Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could it be joining the "classic song under two minutes long" club? Members currently include Lazy Day (Boo Radleys), I'm In Love etc (Another Sunny Day), Smile Again (Tompot Blenny), Velocity Girl (yeah - we know), plus probably quite a few others.

Its certainly one of the better songs I've heard under ONE minute long!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Cool. Do they have a really short attention span? This song is FOURTY THREE SECONDS long.

They're quite a conscious attempt to sound like a Subway records band. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Some of them used to be in a band called Velodrome 2000 which some of you may have heard of.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They're quite a conscious attempt to sound like a Subway records band. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Some of them used to be in a band called Velodrome 2000 which some of you may have heard of.

Any band featuring what appears to be a kids' TV presenter, and Neil from The Young Ones, ,playing jangly guitars, is good enough for me!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Jet Boy Star Girl EP is somewhere in the loft. Can't remember it being an easy listen.

Flex Your Head

Any band featuring what appears to be a kids' TV presenter, and Neil from The Young Ones, ,playing jangly guitars, is good enough for me!
The chap with the long hair is Tonieee who, as well as being in Velodrome 2000 (who played a triumphant and fantastic one-off reuinion show at Indietracks last year - first time I'd seen them since a brilliant gig with The Blue Minkies down at some venue I can't remember the name of near Pool Valley) had a band called Hello, How Are You? Their song lengths make The Parallelograms' ones seem like epics!

Hello.JPG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The chap with the long hair is Tonieee who, as well as being in Velodrome 2000 (who played a triumphant and fantastic one-off reuinion show at Indietracks last year - first time I'd seen them since a brilliant gig with The Blue Minkies down at some venue I can't remember the name of near Pool Valley) had a band called Hello, How Are You? Their song lengths make The Parallelograms' ones seem like epics!

View attachment 46324

I typed "Hello, how are you?" into YouTube, and it offered me this song. I think it MIGHT not be the same artist (but I liked it anyway...)

Flex Your Head

Going to have to request a copy too. Lots of interesting looking stuff and cant wait to hear the Clare Grogan suicide track.
No problem; PM me your address and I should be able to get a set sent your way early next week - bit of a hectic schedule at the mo.

Flex Your Head

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester

I saw Velodrome's (I think) first gig with Milky Wimpshake at a pub in Sheffield. They were a shambles, in a good way.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I know it's obvious, but this should really, really be on here. This thread is incomplete without it.

Dinosaur Jr are playing here in a couple of weeks. But I'm not sure I can be bothered to go and see a bunch of old men reliving past glories.* Freak Scene was great at the time, but feels a bit dated to me now.

*Having said that, I was singing my heart out to Johnny Marr just a few days ago, and he was brilliant... And MBV are playing here the day before D Jr, and I'll definitely be having some of that...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Their singer (Velodrome's not J Mascis) whose name I can't remember was on "Name That Tune" once, fact fans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Moved onto CD 2 of Flex's stuff now.

Early standouts are;

4. Don't say you love me - Red Sleeping Beauty. Is this a St.Etienne tribute band!? Sounds very, very much like them.
27. Born on a train - The cat's miaow. My mrs loves this one.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Cat's Miaow were a very good band. Library Records did a good compilation of their singles a few years ago which is worth getting if you can still find it. They later turned into Hydroplane, who were also a very good band in a sort of shoegazey way...

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Ted Chippington was / is a Top Entertainer :) Not sure if we have met @FlexYourHead but Gordon is my brother, I misread you that he died at your wedding but pretty sure he is still alive !
The Loft played again just a few years ago that ramshackle of a pub where feet stick to floor behind arts college , over the hill and why does the rain great songs, saw TMLDrops around 85/86 great band and love McCarthy / Stereolab too
Good to hear some old names on here, just considering whether to go see what's left of my personal favourites the Chameleons in Berlin in November
p.s know Josh and Bennett, def not related !

sorry just realised only read first couple pages, only another 20 odd to go !

Flex Your Head

Moved onto CD 2 of Flex's stuff now.

Early standouts are;

4. Don't say you love me - Red Sleeping Beauty. Is this a St.Etienne tribute band!? Sounds very, very much like them.
27. Born on a train - The cat's miaow. My mrs loves this one.

Red Sleeping Beauty were a Swedish band who released some cracking stuff in the mid-90's. They were named after the McCarthy song but I don't believe they ever set out to deliberately sound like St Etienne though.

I could do with some more Cat's Miaow as I only have a handful of songs, but that's my favourite.

Flex Your Head

Ted Chippington was / is a Top Entertainer :) Not sure if we have met @FlexYourHead but Gordon is my brother, I misread you that he died at your wedding but pretty sure he is still alive !
The Loft played again just a few years ago that ramshackle of a pub where feet stick to floor behind arts college , over the hill and why does the rain great songs, saw TMLDrops around 85/86 great band and love McCarthy / Stereolab too
Good to hear some old names on here, just considering whether to go see what's left of my personal favourites the Chameleons in Berlin in November
p.s know Josh and Bennett, def not related !

sorry just realised only read first couple pages, only another 20 odd to go !

I did meet you a few times, yeah. I remember chatting with you and Gordon in Virgin in Western Rd where I worked at the time and being on 'nodding terms' with each other at gigs and down the Playroom.

I was never a big fan of the Mighty Lemon Drops (always seemed a tad dour and lacked that jangly goodness), but saw them a few times because they were playing with other bands I liked - The Bodines, MBV, Pop Will Eat Itself etc.

I really really loved The Chameleons though. I bought tickets to see them 3 times in Brighton, and every time they bloody cancelled. The one time they did play, I was up in Lancaster! I managed to see them at Middleton Town Hall in Manchester though, at a massive hometown gig - epic stuff!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although I don't think I've got Born On A Train. I assume it's a cover of the Magnetic Fields song?

Yes it is. It's very good. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more, but the only compilation CD on Amazon is £35!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here