Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That C86 night in full... Someone should call advertising standards. They might as well called it a Northern Soul night for all the relevance to the style of music... Ok, the Pastels are in there somewhere, but otherwise... And where are Stump?

PURE INDIE ROCK AND ROLL // the only midweek indie party worth giving a toss about. We play the finest grade A indie beats from dusk til dawn, if you have the attitude, we have the music.

***** MUSIC // INDIE MUSIC WE PLAY *****

Our resident DJs will be laying down the tunes, plus we have special guest DJs from your favourite breaking bands from around Brighton each week.

You can expect to get down to: The Smiths, Joy Division, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, The Libertines, Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Peace, PIL, The Clash, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Jam, Jake Bugg, Blur, The Kills, The House of Love, Primal Scream, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Iggy and The Stooges, David Bowie, Interpol, Tame Impala, Haim, The Heartbreaks, The Sleepwalks, The Crookes, Blondie, New Order, Ramones, Pixies, Ian Brown, Beady Eye, NGHFB, Sex Pistols, The La's, The Cribs, The White Stripes, Babyshambles, The Art Club, Splashh, Talking Heads, Arcade Fire, The Courteeners, Palma Violets, Morrisey, Kasabian, Eels, Pulp, The Cure, The Black Keys, Fleetwood Mac, MC5, The Replacements, Nirvana, Rolling Stones, The Charlatans, Ancient Times, The Pastels, The Whether Prophets, James, The Strokes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The View, Echo and The Bunnymen, Jagwar Ma, Miles Kane, The Strypes, The Vaccines, MGMT, Ocean Colour Scene, The Verve, Bayy, Reverand And The Makers, The Enemy, The XX, Smashing Pumpkins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yuck, The Zutons.

***** MUSIC // INDIE MUSIC WE DON'T PLAY *****

The Killers, Kings of Leon, Daft Punk, Mumford and Sons, Bloc Party, Muse, Bastille, Kaiser Chiefs, The Wombats, The Kooks, The Klaxons, Snow Patrol, Coldplay.

Wtf is THAT?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
An IQ of 86? No wonder they're loading up the playlist with Reverend and the Makers and Ian Brown - they want their mates to turn up.

I can honestly say I don't think I have ever listened to anything by Reverend and the Makers.

Flex Your Head

I can honestly say I don't think I have ever listened to anything by Reverend and the Makers.

I can honestly say that you're not missing out.

I can't believe that the organisers of the C86 night (boo hiss!) wrote Whether Prophets rather than Weather Prophets. Did one of their dads mention them as a good C86 band and they assumed the wrong spelling... or what?

*off to the Advertising Standards Authority*

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I can't believe that the organisers of the C86 night (boo hiss!) wrote Whether Prophets rather than Weather Prophets. Did one of their dads mention them as a good C86 band and they assumed the wrong spelling... or what?

Have they asked you to DJ yet? They won't be wanting The Tuts, maybe The Script though - they're a bit "indie", aren't they??

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

You could well be right. I am almost tempted to pop along on Tuesday just to see who is running this event and report back with a 'set list' of what they play.

Flex Your Head

Have they asked you to DJ yet? They won't be wanting The Tuts, maybe The Script though - they're a bit "indie", aren't they??

Ha - I don't imagine that two old curmudgeons with early-onset arthritis would quite fit the bill. Which is a shame as I'd love to fill their ears with Shop Assistance, Dune Brides and See Urchins.

Flex Your Head

When's the next Another Sunny Day??

Brought to you by the people who bring you Another Sunny Day...

Saturday 7th December - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/249573

The running order is decided on the night to ensure things get increasingly party as the evening goes on. Another Sunny Day Indiepop Club DJs will keep the party going with delightful and bemusing selection of covers and pop bangers til the wee small hours.

A potted history of the Covers Party:

Over a decade ago Nottingham promoters Whycan'twejustallgetalong? decided to get all their friends’ bands to play at a Christmas party. Because there were a lot of them, and to make it a bit more interesting, they asked the bands to only play cover versions and to limit their sets to 3 songs. They christened it “The Christmas Covers Party”. Well, you would, wouldn’t you? Since those early days affiliated Christmas Covers Parties have started up in London and Southsea, and as of 2011, started by a couple of Nottingham Christmas Covers Party stalwarts who'd moved there, in BRIGHTON!

