Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cor! That's pretty cool actually.

It was pretty cool, until this popped up, and the mrs tutted dissapprovingly, and skipped it on...

IMG01051-20130904-0900.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It was pretty cool, until this popped up, and the mrs tutted dissapprovingly, and skipped it on...

View attachment 46751

I had pretty much the same problem in the car - despite the title, it is a lovely tuneful little song (admittedly about domestic violence), but my wife skipped it on when she heard the chorus. I was banking on her not hearing it properly. The kids were also complaining that they could hear swear words in other songs - where do they get this prudishness from??

Regarding the compilation, I really don't know where to start. Usually you get 80% filler and the odd great track and a few duffers, but I don't think there is a substandard track on here - it's consistently good, usually very good. However, due to my problems with naming the tracks, I can't say what my favourites are with any certainty. I like the Bodines-ish track 3 on disc 1, the luminous European-sounding track 13 on disc 1, track 19 on disc 1 (of course). I'm not yet familiar enough with the contents of the other 3 discs yet to single tracks out. Murray, you've done well. Very well.

I'm going to do a C86 rarities CD for Murray - happy to do copies for others too if they want it. I'll post a tracklisting up at some point - it's mainly flexi discs and hard-to-find debut releases. Anyone got any special requests??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to do a C86 rarities CD for Murray - happy to do copies for others too if they want it. I'll post a tracklisting up at some point - it's mainly flexi discs and hard-to-find debut releases. Anyone got any special requests??

Sounds marvellous.

As does THIS cat's miaow based job, which arrived in post today from Staly :clap2: :clap2: :bowdown:
IMG01052-20130904-1059.jpg

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Don't wanna go back through the thread as it will take too long, but has anyone mentioned The Siddeleys? I just sold their 'Sunshine Thuggery' 12" single on Discogs for £30. Now this was a great surprise as other girl lead-singer stuff from the period, The Parachute Men, Heart Throbs and Bollweevils are worth diddly squat.
So the question is, why The Siddeleys?

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Don't wanna go back through the thread as it will take too long, but has anyone mentioned The Siddeleys? I just sold their 'Sunshine Thuggery' 12" single on Discogs for £30. Now this was a great surprise as other girl lead-singer stuff from the period, The Parachute Men, Heart Throbs and Bollweevils are worth diddly squat.
So the question is, why The Siddeleys?

The Siddeleys were good, the others a bit bobbins? Leeds Station was a good song though.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The Siddeleys were good, the others a bit bobbins? Leeds Station was a good song though.

There must be more to it than that. Bit unfair on The Heart Throbs who were quite good. Actually, just checked out their Wikipedia page and it seems that in 2000 Sunshine Thuggery was re-released on a Japanese label. No surprise then that my copy was bought by someone from Japan.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
They were a bit AOR, the Heartthrobs. In my humble opinion like. The Siddeleys were a bit more classic jangly. The Japanese tend to go for that more?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
They were a bit AOR, the Heartthrobs. In my humble opinion like. The Siddeleys were a bit more classic jangly. The Japanese tend to go for that more?

The Siddeleys have been expensive for ages - combination of decent tunes/very few releases/limited editions always drives the price up and it becomes self-fulfilling after a while - people want the 7" and 12" singles because they're rare and expensive. I'll be putting Wherever You Go on my rarities CD. Heartthrobs were indeed a bit earnest and AOR, tiring to listen to.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
going to do a C86 rarities CD for Murray - happy to do copies for others too if they want it. I'll post a tracklisting up at some point - it's mainly flexi discs and hard-to-find debut releases. Anyone got any special requests??

I'm contemplating putting together a live C86 compilation for my own amusement - I've got quite a lot of bootleg live recordings from that era. Anyone interested in copies of that if I do it?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm contemplating putting together a live C86 compilation for my own amusement - I've got quite a lot of bootleg live recordings from that era. Anyone interested in copies of that if I do it?

I'm interested, IF the performance is any good - I quite like "shambling" on vinyl, but I can't be doing with it live...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm interested, IF the performance is any good - I quite like "shambling" on vinyl, but I can't be doing with it live...

Well yes, some bands should never have been allowed to play live (stand up The Pastels). I intend to confect a pleasurable listening experience however.

Flex Your Head

Incidentally, speaking of C86, this press-release might be of interest...

