Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'd still defend The Proclaimers. They supported the Housemartins at The Suite in about 1986 and we had no idea who these two strange blokes were, one guitar and two voices, but they made a hell of a noise. We went back to see them later in the year when they played at the Escape and they were fantastic. They have been stuck with the 'funny scots' label, but the first album is political, angry and has football references before it was fashionable for bands to like football.

Last edited:

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Coincidently, looking through a box last night, I came across a tape called 'Rewind' which I bought at some eighties gig in Brighton for a quid. Its kind of a tape version of a flexi, home made (I think by someone called Rick & Ross with an address in Old Shoreham Road). Features, amongst others, Mighty Mighty, Ever, John Dowie, The Long Tall Texans and has 'Sound as a Pound' typed on the cassette sticker. Anyone else got any of these or any background knowledge?

I had it but chucked it years ago. I think one or two of the tracks had been recorded from the radio & when the same lad tried to sell me Rewind #2 in the Escape one night I took the piss out of him.
Wish I hadn't been so rude now, the poor lad was only sharing the music he enjoyed & what do you want for £1?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I've got a copy of Pristine Christine by The Sea Urchins and it's currently on sale on ebay with only one day left. Thanks indie kids for this thread allowing me to shamelessly plug it. I also own a huge amount of stuff by The Popguns, The Weddoes, The Groove farm, Flatmates, Field Mice, Heavenly, etc etc.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've got a copy of Pristine Christine by The Sea Urchins and it's currently on sale on ebay with only one day left. Thanks indie kids for this thread allowing me to shamelessly plug it. I also own a huge amount of stuff by The Popguns, The Weddoes, The Groove farm, Flatmates, Field Mice, Heavenly, etc etc.

£175 with a day to go!! Blimey, wish I'd bought several copies instead of just the one. Dave, I met you three or four times at the Rumble Club, plus, bizarrely - don't expect you to have read all of this thread - I namechecked you as being present at The Charlottes gig in Brighton. We seem to have located about 80% of the attendees on this thread. We have some mutual friends. Do you have any qualms about selling the family silver, or is this a spare copy? How many times did The Groove Farm play at The Rumble? Staly will be foaming at the mouth!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
£175 with a day to go!! Blimey, wish I'd bought several copies instead of just the one. Dave, I met you three or four times at the Rumble Club, plus, bizarrely - don't expect you to have read all of this thread - I namechecked you as being present at The Charlottes gig in Brighton. We seem to have located about 80% of the attendees on this thread. We have some mutual friends. Do you have any qualms about selling the family silver, or is this a spare copy? How many times did The Groove Farm play at The Rumble? Staly will be foaming at the mouth!

Tinycowboy, I absolutely hate myself for selling my old vinyl. It is not what Sarah Records was set up for and I feel a great big sell-out for doing it! And yes, it is my only copy, though I have another 70+ Sarah singles, 10"s and albums. That said, I'm trying to pay for a teaching course and being constantly skint, thanks to living a music dream (nightmare) since I was 18, it's all I've got! I've also sold a fair bit on Discogs - including, only yesterday, a Big Pop Trotsky 12" to Japan. Remember them! I'll have to read through the whole thread. I think The Groove Farm only played the once, though their next incarnation, The Beatnik Filmstars, also played. The Rumble Club! Now that was done in the true indie spirit; The Brilliant Corners, Raw Herbs, Flatmates, Corn Dollies, Jasmine Minks, Lush and the wonderful Chesterfields - RIP Davey Chesterfield. We were once offered The Stone Roses, way before Elephant Stone came out, unfortunately we didn't have a venue at the time. The rest is, as they say, history.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I utterly adored The Brilliant Corners, back in the day. They were the first real band* I ever saw live, in a little basement club on the Steine (something to do with Brighton Uni, I think).

*The Kids from FAME, at the Brighton Centre doesn't really count :blush:

I was at that show! The Brilliant Corners, not the Kids from Fame. As a result of this show we put them on in Tunbridge Wells and The Rumble Club was born and thus The Forum.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was at that show! The Brilliant Corners, not the Kids from Fame. As a result of this show we put them on in Tunbridge Wells and The Rumble Club was born and thus The Forum.

You picked wisely. The Fame one wasn't all that, tbh...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I think The Groove Farm only played the once, though their next incarnation, The Beatnik Filmstars, also played.

Really, I thought they played every other week? Must be getting them confused with I Love Danny's Hair

The Rumble Club! Now that was done in the true indie spirit; The Brilliant Corners, Raw Herbs, Flatmates, Corn Dollies, Jasmine Minks, Lush and the wonderful Chesterfields - RIP Davey Chesterfield. We were once offered The Stone Roses, way before Elephant Stone came out, unfortunately we didn't have a venue at the time. The rest is, as they say, history.

