Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've got that Sound of Music album. It's the kind of thing you forget about and then think "That might be interesting". But it's actually the sound of your world falling apart on a wet Sunday afternoon. Staly, I seem to recall that you are not a friend of Blueboy - you must hate their track as I think it is aggravatingly annoying, and I quite like Blueboy in small doses. The bloke who ran Bring On Bull records and did the Waaaah fanzines sent me most of the Bring On Bull releases once - for free. Nice bloke. However, a lot of them are not memorable...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
A good compilation album:

album.jpg

Attachments

• album.jpg
    album.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 135

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've got that Sound of Music album. It's the kind of thing you forget about and then think "That might be interesting". But it's actually the sound of your world falling apart on a wet Sunday afternoon. Staly, I seem to recall that you are not a friend of Blueboy - you must hate their track as I think it is aggravatingly annoying, and I quite like Blueboy in small doses. The bloke who ran Bring On Bull records and did the Waaaah fanzines sent me most of the Bring On Bull releases once - for free. Nice bloke. However, a lot of them are not memorable...

I don't dislike Blue boy as much as I dislike Bouquet, who provide the worst track on that dreadful record.

I thought that the best of the cassette compilations was this one, which had fabulous Orchids and TVPs tracks on, plus not a bad supporting cast at all:

R-2429530-1283585454.jpeg

I used to like Madder Rose a lot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm stretching the 'on the fringes' theme a bit too far here, but around the same era, I liked these chaps. Actually my girlfriend (now wife) liked them because 'the singer looks like Matt Dillon', but I heard this yesterday, and it sounded good.

Flex Your Head

I'm stretching the 'on the fringes' theme a bit too far here, but around the same era, I liked these chaps. Actually my girlfriend (now wife) liked them because 'the singer looks like Matt Dillon', but I heard this yesterday, and it sounded good.

Will somebody please think of the (Railway) Children...

They kinda passed me by a bit, but that was pretty good in a rather wannabe-Smiths-y way. Were they always quite so chirpy?

Staly said:
In fact I'm going to post the TVPs track because it's soooo good:

I just re-read something I wrote about Dan way back in Christmas 2008; I used to love them soooo much, but he turned out to be such an utter bell-end. I was going to post it here, but it's long and it's sweary and potentially libellous, so I'd best not :whistle:

Anyway, back to 1987 and this little gem:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

i was a big fan. Them playing live at the Africa Centre in London in 1987 was one of my favourite gigs. They seemed to have their heads turned a bit by the offer of fame and fortune when they signed to Virgin. There was a fairly obvious attempt to market the lead singer as a teen heartthrob. The music became over-produced and sterile. Great first album though, and Brighter will always be one of my favourite songs. A true indie jangle classic.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I just re-read something I wrote about Dan way back in Christmas 2008; I used to love them soooo much, but he turned out to be such an utter bell-end. I was going to post it here, but it's long and it's sweary and potentially libellous, so I'd best not :whistle:

If you posted it on anorak forum I think I remember it.

The guy's written so many of my favourite songs over the years that I'm prepared to forgive character flaws, especially as I've never met him. It's the same as liking The Fall, I guess. MES is an a-hole too, but doesn't detract from the music.

Whatever his faults he's paying for them now anyway, poor sod.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Will somebody please think of the (Railway) Children...

They kinda passed me by a bit, but that was pretty good in a rather wannabe-Smiths-y way. Were they always quite so chirpy?

Not always. Not to start with, anyway.

i was a big fan. Them playing live at the Africa Centre in London in 1987 was one of my favourite gigs. They seemed to have their heads turned a bit by the offer of fame and fortune when they signed to Virgin. There was a fairly obvious attempt to market the lead singer as a teen heartthrob. The music became over-produced and sterile. Great first album though, and Brighter will always be one of my favourite songs. A true indie jangle classic.

All that, yes

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Anyway, back to 1987 and this little gem:

Ooooh, I'd forgotten about the Mosspoles. That could've fitted onto my abandoned "bands with one good song" thread. This was going to be on it:

As was "Don't Go Back" by The Popinjays, except there doesn't seem to be a video for it on Youtube. I'm always surprised now when something's not on Youtubre- sign of the times.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This little lot is up to £35...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indie-C86...usic_Music_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item1e82cb9d9e

By the way, Staly; your "bands with one good song" thread sounds like a winner to me.

I would like The Pastels and Brilliant Corner tapes please!
There was a guy in Brighton in the eighties who sold tapes of bands playing live. he had a stall in the street market in the laines. His tapes had very similar packaging so wonder if they were originally bought from him. I got a few at the tIme including Elvis Costello at The Top Rank. It was when he was still decent and the support act that night were a little known act callled The Pogues.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

Hang on though, because the bands they are actually listed as playing are not C86 at all! Ocean Colour Scene? The list of bands they say they'll play makes the Pav Tav seem alternative. And what's more, no Bogshed anywhere...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

That C86 night in full... Someone should call advertising standards. They might as well called it a Northern Soul night for all the relevance to the style of music... Ok, the Pastels are in there somewhere, but otherwise... And where are Stump?