Damaged Goods are proud to present the Talulah Gosh retrospective. With recordings, radio sessions, archive photos and extensive liner notes by The Legend! (Everett True), Was It Just A Dream? celebrates DIY indie pop at its happiest.

Formed in Oxford in February 1986, with a name taken from an NME interview with Clare Grogan, Talulah Gosh married their love of Sixties girl groups, punk rock and the speediness of the Ramones, to jangly guitars, layers of backing vocals and a defiantly anti-macho stance. Adored and reviled in equal measure, the band were truly hated by many, and in a way the band even courted the antagonism.

The initial line-up featured Marigold (a.k.a. Amelia Fletcher) guitar/vocals, Pebbles (a.k.a. Elizabeth Price) violin/guitar/vocals/tambourine, with Mathew Fletcher on drums, Peter Momtchiloff on guitar (Razorcuts, Marine Research, Would-be-goods) and Rob Pursey on bass (Marine Research, Sportique, Tender Trap). Chris Scott took over bass player duties when Rob left, and Eithne Farry took over vocals and tambourine when Elizabeth decamped in December 1986.

One of Talulah Gosh’s earliest recordings was released as a flexi on Matt Haynes's Sha La La label for the influential Are You Scared to Get Happy? fanzine. Around that time, the band had signed to Edinburgh-based 53rd & 3rd label where they scored two UK Independent Top 5 singles with 'Steaming Train/Just A Dream' and 'Beatnik Boy/My Best Friend'. The band recorded two Radio One sessions (one for Peel, June '88, the other for Janice Long, May'86) which were collected on THEY'VE SCOFFED THE LOT (Sarah604).

The group split in early 1988. Amelia, Peter, Rob, and Mathew subsequently formed Heavenly, worldwide ambassadors of indie pop in the 1990s.

Elizabeth went on to win the 2012 Turner Prize, Peter is philosophy editor at Oxford University Press, Amelia is a Professor at the University of East Anglia, Eithne is books editor at Marie Claire and an author of low fi craft books, Rob is a TV producer, and Chris is travel counsellor. Mathew Fletcher died in 1996.

This collection features all known Talulah Gosh recordings including the first demo tape, which was originally sent to Stephen Pastel in a plasticine-covered cassette box. It secured the band their recording contract with 53rd and 3rd and was eventually made available for the first time as a very limited release 7" for Record Store Day in 2012. The album also includes a free extra download of one of the later Talulah Gosh gigs at the Old Fire Station in Oxford, with Eithne singing but notable for the fact that you can hear Elizabeth heckling in the background.

TG.jpg

Flex Your Head

Regarding the compilation, I really don't know where to start. Usually you get 80% filler and the odd great track and a few duffers, but I don't think there is a substandard track on here - it's consistently good, usually very good. However, due to my problems with naming the tracks, I can't say what my favourites are with any certainty. I like the Bodines-ish track 3 on disc 1, the luminous European-sounding track 13 on disc 1, track 19 on disc 1 (of course). I'm not yet familiar enough with the contents of the other 3 discs yet to single tracks out. Murray, you've done well. Very well.

Excellent. Genuinely chuffed to get such a good review, thanks.
I was playing one of the CDs (well, the iTunes playlists) on the train on my way home and was trying to work out how many of the bands were from the UK and how many from overseas. I shall have a proper look and report back, but Sweden is very well represented...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Excellent. Genuinely chuffed to get such a good review, thanks.
I was playing one of the CDs (well, the iTunes playlists) on the train on my way home and was trying to work out how many of the bands were from the UK and how many from overseas. I shall have a proper look and report back, but Sweden is very well represented...

Thank YOU, Murray - I'm sure you've spent a long time helping us out by making the CDs. I'll try to get on with my one for you...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have been listening to disc 2 in Murray's compilation and really enjoying the longer tracks. Had it on in the car and both my son and daughter spoke favourably of the music and were head nodding along. It was good to eventually hear the Claire Grogan track which happened to be the closing song. It did not disappoint. In fact as tiny has said- there are no filler songs here. Outstanding!

Flex Your Head

There are no filler songs here. Outstanding!
Thanks a lot - I might have that as my epitaph :D

I bought this (Joanna Gruesome - 'Weird Sister' LP) at the weekend and it looks and sounds beautiful; every home should have one.

J Gru LP.jpg

Might have to go and contribute to the Album of the Year thread, or whatever it's called.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here