Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I love your first song. Number two I haven't listened to for years - I remember it being quite gentle. Number 3 is clearly a classic. Don't know number 4. Number 5 I have, but couldn't hum - is it on Fierce? Not sure I know Jade. The last two I listened to two nights ago - solid gold.

I'd love to see the complete indifference with which the crowd at the Amex would greet our C86 disco whilst we hummed along in a slightly embarrassed way. Make it happen!

Summershine's on a Sha La La flexi with The Orchids. How I learned To Love The Bomb has the best bass line ever.

I'm not a Brighton fan, I'm afraid. I lurk on here because my dad is and he likes to talk about all the Albion developments so I try to keep up to date. So I've never been to the Amex to judge.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
My a few years in the late 80s/early 90s I went on a search for the perfect 2-3 minute pop song. Velocity Girl by Primal Scream was the winner for me, though obviously it is slightly under 2 mins. I know I've forgotten a million other songs and bands, but this lot are always in my playlists!

Velocity Girl - Primal Scream
Surfin' Into Your Heart - The Groove Farm
Village Green - The Clouds
Anybody Anyway - Even As We Speak
Heads Gone Astray - The Soup Dragons
She Just Looks Right Through Me - The Waltones
Alison Wait - The Chesterfields
My Favourite Dress (album version!) - The Wedding Present
Cool Guitar Boy - Heavenly
Someone You Love - The Popguns

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Some great choices of tracks on here.

Going for the following for my C86 inspired selection. Mostly predictable but what I consider to be the best from this era:

Disneyland-The June Brides
On Tape- The Pooh Sticks
I Dont Want To Be Friends With You- The Shop Assistants
Up The Hill And Down The Slope- The Loft
Truck,Train,Tractor- The Pastels
Why Does The Rain?- The Weather Prophets
Dukla Prague- Half Man Half Biscuit
Felicity(Orange Juice) Covered by The Wedding Present
Therese- The Bodines
Buffalo- Stump
Should The Bible Be Banned- McCarthy.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Some great choices of tracks on here.

Going for the following for my C86 inspired selection. Mostly predictable but what I consider to be the best from this era:

Disneyland-The June Brides
On Tape- The Pooh Sticks
I Dont Want To Be Friends With You- The Shop Assistants
Up The Hill And Down The Slope- The Loft
Truck,Train,Tractor- The Pastels
Why Does The Rain?- The Weather Prophets
Dukla Prague- Half Man Half Biscuit
Felicity(Orange Juice) Covered by The Wedding Present
Therese- The Bodines
Buffalo- Stump
Should The Bible Be Banned- McCarthy.

Obviously you had to have a HMHB song! I forgot about The Bodines - Therese is indeed a great song. By the way, I remember going to Bristol City away in 91/2(?) season and there was a fella in our end wearing a Sarah Records t-shirt - I chatted to him briefly and he said he thought he'd wear it as it was a Bristol based label and so the locals may think he was one of them and he'd get home safely. Was that anyone on here?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not me! Try Pevenseagull- based on his Avatar.
As for The Bodines. They were a great band who like many others around this time only managed the one album. Saw them play at Sallis Benny Hall and could not hear for about a week after. Mainly due to me standing far to near the speakers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Obviously you had to have a HMHB song! I forgot about The Bodines - Therese is indeed a great song. By the way, I remember going to Bristol City away in 91/2(?) season and there was a fella in our end wearing a Sarah Records t-shirt - I chatted to him briefly and he said he thought he'd wear it as it was a Bristol based label and so the locals may think he was one of them and he'd get home safely. Was that anyone on here?

Bodines in my list too. 'Heard it all now'. Gentle but terrific.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I love Therese perhaps more now than I did in 1986. Just played it and A Prophecy by the Close Lobsters. Loudly. Now feel slightly old, but contented after a good, but slightly ropey singalong - have to lapse into falsetto with the former and tricky harmonies on the latter. Will post about "Caught by the river" website tomorrow - any fans out there?