I remember The Flatmates/Brilliant Corners at Grosvenor Rec (?), Corn Dollies/Lush (Hand and Sceptre?), BPT (at the BT social club, I think, amongst other places). Great times. Even got The Weddoes at The Forum once. Friday nights were certainly music nights, with Ian as MC in his downbeat but drily humorous way. BPT appeared surprisingly rarely, given Jason's position as co-founder. He seems to run half the High Street now - are you involved with all that and The Forum still? I met my wife at The Rumble, so thank you! You'd recognise her name.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Really, I thought they played every other week? Must be getting them confused with I Love Danny's Hair
I remember The Flatmates/Brilliant Corners at Grosvenor Rec (?), Corn Dollies/Lush (Hand and Sceptre?), BPT (at the BT social club, I think, amongst other places). Great times. Even got The Weddoes at The Forum once. Friday nights were certainly music nights, with Ian as MC in his downbeat but drily humorous way. BPT appeared surprisingly rarely, given Jason's position as co-founder. He seems to run half the High Street now - are you involved with all that and The Forum still? I met my wife at The Rumble, so thank you! You'd recognise her name.

I'm intrigued. What's your wife's name then? Though the memory is a little faded these days - you know what they say, those who remember indie pop were probably there.
The Corn Dollies did play The Sceptre but they also played Grosvenor Rec. Yes, I am still involved with stuff at the southern end of town, though I did finally quit The Forum in Jan of this year after 20yrs. Big Pop Trotsky became Joeyfat, of course, and they continue to play - indeed they played The Forum only last night.
As for The Charlottes gig at the Richmond, of the 10 or so people there, I assume that 3 of them had come with me, did you?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm intrigued. What's your wife's name then? Though the memory is a little faded these days - you know what they say, those who remember indie pop were probably there.
The Corn Dollies did play The Sceptre but they also played Grosvenor Rec. Yes, I am still involved with stuff at the southern end of town, though I did finally quit The Forum in Jan of this year after 20yrs. Big Pop Trotsky became Joeyfat, of course, and they continue to play - indeed they played The Forum only last night.
As for The Charlottes gig at the Richmond, of the 10 or so people there, I assume that 3 of them had come with me, did you?

I'll PM you - don't want to bore users of this thread with golden memories of how I met my wife any more than I already have done. Regarding the Charlottes, I brought three others with me, plus Flex Your Head was there, as was Simon Swagbag. You were there - plus two? Was HKFC, sorry, Lighthouse there? I think that covers the whole audience. It was a cold, dark night.

Flex Your Head

I'll PM you - don't want to bore users of this thread with golden memories of how I met my wife any more than I already have done. Regarding the Charlottes, I brought three others with me, plus Flex Your Head was there, as was Simon Swagbag. You were there - plus two? Was HKFC, sorry, Lighthouse there? I think that covers the whole audience. It was a cold, dark night.
Don't forget Jem Stone, the promoter.

(I'm Murray by the way, but I don't mind being known as *ahem* Sexy Flexy or anything else.)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Don't forget Jem Stone, the promoter.

(I'm Murray by the way, but I don't mind being known as *ahem* Sexy Flexy or anything else.)

Good point Sexy Flexy, uhh, Murray - Jem was the promoter, presumably he attended. This is turning into one of those "I was there" moments, but with little or no glamour and kudos attached.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Staly will be foaming at the mouth!

You've got me down as some sort of trainspotter type haven't you? I'm not, really, I've got a life too. I've sold plenty of records in my time, especially when food was short.

The discussion about cassettes is interesting, as I'm going through a big box of old tapes at the moment digitising those that are worth keeping. The Mrs wants them out of the house.... I seem to have accumulated an unnecessary number of 1000 Violins bootlegs from somewhere - ho hum.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Listened to this three times now, and it is genuinnely really good. If you like the June Brides, then you cannot fail to enjoy this album. In fact, it has such a familiar feel to it, that there are songs that I felt I already 'knew' even on the first listen. Thanks for the heads up Staly.

:thumbsup: glad you like it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You've got me down as some sort of trainspotter type haven't you? I'm not, really, I've got a life too.

Staly, I've got you down as a Groove Farm fan, nothing more sinister than that. If I called anyone a train spotter, they'd probably tell me to take a good look in the mirror!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Literally just returned from holiday in remote part of Sardinia where I had no Internet access whatsoever. Delighted to see that this particular thread is running strong- once I have got my head back together and had a good read of the last few pages and a decent nights sleep hope to make some useful contribution.

Thankyou hans for Phil Wilson review. Will have a proper look at that. Looking forward to The Wedding Present after the Burnley match in a couple of weekends. Did anyone get to watch the Nightingales the other evening at The Albert?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Literally just returned from holiday in remote part of Sardinia where I had no Internet access whatsoever. Delighted to see that this particular thread is running strong- once I have got my head back together and had a good read of the last few pages and a decent nights sleep hope to make some useful contribution.

Thankyou hans for Phil Wilson review. Will have a proper look at that. Looking forward to The Wedding Present after the Burnley match in a couple of weekends. Did anyone get to watch the Nightingales the other evening at The Albert?

We were in Jersey last week. Noticed from the posters around the place that Dinosaur jr are playing the Jersey Festival in 2 weeks time. Should have timed it better!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here