
19: Katie Gately: Pipes
18: Wolfhounds: Cheer Up
17: Mogwai: What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?
16: Savages: She Will
15: Flies On You: Josephine
14: Diane Marie Kloba: I Saw The Stars
13: Joanna Gruesome: Sugarcrush
12: Public Service Broadcasting: Signal 30
11: Cloud: Mother Sea
10: The Fall: No Respects Rev
09: Spook School: I'll Be Honest
08: David Bowie: Where Are We Now?
07: Martha: Sycamore
06: JD Meatyard: Jesse James
05: Public Service Broadcasting: Spitfire
04: **** Buttons: Hidden XS
03: The Fall: Sir William Wray
02: **** Buttons: Brainfreeze
01: Wedding Present: Two Bridges

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
great stuff - lots to work with here - only got about ten of these.

Great to see The Weddoes at number one! Like you say-a few tracks worth checking out. Already had a listen to Council Tax Band who released a three track ep in March 2013. Also The Wolfhounds sounding as good as ever.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I voted for the Wolfhounds. Good to see a reformed band doing it properly and not trading too much on past glories.

As for this thread, I get embarrassed about resurrecting it as it's a Brighton board and I'm just a lurker really. It's more or less the only thread I contribute to on here. It is good for hearing things you've not heard before though.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
it's a Brighton board and I'm just a lurker really

Don't do yourself down Staly! You are a key member of this thread's ultras. It's sad that you won't be able to swap random CDs with us at home matches, but that's life. Shrewsbury is a nice place - I once visited the Cadfael attraction there and had dinner in Pizza Express. Great times. Shame about T'Pau though. Reminds me of one of my favourite Tim Vine jokes:

So Batman came up to me & he hit me over the head with a vase & he went T' PAU! I said "Don't you mean KAPOW?? He said "No, I've got china in my hand."

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Don't do yourself down Staly! You are a key member of this thread's ultras. It's sad that you won't be able to swap random CDs with us at home matches, but that's life. Shrewsbury is a nice place - I once visited the Cadfael attraction there and had dinner in Pizza Express. Great times. Shame about T'Pau though. Reminds me of one of my favourite Tim Vine jokes:

So Batman came up to me & he hit me over the head with a vase & he went T' PAU! I said "Don't you mean KAPOW?? He said "No, I've got china in my hand."

T'Pau were from Telford, happily. Telford/ Shrewsbury is a kind of Crawley/ Brighton thing.

Bizarrely enough I saw them live once at Telford Ice Rink in [1985?] supported by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry (!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here