Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's a top tune, pop pickers. The whole 'Secret of the Loveninjas' album is just a wonderful mix, veering from pure-pop, to Pulp-like anthems, to shoe-gaze beauty. Genuinely awesome and probably pick-upable for 4 or 5 quid on Ebay. One of the Top 10 albums of the last 10 years (in my chart anyway).

I notice too that there is a track called 'I'd run into oncoming traffic for Clare Grogan' by what looks like The Roadside Poppies.
I think that title just about sums up my own mental health and love affair for this particular singer in the eighties.

Flex Your Head

Thanks Murray! I think this is going to keep the thread going for another few months as we digest these songs. By my reckoning, I have the grand total of 5 of these songs already, so you will be broadening my horizons considerably. And BHA won yesterday as well. Things are looking good!

Hmmm, the 5... let me guess:

Tullycraft, The Radio Dept, 'Allo Darlin, The Pains OBPAH, and Shrag?

And yes, I'm hoping for an unbroken spell of 8 winning games now. It's great being an optimist!

Flex Your Head

I notice too that there is a track called 'I'd run into oncoming traffic for Clare Grogan' by what looks like The Roadside Poppies.
I think that title just about sums up my own mental health and love affair for this particular singer in the eighties.
Ahhh yes. The appearances on Top of the Pops were always great, but 'Gregory's Girl' taught me how to swoon.

*sigh*

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hmmm, the 5... let me guess:

Tullycraft, The Radio Dept, 'Allo Darlin, The Pains OBPAH, and Shrag?

And yes, I'm hoping for an unbroken spell of 8 winning games now. It's great being an optimist!

Not bad - you got 4 out of the 5. I have records by about 15 of those bands. I don't think I have that particular Tullycraft song, but I definitely have Kate by Sambassadeur. I think I will post a C86 influenced list of US and European pop classics at some point - the whole US 'twee' movement that evolved in the 90s has some fantastic songs...

Jul 20, 2003
slightly off topic BUT I honestly think this is the best song ever (just edging out 'Like A Rolling Stone')

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
slightly off topic BUT I honestly think this is the best song ever (just edging out 'Like A Rolling Stone')

Despite the fact that I started a "Best songs ever" thread a while back, my absolute favourite changes from minute to minute. At 13:13, it's probably ummmm...no, i'll have to come back to you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Despite the fact that I started a "Best songs ever" thread a while back, my absolute favourite changes from minute to minute. At 13:13, it's probably ummmm...no, i'll have to come back to you.

It's an impossible question to answer, as surely everyone has multiple favourites, depending on their mood at the time. I guess some have a definite song that MEANS the most to them, but that's not the same thing at all.

Candidates, for my 'f.e.s.' at one time or another, would include; Boys Don't Cry, My Favourite Dress, Sometimes (James), Tallulah Gosh, Freak Scene, English Rose (The Jam), I was born on Christmas Day (St.Etienne), Venus as a boy, This Corrosion (Sisters), The boy with a thorn in his side, Ten Story Love Song, and Jerusalem.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know it's obvious, but this should really, really be on here. This thread is incomplete without it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks Murray. The set of 4 CDs just arrived, at my office. Look forward to trying some of it out later. :clap2:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Any one else posting on this particular thread going to see The Weddoes at the weekend?
Would be good to put some faces to names.
Particularly looking forward to The Flatmates playing Sunday afternoon.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Any one else posting on this particular thread going to see The Weddoes at the weekend?

I would love to, but going on holiday on Saturday. Maybe next year, but I'd prefer to hear them play George Best - is it Watuzi's turn in 2014? ???

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I would love to, but going on holiday on Saturday. Maybe next year, but I'd prefer to hear them play George Best - is it Watuzi's turn in 2014? ???

Not sure but to be honest I am not a fan of bands playing albums in their entirety. Would much prefer a set of mixed stuff where you dont know whats coming up. Cant remember the last time I saw The Wedding Present do that but it was several years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Murray / Flex has chosen a novel way of sorting these 100 tracks - by length. As such , in 40 minutes at lunchtime, I've listened to 23 tracks on disc 1 - the shortest (and sweetest) ones.

Highlights so far are:

1. Orchard Square - the Parallelograms
4. Stardust - Irene
11. Kick his balls out - Free Loan Investments
12. I'm still not as happy as I would have been with you - The Happy Birthdays
15. Siq - Electrophonvintage
21. Who thought - Proper Ornaments

Great stuff.

Jul 20, 2003

Should be there Sunday. Bloody colleagues are messing my shifts up

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Murray / Flex has chosen a novel way of sorting these 100 tracks - by length. As such , in 40 minutes at lunchtime, I've listened to 23 tracks on disc 1 - the shortest (and sweetest) ones.

Highlights so far are:

1. Orchard Square - the Parallelograms
4. Stardust - Irene
11. Kick his balls out - Free Loan Investments
12. I'm still not as happy as I would have been with you - The Happy Birthdays
15. Siq - Electrophonvintage
21. Who thought - Proper Ornaments

Great stuff.

Now, to be honest, some of those sound quite rubbish (going by title/band name alone). I would never think of downloading a track called Kick His Balls Out by Free Loan Investments as I would imagine it to be a shouty 1978 Oi throwback of little or no interest. Similarly, I'd have Siq by Electrophonvintage down as ambient "found sound" nonsense with a tune so diluted as to be indiscernible. However, I'm Still Not As Happy As I Would Have Been With You by The Happy Birthdays is clearly a cute, jangly indie classic - you don't even have to hear it. I'm intrigued. Unfortunately, my wife says the postie has delivered nothing today. Grrrrrr.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, I'm Still Not As Happy As I Would Have Been With You by The Happy Birthdays is clearly a cute, jangly indie classic - you don't even have to hear it. .

Exactly that. It sounds like a Brilliant Corners song title, maybe an obvious B-side to 'Why do you have to go out with him?', and the band name fits the band pretty well.

I know the Parallelograms. They used to be a Rosehips tribute band, and it still shows....

Cool. Do they have a really short attention span? This song is FOURTY THREE SECONDS long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here