Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I remember that gig very well (Happy Birthday!)! There's a video of it knocking around somewhere...

You were pretty good that night. I had a poster for the gig on my bedroom wall. Unfortunately it was next to a U2 Under A Blood Red Sky one :)ban:) that I hadn't bothered taking down, which was eventually superseded by a Birdland :)facepalm:) one and ultimately a New Order True Faith one. Which was next to a HUGE Bizarro poster.

Flex Your Head

The Talulah Gosh set last night was short but very sweet; Amelia Fletcher, Eithne Farry and Peter Momtchiloff playing four songs.

Talulah Gosh
Don’t Go Away
Just a Dream
And… erm… I can’t remember right now.

“We are here to bury Talulah Gosh once and for all”. Maybe that will be the last we ever hear of them.

I loved it and actually felt a teeny bit emotional during Just a Dream as it was always one of my favourites but they hardly ever played it live.

First time I saw Talulah Gosh (at the Basement) they arrived late; “Sorry, Matthew had a detention.”
Second time (The Concorde), I proposed to the girl I ended up marrying, down on one-knee, during the first chorus of Talulah Gosh when the crowd were going wild.

Bloody hell, where does the time go?

TG1.jpg

TG3.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Talulah Gosh set last night was short but very sweet; Amelia Fletcher, Eithne Farry and Peter Momtchiloff playing four songs.

Talulah Gosh
Don’t Go Away
Just a Dream
And… erm… I can’t remember right now.

“We are here to bury Talulah Gosh once and for all”. Maybe that will be the last we ever hear of them.

I loved it and actually felt a teeny bit emotional during Just a Dream as it was always one of my favourites but they hardly ever played it live.

First time I saw Talulah Gosh (at the Basement) they arrived late; “Sorry, Matthew had a detention.”
Second time (The Concorde), I proposed to the girl I ended up marrying, down on one-knee, during the first chorus of Talulah Gosh when the crowd were going wild.

Bloody hell, where does the time go?

View attachment 48360

View attachment 48361

Sounds a perfect four song set then. I was hoping with the new compilation they have just released that this was a prelude to a full blown come back.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;60 18128 said:
Sounds a perfect four song set then. I was hoping with the new compilation they have just released that this was a prelude to a full blown come back.

It would appear not, but Amelia's current band - Tender Trap - play out and about every so often.

Helen Love were great last night too; first London gig since 1999.

HeLo2.jpg

HeLo.jpg

Can't believe this was 16 years ago:

I was a bit star-struck earlier in the year when I swapped tweets with Helen Love about Craig Noone - she's a huge Cardiff fan but lives in Swansea. Hmmm...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Suprised little mention of this lot. This was played every Friday night at the basement mid mid eighties and never failed to get me dancing.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Pevenseagull's highly sensitive antennae will surely pick up the Blue Aeroplanes link. Both The Loft and The Weather Prophets recorded the classic Why Does The Rain? Anyone know why they both recorded it (leaving aside that they were 50% the same band)? I think I've only ever heard The Loft's version. Anyone know them both and say which one is better? I think I have by Once Around The Fair (compilation album) by The Loft, but I'm not sure I've ever spent much time listening to it. However, Up The Hill.. and Why Does The Rain? are both great songs, so maybe I need to revisit. I seem to recall something similar with the Sisters of Mercy and The Mission - the former recorded a song which either had Serpent's Kiss lyrics with Black Planet music, or the other way round (or something completely different). HK - resident SoM expert -can surely provide some guidance here?

Pete Astor is now (amongst other things) a visting tutor at Goldsmiths in London: http://www.gold.ac.uk/music/staff/peteastor/

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I seem to recall something similar with the Sisters of Mercy and The Mission - the former recorded a song which either had Serpent's Kiss lyrics with Black Planet music, or the other way round (or something completely different). HK - resident SoM expert -can surely provide some guidance here?

After the big build up, I'm afraid I have to let you down. Don't know about that. I guess it was something that the band were already working on before Eldritch and Hussey fell out, and they both felt they had some ownership of it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
There's a version of First and Last and Always with the Marian lyrics, and there's a version of Garden of Delight with Eldritch singing. Are you thinking of either of them?

Flex Your Head

Bands at the fringes of c86?:

Wow! Completely forgotten about The 'janglier in East Anglia' Bardots. That's a great track but probably the only one I've really heard by them before. Wasn't there an Adorable connection somewhere? I need to investigate further.

Never really got in to the Blue Aeroplanes (but I though Rodney Allen was pretty splendid in a 'poor man's Billy Bragg' kinda way) - they always made me think of The Cardiacs in that those who did like 'em, really really liked 'em. A lot.

