Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We were in Jersey last week. Noticed from the posters around the place that Dinosaur jr are playing the Jersey Festival in 2 weeks time. Should have timed it better!

Never got round to see them live but sure they would be pretty decent especially as part of a festival. They often play at the Concorde but always seems to clash with something.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I had a dream last night that I'm blaming on this thread: I was watching a film about the Veronica Falls football team, a mixed sex team playing attractive tika taka football to packed stadiums to an indie pop soundtrack. I've not listened to much VF, although I like Teenager a lot. Does anyone recommend them?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
If it helps, I use to do a very good Dinosaur Jr impression, "freeek zine and I wohnt kill yer, when I neeed a frend itz still yer..". Mmmh, it's not so good anymore.

After reading this thread yesterday I listened to 'Kettle' by The Chesterfields.....yep, I still love them.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If it helps, I use to do a very good Dinosaur Jr impression, "freeek zine and I wohnt kill yer, when I neeed a frend itz still yer..". Mmmh, it's not so good anymore.

After reading this thread yesterday I listened to 'Kettle' by The Chesterfields.....yep, I still love them.

Needs a bit of work, that impression. Not bad though. I listened to What's Your Perversion and decided I preferred Ask Johnny Dee. Obvious, I know.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Needs a bit of work, that impression. Not bad though. I listened to What's Your Perversion and decided I preferred Ask Johnny Dee. Obvious, I know.

There really is nothing wrong with admitting to liking the 'obvious' ones best. They are the best know tracks for a reason!

If Nick Osbourne, the chap who does the pre-match music at the Amex, gave you a 30 minute indie-pop slot, one match, would you play obscure Sarah B-sides, or a set of indie CLASSICS? Mine might look something like this:

Ask Johnny Dee - Chesterfields
Delilah Sands - Brilliant Corners
Sunday to Saturday - June Brides
Heard it all now - The Bodines
My Favourite Dress - Weddoes
Head full of steam - The Go-Betweens
Primitive Painters - Felt
Pristine Christine - Sea Urchins
Destroy the Heart - House of Love
Freak Scene - Dinosaur jr
Why do you have to go out with him - Brilliant Corners
Just the Same - June Brides

(Might be struggling with the 30 minute limit)

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If Nick Osbourne, the chap who does the pre-match music at the Amex, gave you a 30 minute indie-pop slot, one match, would you play obscure Sarah B-sides, or a set of indie CLASSICS?

That's tricky - do I play songs I like the best, or do I play songs that I think others might like? If I was doing a C86-inspired list, it would include:

Velocity Girl - Primal Scream (only 1:22 long - easy to squeeze in)
Rain of Crystal Spires - Felt
Vibrato - East Village
Once More - The Wedding Present
Stop Killing Me - The Primitives
Anti-Midas Touch - The Wolfhounds
Therese - The Bodines
Hang Ten! - The Soupdragons
Talulah Gosh - Talulah Gosh

The kids would be in a state of frenzy as the teams came out. After the match, if we won, I would unleash Freak Scene; if we drew, it would be Cattle and Cane; if we lost, it would be I Know It's Over. We should suggest to Paul Barber that fans are allowed to get songs played before the match - for a suitable fee, of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's tricky - do I play songs I like the best, or do I play songs that I think others might like? If I was doing a C86-inspired list, it would include:

Velocity Girl - Primal Scream (only 1:22 long - easy to squeeze in)
Rain of Crystal Spires - Felt
Vibrato - East Village
Once More - The Wedding Present
Stop Killing Me - The Primitives
Anti-Midas Touch - The Wolfhounds
Therese - The Bodines
Hang Ten! - The Soupdragons
Talulah Gosh - Talulah Gosh

The kids would be in a state of frenzy as the teams came out. After the match, if we won, I would unleash Freak Scene; if we drew, it would be Cattle and Cane; if we lost, it would be I Know It's Over. We should suggest to Paul Barber that fans are allowed to get songs played before the match - for a suitable fee, of course.

Bugger. I'll need to incorporate Tallulah Gosh into mine. Definitely lacking a bit of female vocal (bar Liz Fraser (?) on the Felt one).

I couldn't use 'I know its over' as all my beloved Smiths stuff would be reserved for a completely different set, on another day, probably teamed with some Roses and a couple of tracks from Darklands.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Bugger. I'll need to incorporate Tallulah Gosh into mine. Definitely lacking a bit of female vocal (bar Liz Fraser (?) on the Felt one).

I couldn't use 'I know its over' as all my beloved Smiths stuff would be reserved for a completely different set, on another day, probably teamed with some Roses and a couple of tracks from Darklands.

