Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Flex Your Head

As club nights go Murray's evening on the 7th December looks very interesting and we are playing at home that day.

I should point out that I'm not invlolved with this night at all, but if I lived in Brighton, I'd be there with bells on (possibly quite literally given the festive theme!)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ndie-bands-found-in-camden-lock-2013111881206

Hundreds of lost indie bands found in Camden Lock
18-11-13

MORE than 300 indie bands have been discovered in Camden Lock after it was drained for repairs.

PIC: Dredgers have recovered 74% of Menswear

The musicians, caked in thick mud and entangled with shopping trolleys, empty cider cans and discarded crack cocaine wrappers, are being cleaned and restored by volunteers.

One particularly tough knot of human detritus turned out to be Shed Seven, The Shop Assistants and Klaxons.

Workman Tom Logan said: “Once the worst of the filth was cleaned off, they got Shed Seven running and we heard a brief burst of Going For Gold before they stuttered to a halt.”

The bands, thought to have blundered into the canal while drunk and wearing shades at night, are being pieced together by volunteers who have appealed for help from anyone who read the NME between the late 80s and 2002.

EMI executive Joseph Turner said: “It’s all very well putting these bands back together, but there’s only a limited amount of mid-afternoon festival slots and I want those kept free for younger, more attractive folktronica acts.”

Conservationist Carolyn Ryan described the find as “a living relic of more androgynous times”.

She said: “Working out whether a man in skinny jeans was a member of the Wombats, the Guillemots or the Pigeon Detectives is very hard.

“And drummers often have no idea what band they were in because they were at the back and not paying attention.”

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've been spending a lot of time thinking about Strawberry Switchblade over the last few days. I'm sure that this is a condition with which many of you are familiar. Sure Since Yesterday was a great song, they looked fabulous and were very influential in their way, but I really can't get on with the rest of their stuff. Don't dislike it, just pfffft. This means they join a list of bands that I think I ought to like but haven't ever managed to get into, despite serious investigation. Alternative TV and Devo are also on this list.And Ballboy I'm afraid (ducks).

So i was going to put them in my bands with one good song theme, but I thought it would spark rioting, so I've invented a new more charitable theme for them called "big sisters of indiepop", about female precursors. So we have:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
We need a definitive list of indie bands with one good song. I think Strawberry Switchblade fit the bill. Bang Bang Machine (although listened again recently and found the song a bit boring). Paris Angels anyone?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I love Since Yesterday. Always imagined that Saint Etienne could have done a terrific (if maybe a little too polished) version of it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I love Since Yesterday. Always imagined that Saint Etienne could have done a terrific (if maybe a little too polished) version of it.

...and an average indie guitar band could have done a dull, perfunctory version [coughRevolver[cough]. Actually, put Revolver on the list for the sublime Heaven Sent An Angel.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Mighty Lemon Drops only had one song, which they endlessly repeated. Wasn't a particularly good one though.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Oasis - Acquiesce

I'm tempted to nominate The House of Love as well, but they had 3 or 4 good songs to be fair.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Pale Saints
Parchment (I think that's what they were called)
Right Said Fred
Family Cat?

I'll agree with The Family Cat, but not Pale Saints - are you nominating Sight of You as the good song? Look no further than the b-side She Rides The Waves - even better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here