Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
It can't be as good as the godawful House of Love Butterfly album though, because that's the best indie album ever you know:facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I fell for one of Amazon's "As you bought that, you might also like to buy this" e-mails, this week. Should arrive tomorrow.

Any good?

rt09.png

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I fell for one of Amazon's "As you bought that, you might also like to buy this" e-mails, this week. Should arrive tomorrow.

Any good?

View attachment 46781

I love You! Me! Dancing! by! Los! Campesinos! If John Peel had still been alive, it would have been number 1 in the Festive 50. I also love Shrag, but it's not one of my favourites of theirs. Same goes for Love Is All. However, there is quite a lot I've never heard - let us know if there are any pearls in there. I meant to start posting my Indie Rarities today, but got sidetracked - maybe tomorrow lunchtime I'll try to get from All Over The Place to My Bloody Valentine...

Flex Your Head

Any good?

View attachment 46781
I haven't got that. My other half tried ordering it for me as a gift when it came out, but everytime she received an Out of Stock email back. How much are they charging for it nowadays? I could be tempted as it's got some corkers on it and not too much filler.

Flex Your Head

I've got it. It's pretty good. A few duffers but quite a few classics - Tullycraft, Pocketbooks etc.

Pocketbooks are mates of mine - they'll be chuffed to be referred to as classic! They've broken up now, sadly, but they're all in loads of other bands - The Fireworks, Cosines, Understudies, various versions of The Loves and their one-offs, Electrophonvintage... I think at one time Johnny the drummer was in 5 different bands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I haven't got that. My other half tried ordering it for me as a gift when it came out, but everytime she received an Out of Stock email back. How much are they charging for it nowadays? I could be tempted as it's got some corkers on it and not too much filler.

I bought it 'used, as new' for £3.09. They had a new one for £6.50.

I love Amazon. It's bloody brilliant.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dear me, is this really the spirit of Sarah Records?? ???

ha. (yes)

Seriously, it really is a fantastic resource. You can find anything, and have it delivered, usually free, in a couple of days. The ordering is SO easy though, it is a bit dangerous.

I need to stop buying CDs for a little while, as I find if I get too many new ones at once, some never really get a look in, and its a bit of a waste. Plus I've got all the good stuff from you and Murray and Staly to get to know, too.

Having said all that, that Tallulah Gosh retrospective looks interesting...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Yes indeed. I was more than a tad gutted that due to DJing duties and them playing the church stage (capacity approx 120 max), I missed the entire set. Pam Berry from Black Tambourine (and many other fine bands) sung on some of the songs.

Curses!

Sorry if this has come up already on the thread, but Pam Berry has been touring and recording with Edinburgh's Dan Willson (Withered Hand) over the past year or so, and features on his forthcoming second album. I've met her at a few of their joint shows and she's thoroughly lovely as well as brilliant.

Quite a few live examples up on YouTube, here's one of them.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Having said all that, that Tallulah Gosh retrospective looks interesting...

I could do you a copy of Backwash, save you the money. This forum is becoming a bit like C86-mart. Made my wife somehow sad last night by playing Skanking Queens - she sighed that she used to love this song, it was all so long ago and now she feels old. She needs to join a decent forum that offers help by confronting the need to enjoy and embrace the C86 - I'll play some more tonight.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I love You! Me! Dancing! by! Los! Campesinos! If John Peel had still been alive, it would have been number 1 in the Festive 50. I also love Shrag, but it's not one of my favourites of theirs. Same goes for Love Is All. However, there is quite a lot I've never heard - let us know if there are any pearls in there. I meant to start posting my Indie Rarities today, but got sidetracked - maybe tomorrow lunchtime I'll try to get from All Over The Place to My Bloody Valentine...

They made number one in Dandelion Radio's festive fifty for 2009. Different song though! This is a great site for all things Peel with programs changing monthly. Link here- http://www.dandelionradio.com/2009festive50.htm

Flex Your Head

Sorry if this has come up already on the thread, but Pam Berry has been touring and recording with Edinburgh's Dan Willson (Withered Hand) over the past year or so, and features on his forthcoming second album. I've met her at a few of their joint shows and she's thoroughly lovely as well as brilliant.

Quite a few live examples up on YouTube, here's one of them.
I love Withered Hand and was going to include 'Religious Songs' on the CD set I put together, but thought it was a tad too 'folky' to really fit the bill. Truly wonderful song though.

I saw Pam Berry's The Pines a coupla years back and they were soooo dull, but funnily enough I saw a bright young band at the weekend called The Black Tambourines and they were flippin' ace.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sorry everyone - this is going to be a lengthy post. Here are some C86 rarities. Please PM me if you want any of these - happy for people to pick stuff out and for me to do bespoke CDs (as I don't anticipate having to do more than 3 or 4 at the most). I have excluded anything on Sarah from the list - but I have just about everything on the label, so I can add the b-sides to Sarah 1 (for example) if anyone wants them. I may consider photocopying Saropoly if anyone is desperate for a dullish game.

I will edit the post some time to give more data about where the tracks are from - if you're as exciting as me, this may be of interest to you!