I may come back later with a 1988-1992 set, to give Nick a bit of variety.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I may come back later with a 1988-1992 set, to give Nick a bit of variety.

My lists will be called 'Indie-pop (the C86 based one above)', and 'Indie classic's (Smiths, Cure, Roses, J&M Chain'.

My THIRD list will be a an ECLECTIC one, which I shall call 'Oddments';

Fantastic Day - Haircut 100
Reward - Julian Cope
Hit - Sugarcubes
Midnight on the murder mile - Carter USM
Echo Beach - Martha and the Muffins
This Corrosion - Sisters of Mercy
English Rose - Jam
Sometimes - James
Jim's Room - Brilliant Corners
Here's where the story ends - The Sundays

In fact, in hindsight, rather than presenting the odd playlist to them, us lot should, collectively, just be given the gig permanently. :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I think I will work on this 30min set later - if you're going for the classics then surely it has to be Brian Rix by The Brilliant Corners!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think I will work on this 30min set later - if you're going for the classics then surely it has to be Brian Rix by The Brilliant Corners!!

You think?

I was torn between Delilah Sands and Teenage.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The 'Shoegaze Scorcher':

You Made Me Realise - My Bloody Valentine
Pearl - Chapterhouse
Suzanne - Moose
She Calls - Slowdive
Heaven Sent An Angel - Revolver
Teen Angst - M83
Like A Daydream - Ride

Could reduce us to a state of torpor.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You think?

I was torn between Delilah Sands and Teenage.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer 'Brian Rix' to those you named, it's probably the most well know Corners track. Also, it would confuse footie fans, "why they singing a song about an ex-Arsenal player?".

"A girl called Property" is probably my fave track of theirs.

On a Groove Farm aside, I remember once listening to one of their brilliant 12"s (Surfin' Into Your Heart') really loudly at home. The phone rang, but the music was so loud I couldn't hear who it was, I turned it down and there on the other end of the line was Andrew Groove (don't know his surname), asking for a gig in Tun Wells. This 'anecdote' and many more will feature in my, as yet untitled, book about vaguely knowing people who are not famous, but were in indie bands in the 80s and 90s. At the Rumble Club I once leant Amelia a pen to write a set-list, I then had to go and ask for it back, as it was the only one we had. SWOON.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"A girl called Property" is probably my fave track of theirs.

That entire Growing Up Absurd record is superb. Absolutely one of my favourite records of all time.

When I found my last few remaining old vinyl in the garage last month (I haven't had a record player in years), that was the one that I was most excited to be re-united with. Even though I can't actually play it...

I even love the artwork. Marvellous.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Now, I'm not saying I prefer 'Brian Rix' to those you named, it's probably the most well know Corners track. Also, it would confuse footie fans, "why they singing a song about an ex-Arsenal player?".

It's a valid point. Has Brian Rix ever really pulled down his trousers in a Ray Cooney-style farce? I've often wondered...

This 'anecdote' and many more will feature in my, as yet untitled, book about vaguely knowing people who are not famous, but were in indie bands in the 80s and 90s.

I remember a really annoying band called Fabulous who really weren't and they went down very badly. Did you console them afterwards?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
My Bloody Valentine - Paint A Rainbow
Biff Bang Pow! - Love's Going Out Of Fashion
Felt - Ballad Of The Band
T V Personalities - How I Learned To Love The Bomb
Sea Urchins - Summershine
Razorcuts - Jade
FizzBombs - Sign On The Line
Shop Assistants - Safety Net

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Razorcuts - Jade

Nice. Your inclusion of the Razorcuts reminds me, that I really need to squeeze in 'Sorry to embarrass you'. I'm going to need an hour.

As an aside, does anyone have anything by The Carousel, that Gregory Webster formed with Liz from Tallulah Gosh? I don't think I know them at all, but its a decent pedigree, isn't it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I really need to squeeze in 'Sorry to embarrass you'.

Good call.

As an aside, does anyone have anything by The Carousel, that Gregory Webster formed with Liz from Tallulah Gosh? I don't think I know them at all, but its a decent pedigree, isn't it.

I think I may have one song, but I'd have to go home and look. I've definitely got a video of them performing "Strawberry Fayre" on my "Carry on Disarming" CND video.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Razorcuts - Jade

I love your first song. Number two I haven't listened to for years - I remember it being quite gentle. Number 3 is clearly a classic. Don't know number 4. Number 5 I have, but couldn't hum - is it on Fierce? Not sure I know Jade. The last two I listened to two nights ago - solid gold.

I'd love to see the complete indifference with which the crowd at the Amex would greet our C86 disco whilst we hummed along in a slightly embarrassed way. Make it happen!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here