Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Weddoes were in session last night on Marc Riley's show and played Flying Saucer, new (and getting to like it the more I hear it ) song Two Bridges and a cover of Pleasant Valley Sunday. The whole show had a bit of an indie theme to it and began with the classic Fire Engines Candyskin. There was also a song early on in the show Any Answers by a band called Shopping which sounded really good and at under a minute and a half it would have fitted neatly onto Flex's CD1. Anyone else heard of them? They have got a new album out. Going to do the customary you tube search to find out more.

I hear the video is ****ing brilliant

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Will have to be patient and look at that when I get in from work.
I could not sleep last night as I was mulling through that Big Twang list of concerts. The Pastels and The Shop Assistants was one I missed. Saw all the June Brides and Bodines. The Bodines also played at The Salis Benny Hall by Grand Parade with The Mighty Lemon Drops in support. I remember not being able to hear for a week afterwards.

boik

The Weddoes were in session last night on Marc Riley's show and played Flying Saucer, new (and getting to like it the more I hear it ) song Two Bridges and a cover of Pleasant Valley Sunday. The whole show had a bit of an indie theme to it and began with the classic Fire Engines Candyskin. There was also a song early on in the show Any Answers by a band called Shopping which sounded really good and at under a minute and a half it would have fitted neatly onto Flex's CD1. Anyone else heard of them? They have got a new album out. Going to do the customary you tube search to find out more.

Damn! Missed it, but now listening to it online. Candyskin is one of my all time faves but I'm not exactly sure why. Got the 7 inch here and it's been played almost through the bottom of the groove. Just something about it's shambolic feel that I love:)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Damn! Missed it, but now listening to it online. Candyskin is one of my all time faves but I'm not exactly sure why. Got the 7 inch here and it's been played almost through the bottom of the groove. Just something about it's shambolic feel that I love:)

Do you have a link, please boik, to where you can listen?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Many thanks. That'll be the background to cooking tea, tonight. :thumbsup:

I hope you enjoy it, there is some interesting music as well as the session itself. I often have Mark Riley playing in the background at home. The great thing about online is you can skip any dud stuff. He tends to start each show with a classic oldie- in this instance the aforementioned Fire Engines and the session band appear fairly early on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope you enjoy it, there is some interesting music as well as the session itself. I often have Mark Riley playing in the background at home. The great thing about online is you can skip any dud stuff. He tends to start each show with a classic oldie- in this instance the aforementioned Fire Engines and the session band appear fairly early on.

I had my lovely new company car delivered yesterday, complete with DAB radio, so myself and 6 music are going to become far better aquainted.

It also has a little compartment where you can plug in a USB memory stick, to save cluttering up the car with dozens of CDs. I found a 64gb one for £20 on amazon last night, which I plan to load up with lots of jangly loveliness.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

Candyskin is great, but I normally flip it over. Meat Whiplash is even better! One of my favourite bands...

The WP video is very unusual, because it's a document of ATEOTS, and I think that's the thread it was posted on. It features loads of other bands apart from just TWP, which is the unusual bit. Even we feature briefly a few times in it!

Flex Your Head

There's a lot of good stuff in that article and a lot of the reference points and bands mentioned are spot on, but this whole 'twee' thing really really pisses me off.

Pitchfork said:
Happy pop geeks in love with all things pretty, listening to seven-inch singles released on tiny labels, writing songs about crushes, and taking a good deal of pride in the fact that everyone else found their music disgustingly cute and amateurish and girly.

Whilst there are a handful of people I know who (vaguely) fit that description, the vast majority are just regular folk who enjoy the music, the friendships, the banter and the beer.
There's a monthly 'pub club' in London, open to everyone, where we meet up in a different pub each time and just sit around, have a chat, have a laugh and consume too many alcoholic beverages. I very much doubt that other pub-goers look over at the group and think 'twee' or 'indie-pop fans'... if anything we probably look like a bunch of teachers on a work night out :)

The dictionary defines Twee as excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental or sweet or cute in a way that is silly or sentimental or affectedly or excessively dainty, delicate, cute, or quaint. It certainly isn't a badge of honour, and it certainly doesn't describe the bands I like or associate with 'indiepop'.

The Fireworks; twee? Shop Assistants; twee? Comet Gain; twee? Joanna Gruesome; twee? Ballboy; twee? Hardly :angry:

Mind you, I always preferred Subway to Sarah.

Rant over.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a lot of good stuff in that article and a lot of the reference points and bands mentioned are spot on, but this whole 'twee' thing really really pisses me off.

Stuff like that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I LOVE the twee end of Indiepop, and in my mind, those deriding it are the ones missing out. I find it hugely odd, that they use 'happy' as a derogatory term.

I don't give two shits if Tallulah Gosh are 'girly', or The School are 'cute'. Its good tunes, with meaningful lyrics, beautifully delivered. If the snobs don't like it, its their loss.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Candyskin is great, but I normally flip it over. Meat Whiplash is even better! One of my favourite bands...

The WP video is very unusual, because it's a document of ATEOTS, and I think that's the thread it was posted on. It features loads of other bands apart from just TWP, which is the unusual bit. Even we feature briefly a few times in it!

OK I'll own up, I did it. Mr Gedge and myself thought we'd try and replicate the feel of the weekend for the new video using different formats (iphone and different cameras). I think it works quite well.

You might have been in it a bit more if I filmed your bit rather than Mr G. I was at the football until 6pm :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Af-KkapRA&noredirect=1

[yt]85Af-KkapRA[/yt]

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Glad the CDs are still getting the occasional spin. I still have a volume II in mind, it's just that life has been very hectic over the last 3 weeks. Hopoefully things will calm down a touch now.

Anyway, here's the new Joanna Gruesome video; a feast for the ears, maybe not so for the eyes?

Loving the vinyl look all speccly, playing right now.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

It does work well, and comes across as very unusual. Must admit, I was gutted about missing the Albion as well, though ATEOTS ALWAYS seems to co-incide with a home game. I DJed once before, and made David a bit nervous, because I went to, er... Withdean (!) first, so always knew I was going to miss the game this time...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here