Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Shrews since their memorable 1979 FA Cup run - Sammy Chapman v Man City thrilled me as a youngster, although I still love a giant-killing. Slightly complicated-looking kit at that time - orange, maybe some black/white/blue as well? Gay Meadow was a lovely ground too...

Probably more of a soft spot than you've got for Leeds, eh?

Derek to my left is modelling a 1980-81 season shirt.

Jul 20, 2003
Back to the C86 remit .......... ladies and gentlemen I give you :

oh my days, is that ever a good song

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Christ, do I wish I had kept my Sarah records singles in good nick, I could buy a Caribbean island

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Orchids were a very underrated band in my opinion. Their reformation a few years ago yielded some good songs, too. Especially this:

Jul 20, 2003
one of my favourite Sarah 7"

(#17 ............ top right corner of Temple Meads Railway station)

Jul 20, 2003
The Orchids were a very underrated band in my opinion. Their reformation a few years ago yielded some good songs, too. Especially this:

It's sort of like 'Doves' but better ............... Jolly good :)

Flex Your Head

Bizarre fact - I once saw Boyracer do an entire set of Golden Dawn covers. I have no idea why.

Boyracer are still going, albeit sporadically, but over in the States. Stewart Boyracer also releses records under the name Tricia Yates Fanclub - pop-picking Grange Hill fact fans.

I DJ'ed at a gig for The Catalysts a few years back. The Catalysts turned out to be one man band; Ulric Kennedy from The Golden Dawn and The Mixers, and he played a couple of songs by each band. They still sounded bloody great.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I always liked this song, especially from about 2 minutes in. The version with the Cannanes is better, but there only seems to be a substandard live version on Youtube.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Probably more of a soft spot than you've got for Leeds, eh?

Derek to my left is modelling a 1980-81 season shirt.

Ah, it all makes sense now. I know extremely reasonable and intelligent Leeds fans. I've met, but don't really know, some really unreasonable and unintelligent ones too. I don't particularly like their habit of scoring undeserved equalisers/winners in the last minute against us though, although I don't mind it when we do it to them.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Weddoes were in session last night on Marc Riley's show and played Flying Saucer, new (and getting to like it the more I hear it ) song Two Bridges and a cover of Pleasant Valley Sunday. The whole show had a bit of an indie theme to it and began with the classic Fire Engines Candyskin. There was also a song early on in the show Any Answers by a band called Shopping which sounded really good and at under a minute and a half it would have fitted neatly onto Flex's CD1. Anyone else heard of them? They have got a new album out. Going to do the customary you tube search to find out more.

Flex Your Head

There was also a song early on in the show Any Answers by a band called Shopping which sounded really good and at under a minute and a half it would have fitted neatly onto Flex's CD1. Anyone else heard of them? They have got a new album out. Going to do the customary you tube search to find out more.

Do they sound a bit like The Raincoats? If so, it's probably this bunch who are fronted by Rachel who was in the fantastic Golden Grrrls.

https://soundcloud.com/shoppingband

There's three songs from their recent-ish Brighton show at the top of this thread - http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4841&start=20

Have to admit, I'm not massively keen, but it's better than most of the crud currently being given airtime.

Flex Your Head

Speaking of Anorak, there's a thread called 'C86 Era Gigs and Clubs' - http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6789 - which has lost of interesting posts, not least this recent one by someone with the user-name 'Michael Quentin' (who was doubtless in Ten Million Quentins):

I was involved in a night, The Big Twang, which ran every Tuesday at The Royal Escape Club in Brighton for three months in 1985. The nights were:

October 1st: That Petrol Emotion and Whirl. The Wolfhounds were scheduled but cancelled.
October 8th: The Jasmine Minks, The June Brides and The Milk Sisters. I have Whirl listed but crossed out in my diary.
October 15th: The Pastels, The Shop Assistants, Ten Million Quentins.
October 22nd: Del Amitri, The Dentists, The Little Charmers.
October 29th: Big Twang Disco. (Gee Mr Tracey and Fire Hydrant Five cancelled).
November 5th: Microdisney, One Potato and Ten Million Quentins.
November 12th: The Avons, Reindeers, Charles Cold.
November 19th: Primal Scream, The Weather Prophets, Whirl.
November 26th: The Bodines, The Mighty Lemondrops, The Milk Sisters.
December 3rd: Jamie Wednesday and The Mighty Clive.
December 10th: The Wedding Present, Line and The 14 Iced Bears (their first gig, iirc).
December 15th: The Big Twang Mystery Tour: June Brides, Shop Assistants, Clive Pig, Ten Million Quentins, The Chesterfields. (There's more about this on the 'Fruitier Than Thou' blog_.
December 17th: TV Personalities and The Shop Assistants.

The next one was meant to be Big Flame, but they split up in the meantime (much to my dismay).

I went to quite a few of those, but not the Mystery Tour - gutted. Anyone else?

Oh, and the mention of the 'Fruitier Than Thou' blog (which looks brilliant and is crammed with great old Peel sessions) led me to this review of The Fireworks 7": http://pleaserainfall.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/making-contact-gets-harder-as-silence.html

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Do they sound a bit like The Raincoats? If so, it's probably this bunch who are fronted by Rachel who was in the fantastic Golden Grrrls.

https://soundcloud.com/shoppingband

There's three songs from their recent-ish Brighton show at the top of this thread - http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4841&start=20

Have to admit, I'm not massively keen, but it's better than most of the crud currently being given airtime.

Could well be them. I found their current website and difficult to be totally sure. There is some live stuff on You tube which was not as good as the track I heard on the radio.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Speaking of Anorak, there's a thread called 'C86 Era Gigs and Clubs' - http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6789 - which has lost of interesting posts, not least this recent one by someone with the user-name 'Michael Quentin' (who was doubtless in Ten Million Quentins):

I was involved in a night, The Big Twang, which ran every Tuesday at The Royal Escape Club in Brighton for three months in 1985. The nights were:

October 1st: That Petrol Emotion and Whirl. The Wolfhounds were scheduled but cancelled.
October 8th: The Jasmine Minks, The June Brides and The Milk Sisters. I have Whirl listed but crossed out in my diary.
December 10th: The Wedding Present, Line and The 14 Iced Bears (their first gig, iirc).
December 15th: The Big Twang Mystery Tour: June Brides, Shop Assistants, Clive Pig, Ten Million Quentins, The Chesterfields. (There's more about this on the 'Fruitier Than Thou' blog_.

The next one was meant to be Big Flame, but they split up in the meantime (much to my dismay).

'

Oh, and the mention of the 'Fruitier Than Thou' blog (which looks brilliant and is crammed with great old Peel sessions) led me to this review of The Fireworks 7": http://pleaserainfall.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/making-contact-gets-harder-as-silence.html

This has brought back so many memories. I spent most of my Brighton student life at The Big Twang, Sunshine Playroom and Friday nights at The Basement. The Big twang I seem to remember also ran on the odd Sunday night. Josh Dean was a DJ and promotor who I think was behind The Big Twang- he introduced me to the not so indie and eventually mainstream Farmers Boys who I enjoyed a lot at the time. They eventually signed to EMI sadly and did a dodgy Cliff Richard cover of In The Country by which time I had given up on them. When I eventually get into the attic I will be able to dig out lots of old flyers which have these gig details on them. Oh to be twenty again......

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

What I wouldn't give for a time machine.....[sigh]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here