PURE INDIE ROCK AND ROLL // the only midweek indie party worth giving a toss about. We play the finest grade A indie beats from dusk til dawn, if you have the attitude, we have the music.

***** MUSIC // INDIE MUSIC WE PLAY *****

Our resident DJs will be laying down the tunes, plus we have special guest DJs from your favourite breaking bands from around Brighton each week.

You can expect to get down to: The Smiths, Joy Division, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, The Libertines, Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Peace, PIL, The Clash, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Jam, Jake Bugg, Blur, The Kills, The House of Love, Primal Scream, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Iggy and The Stooges, David Bowie, Interpol, Tame Impala, Haim, The Heartbreaks, The Sleepwalks, The Crookes, Blondie, New Order, Ramones, Pixies, Ian Brown, Beady Eye, NGHFB, Sex Pistols, The La's, The Cribs, The White Stripes, Babyshambles, The Art Club, Splashh, Talking Heads, Arcade Fire, The Courteeners, Palma Violets, Morrisey, Kasabian, Eels, Pulp, The Cure, The Black Keys, Fleetwood Mac, MC5, The Replacements, Nirvana, Rolling Stones, The Charlatans, Ancient Times, The Pastels, The Whether Prophets, James, The Strokes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The View, Echo and The Bunnymen, Jagwar Ma, Miles Kane, The Strypes, The Vaccines, MGMT, Ocean Colour Scene, The Verve, Bayy, Reverand And The Makers, The Enemy, The XX, Smashing Pumpkins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yuck, The Zutons.

***** MUSIC // INDIE MUSIC WE DON'T PLAY *****

The Killers, Kings of Leon, Daft Punk, Mumford and Sons, Bloc Party, Muse, Bastille, Kaiser Chiefs, The Wombats, The Kooks, The Klaxons, Snow Patrol, Coldplay.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That C86 night in full... Someone should call advertising standards. They might as well called it a Northern Soul night for all the relevance to the style of music... Ok, the Pastels are in there somewhere, but otherwise... And where are Stump?

PURE INDIE ROCK AND ROLL // the only midweek indie party worth giving a toss about. We play the finest grade A indie beats from dusk til dawn, if you have the attitude, we have the music.

Our resident DJs will be laying down the tunes, plus we have special guest DJs from your favourite breaking bands from around Brighton each week.

You can expect to get down to: The Smiths, Joy Division, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, The Libertines, Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Peace, PIL, The Clash, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Jam, Jake Bugg, Blur, The Kills, The House of Love, Primal Scream, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Iggy and The Stooges, David Bowie, Interpol, Tame Impala, Haim, The Heartbreaks, The Sleepwalks, The Crookes, Blondie, New Order, Ramones, Pixies, Ian Brown, Beady Eye, NGHFB, Sex Pistols, The La's, The Cribs, The White Stripes, Babyshambles, The Art Club, Splashh, Talking Heads, Arcade Fire, The Courteeners, Palma Violets, Morrisey, Kasabian, Eels, Pulp, The Cure, The Black Keys, Fleetwood Mac, MC5, The Replacements, Nirvana, Rolling Stones, The Charlatans, Ancient Times, The Pastels, The Whether Prophets, James, The Strokes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The View, Echo and The Bunnymen, Jagwar Ma, Miles Kane, The Strypes, The Vaccines, MGMT, Ocean Colour Scene, The Verve, Bayy, Reverand And The Makers, The Enemy, The XX, Smashing Pumpkins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yuck, The Zutons.

The Killers, Kings of Leon, Daft Punk, Mumford and Sons, Bloc Party, Muse, Bastille, Kaiser Chiefs, The Wombats, The Kooks, The Klaxons, Snow Patrol, Coldplay.

Weird, schizophrenic selection. They'd rather play Fleetwood Mac and Ocean Colour Scene than Bloc Party or the Killers?

And doesn't seem to bear any relation to C86 whatsoever.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Very odd indeed. They will play the awful Kasabian, but not play the equally awful Kings Of Leon and since when has Bowie been indie- am guessing in 1986 he was playing the awful China Girl stuff. Obviously a club night to avoid. Too old for that anyway!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Very odd indeed. They will play the awful Kasabian, but not play the equally awful Kings Of Leon and since when has Bowie been indie- am guessing in 1986 he was playing the awful China Girl stuff. Obviously a club night to avoid. Too old for that anyway!

I was going to mention Kasabian, but you've beaten me to it. Almost wrote in my first post that I was hoping it wasn't the kind of "indie disco" that played the likes of Kasabian. I'd rather listen to the Killers and Kooks than Beady Eye and The Enemy, but I'd rather not listen to either. This disco is a SHAM. When's the next Another Sunny Day??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here