Jul 20, 2003

Not me! Try Pevenseagull- based on his Avatar.
As for The Bodines. They were a great band who like many others around this time only managed the one album. Saw them play at Sallis Benny Hall and could not hear for about a week after. Mainly due to me standing far to near the speakers.

:thumbsup: rings a bell ........... but I was under the influence of cider ................. and have remained so

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having arrived late on this playlist business I've had 'Jade' nicked by Staly and 'Briar Rose' and 'Sensitive' by Albumen, I'll go with:

Once More – The Wedding Present
Never Understand – J&MC
Convenience – Bob
Completely and Utterly – The Chesterfields
Happy Sad – Rodney Allen
Hip Hip – Hurrah
Big Decision – That Petrol Emotion
Really Stupid – The Primitives
Special One –Ultra Vivid Scene & Kim Deal
Birthday Girl - Microdisney
Out Of My Mind - Backdoor Men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxusX7hiwj4 (Swedish garage band from the eighties, but sound like they should be on 'Nuggets')

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having arrived late on this playlist business I've had 'Jade' nicked by Staly and 'Briar Rose' and 'Sensitive' by Albumen, I'll go with:

Once More – The Wedding Present
Never Understand – J&MC
Convenience – Bob
Completely and Utterly – The Chesterfields
Happy Sad – Rodney Allen
Hip Hip – Hurrah
Big Decision – That Petrol Emotion
Really Stupid – The Primitives
Birthday Girl - Microdisney
Out Of My Mind - Backdoor Men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxusX7hiwj4 (Swedish garage band from the eighties, but sound like they should be on 'Nuggets')

I'd forgotten Microdosney altogether. Could never decide if I liked them or not. I had VIva Dead Ponies, by Cathal Coughlan's other band Fatima Mansions. Not really sure I liked that either!

I like your Swedish link very much. Not sure why he's trying to sound like Jagger though!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I quite like some Microdisney and I enjoy telling my South African colleagues at work the title of one of their early albums (their first?). I had a quick listen to Briar Rose this morning as I'd forgotten what it was like and it's on my Whole Wide World compilation on Subway. The singer has an idiosyncratic voice (not as much as the Raw Herbs man) but it's a cracking tune. Don't know much about Choo Choo Train.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Nice one - one of the many tracks I put on my college jukebox to the bemusement of my fellow students but for my own personal selfish satisfaction. Who took the now valuable Sarah records after I'd left, I wonder?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Having arrived late on this playlist business I've had 'Jade' nicked by Staly

It really is their best song, isn't it? Don't think I realised this important fact until quite recently.

Like your choice of Hip Hip. I should've put some Hurrah! on mine but I was going for fuzzy power to get the kids going.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
One of my favourite websites is this one: http://www.caughtbytheriver.net/ It covers a range of topics, from music to water to real ale, nature in general. It seems to be staffed by people who worked in the music industry in the 1980s and 90s - actually their description is better than mine: Caught by The River, the online haven for music, nature, rambling, gardening, poetry, film, art and angling. The June Brides played at their Port Eliot festival last year. The fanzine is good - I would especially recommend issues 3 (music) and 4 (South Coast special, including lots of stuff about Brighton). If you enjoy the tranquil things in life alongside the music, you might find some of their stuff and books an interesting read.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Interesting - I like the Springfields a lot (think I have four singles by them). I gave a friend of mine a test pressing of Sunflower as a wedding present (yep - me and my friends are THAT crazy). I also have an album by Velvet Crush that I have literally never played - still in shrink wrap. I really ought to get on top of these things. Maybe when I retire to my cosy Brighton cottage.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Happy Sad – Rodney Allen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxusX7hiwj4 (Swedish garage band from the eighties, but sound like they should be on 'Nuggets')

Rodney Allen!! Come on, his best has to be 'Circle Line' - "round and round on the Circle Line, just like this dodgy life of mine, no real money and no career, the future to me seems so unclear, I could join the army and drive a tank, or whistle at girls from the safety of scaffold planks". Poetry. Simply poetry. The West Country's answer to Billy Bragg or Shelley (!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here