Besides the short sets, the difference from a regular show is that there are no headliners - the music has a gradual gradient from 'less party earlier to more party later' – and the bands don't tell anyone what they are going to play. Over the years all sorts of red herrings have been planted to throw covers detectives off track. Previous years have seen medleys of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Spandau Ballet and covers ranging from Cher Lloyd to Throbbing Gristle, from Belle and Sebastian to R Kelly (those last two in the same set!). In short it's great fun, and for a good cause.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Corgi, this is one hit you shouldn't feel obliged to take for the team. I think we'll just leave this one for the students.

Guessing too that someone in their mid forties sitting in the corner making notes with a disapproving face is going to look a little suspicious.
As club nights go Murray's evening on the 7th December looks very interesting and we are playing at home that day.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Brought to you by the people who bring you Another Sunny Day...

Saturday 7th December - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/249573

The running order is decided on the night to ensure things get increasingly party as the evening goes on. Another Sunny Day Indiepop Club DJs will keep the party going with delightful and bemusing selection of covers and pop bangers til the wee small hours.

A potted history of the Covers Party:

Over a decade ago Nottingham promoters Whycan'twejustallgetalong? decided to get all their friends’ bands to play at a Christmas party. Because there were a lot of them, and to make it a bit more interesting, they asked the bands to only play cover versions and to limit their sets to 3 songs. They christened it “The Christmas Covers Party”. Well, you would, wouldn’t you? Since those early days affiliated Christmas Covers Parties have started up in London and Southsea, and as of 2011, started by a couple of Nottingham Christmas Covers Party stalwarts who'd moved there, in BRIGHTON!

Besides the short sets, the difference from a regular show is that there are no headliners - the music has a gradual gradient from 'less party earlier to more party later' – and the bands don't tell anyone what they are going to play. Over the years all sorts of red herrings have been planted to throw covers detectives off track. Previous years have seen medleys of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Spandau Ballet and covers ranging from Cher Lloyd to Throbbing Gristle, from Belle and Sebastian to R Kelly (those last two in the same set!). In short it's great fun, and for a good cause.

Sounds fun. You cant beat a good cover version. This is my ultimate favourite For Christmas- great pic of the man himself too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
OK- favourite songs of the year. Here's mine. This will pigeonhole me a little bit as someone stuck in a timewarp, but I just can't get past this tune, the melancholy, the harmonies, the adorable indie girls. If I was 16, this song would define my life. As I'm a bit older, it merely makes me want to turn the volume up to maximum, turn the lights down and create my own private indie disco at home. Gorgeous.

[yt]8A8yRqDIrBw[/yt]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
C
OK- favourite songs of the year. Here's mine. This will pigeonhole me a little bit as someone stuck in a timewarp, but I just can't get past this tune, the melancholy, the harmonies, the adorable indie girls. If I was 16, this song would define my life. As I'm a bit older, it merely makes me want to turn the volume up to maximum, turn the lights down and create my own private indie disco at home. Gorgeous.

[yt]8A8yRqDIrBw[/yt]

Terrific.

And at the end, YouTube offers up this one, which is equally good.

Veronica Falls it is, for the next time we want to ensure a three goal home win :thumbsup:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

Oh, if we're talking about gigs coming up, I think this has been mentioned before, but next Saturday is the 80p weekender at the Horse and Groom, Islingward Road, Hanover.

The Fireworks are playing 8:30 the Saturday night, but there are lots of other bands on, including the Tuts, and Slum of Legs... and it's free!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
C

Terrific.

And at the end, YouTube offers up this one, which is equally good.

Veronica Falls it is, for the next time we want to ensure a three goal home win :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: That'll be Leicester on the 7th - that really is putting the theory to the test...???

Oh, if we're talking about gigs coming up, I think this has been mentioned before, but next Saturday is the 80p weekender at the Horse and Groom, Islingward Road, Hanover.

The Fireworks are playing 8:30 the Saturday night, but there are lots of other bands on, including the Tuts, and Slum of Legs... and it's free!

Shaun, sounds perfect. If you can buy me a house in Brighton or invent some kind of transporter for me, I will definitely attend! If you play in Canterbury ever, let me know. May be able to provide accommodation in return for freebies....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here