That Green Telescopes track is new to me, but surely it's more in the psych / garage revival camp than the C86 bracket. Pretty stonkin' though!

Anyone remember The Mayfields from along the coast in Hampshire? Any three of these would grace the finest of C86 compilations (I reckon):

Top pop, eh?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Wow! Completely forgotten about The 'janglier in East Anglia' Bardots. That's a great track but probably the only one I've really heard by them before. Wasn't there an Adorable connection somewhere? I need to investigate further.

Never really got in to the Blue Aeroplanes (but I though Rodney Allen was pretty splendid in a 'poor man's Billy Bragg' kinda way) - they always made me think of The Cardiacs in that those who did like 'em, really really liked 'em. A lot.

That Green Telescopes track is new to me, but surely it's more in the psych / garage revival camp than the C86 bracket. Pretty stonkin' though!

That's the only Bardots track I like - they went baggy very quickly. I was going to post a collection of "bands that only did one good song", but I thought it was too mean so refrained.

I can stand the Blue Aeroplanes in small doses, they get tiresome quite quickly. Always loved that song for the line "if I can't talk to her, I'd like to talk about her".

Quite like the Mayfields, don't start posting any Haywains though - that way lies madness.

I lump them all in as bands which appeared on countless cassettes with fanzines. Fat Tulips, Strawberry Story, St Christopher etc. I still have loads of those in a box somewhere- Corrupt Postman, Something's Burning in Paradise etc. Anyone else? Might start digitising them....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've found my Out of the Blue cassette that I thought my parents had thrown away. It's got Feverfew, The Mousefolk and The Mayfields on it. May digitise it, but I don't recall it being much cop - one of those average compilations Staly is talking about. Better for the sleeve notes and DIY feel than for the actual music. I know now more than I ever wanted to about the demise of the Sisters of Mercy, the Sisterhood farce and the emergence of The Mission and Ghostdance. I think I was thinking about Vlack Planet music and Dance On Glass lyrics - Eldritch rejected all Hussey lyrics as meaningless rubbish, but they were used I. Some demos whilst Eldritch spent months perfecting his "poetry". Interesting that Eldritch hates/hated being labelled as a Goth and sees himself as a proponent of American 70s guitar music...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've found my Out of the Blue cassette that I thought my parents had thrown away. It's got Feverfew, The Mousefolk and The Mayfields on it. May digitise it, but I don't recall it being much cop - one of those average compilations Staly is talking about. Better for the sleeve notes and DIY feel than for the actual music. I know now more than I ever wanted to about the demise of the Sisters of Mercy, the Sisterhood farce and the emergence of The Mission and Ghostdance. I think I was thinking about Vlack Planet music and Dance On Glass lyrics - Eldritch rejected all Hussey lyrics as meaningless rubbish, but they were used I. Some demos whilst Eldritch spent months perfecting his "poetry". Interesting that Eldritch hates/hated being labelled as a Goth and sees himself as a proponent of American 70s guitar music...

God, yeah, Feverfew and Mousefolk were on them all as well. And Those Naughty Corinthians, and The Driscolls.

R-998219-1182374124.jpegR-2232586-1271279332.jpegR-2443306-1284354154.jpeg

I'm not a fan of goth stuff generally, but the Sisters rose above the bilge on occasion.

Flex Your Head

Yeah, I remember that album. I even reduced it to 99p in one of the many sales at work but still wasn’t tempted. If I heard it now, there would probably be a couple of keepers on there, but at the time, there was so much of that kinda thing around, it became disposable.

I saw Strawberry Story (who feature on the album) when they played their comeback gig at a tiny venue in north London called Monkey Chews. They were supporting Bunnygrunt (who were awesome) and just for 20 minutes or so, they sounded OK.
They got another gig playing at the Buffalo Bar supporting the Pains of Being Pure at Heart on their 2nd UK gig, and rather than playing the 25 minutes they’d been allotted, they played for 40 and they were utterly dreadful, culminating in a version of ‘I Can Sing a Rainbow’ which should have got them arrested.
Their last ever show was at Indietracks. I got off the train from watching Gregory Webster playing a beautiful acoustic set, and they were parping away on the back of the truck which used to serve as the outdoor stage. Absolutely shocking. Utter dogshit, and that’s being unduly harsh on dogshit. They knew it though, apologised profusely to the small crowd and fecked off, hopefully to never be seen again.

There’s a lesson there for us all, popkids… probably.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Have you heard Strawberry Story's version of Made Of Stone? Horrible.

I always quite liked this song though, or at least the chorus:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here