All Over The Place - Strange (Becket House compilation 1990)
Amelia Fletcher - Can you keep a secret? (very bad joke(?) Yazz-like dance song on Fierce 1991)
Aztec Camera - Just like gold (2nd single, Postcard 1981)
Aztec Camera - Mattress of wire (debut single, Postcard 1981)
Baby Lemonade - Jiffy neckwear creation (Sha La La Flexis ‎– Ba Ba Ba-Ba Ba 003 1987)
Bachelor Pad - Girl of your dreams (Sha La La Flexis ‎– Ba Ba Ba-Ba Ba 003 1987)
Bachelor Pad - The Albums of Jack (their debut single(?) on Warhola sound 1987)
Biff Bang Pow! - 50 years of fun (debut single, Creation 003 1984)
BMX Bandits - The day before tomorrow (2nd single, 53rd and 3rd 1986)
Bodines - God bless (debut single, Creation 016 1985)
Bogshed - Let them eat Bogshed (debut single, Vinyl Drip 1985)
Brighter - Next summer (flexi on Sturm and Drang 1990)
Buba and the Shop Assistants - Something to do (legendary 1984 single on Villa21)
Choo Choo Train - Many happy returns (Woosh ‎– WOOSH 010 - flexi, 1989)
The Claim - Birth of a teenager (CAFF 8, 1990)
The Clean - Live dead clean (Flying Nun 1986)
Clouds - Jenny Nowhere (Sha La La Flexis ‎– ba ba ba-ba ba 001 1987)
Corn Dollies - Be small again (debut, 1987)
Crocodile Ride - Ex-hipster (Surfacer ‎– Surfacer 002, 1987?)
East Village - Circles (Heavenly 1990)
Emily - The old stone bridge (Sha La La Flexis ‎– ba ba ba-ba ba 007, 1987)
Esmerelda's Kite - Vampire girl (flexi, Woosh ‎– Woosh 006 1989)
Eye Pilgrims - Wall of sand (Woosh ‎– WOOSH 010 - flexi, 1989)
Felt - [anything you like!]
Field Mice - [ditto]
Giraffes - Pass me by (debut, Love Madness 1988)
The Go-Betweens - I need two heads (Postcard, 1980)
Groove Farm - Baby blue marine (Kvatch ‎– 001 flexi 1989)
Groove Farm - Heaven is blue (flexi, Woosh ‎– Woosh 006 1989)
Hangmans Beautiful Daughter - They fell for words like love (Dreamworld 1987)
Haywains - Surfin' Trowbridge (debut, Woosh ‎– WOOSH 003, flexi, 1987)
Holiday Makers - Everyday (flexi, Woosh ‎– WOOSH 001, 1988)
Jasmine Minks - Think (debut, Creation 004 1984)
Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes - The Rain Fell Down (debut, 1986 Narodnik)
The Legend! - '73 in '83 (debut, Creation 001 1983)
McCarthy - Red Sleeping Beauty
Meat Whiplash - Here It Comes
Mighty Mighty - Throwaway (Sha La La Flexis ‎– ba ba ba-ba ba 001 1987)
MBV - [anything you like]
Nivens - Let Loose Of My Knee (flexi, Woosh ‎– WOOSH 001, 1988)
Orchids - From This Day
Passmore Sisters - Safe Place To Hide
Pastels - Heavens Above
Pooh Sticks - Hard On Love
Poppyheads - Sun Shines Forever
Raw Herbs - Old Joe
Razorcuts - Sad Kaleidoscope
Remember Fun - Hey Hey Hate (Sha La La Flexis ‎– ba ba ba-ba ba 007, 1987)
Reserve - The Sun Slid Down Behind The Tower
Revolving Paint Dream - In The Afternoon
A Riot of Colour - Skink
Sea Urchins - Recorded 30.12.88
Sea Urchins - Clingfilm ((Kvatch ‎– 001 flexi 1989)
Servants - It's My Turn
Shop Assistants - You Trip Me Up
Siddeleys - Wherever You Go
Splendour In The Grass - Twist Me
Springfields - Tranquil
St Christopher - Crystal Clear
St James Infirmary - The Boy Who Crossed The Street
Stars of Heaven - Sacred Heart Hotel
Strawberry Story - Caroline
Talulah Gosh - [Anything]
Treebound Story - Cement Mix
Vaselines - Dying For It
Very Things - The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes
Visitors - Gold Mining
Waltones - Everything's Just Fine
Wedding Present - [Anything]
Wendys - Sun's Going To Shine For Me Soon
Wolfhounds - Rats On A Raft
14 Iced Bears - Inside
14 Iced Bears - Falling backwards (Surfacer ‎– Surfacer 002, 1987?)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Crikey tiny.

Lots.

I'll have a good hard THINK, and get back to you...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Eye Pilgrims - Wall of sand (Woosh ‎– WOOSH 010 - flexi, 1989)

Ha! I'm going out for a pint with the guitarist from the Eye Pilgrims tomorrow. He's an old friend of mine. He would be utterly astonished that anybody still remembers them!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Tiny, that list has made me weep! I may well ask for some of that stuff as my record player is dead and as you know I'm selling loads of stuff but haven't listened to them for ages. Got any Beat Hotel?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ha! I'm going out for a pint with the guitarist from the Eye Pilgrims tomorrow. He's an old friend of mine. He would be utterly astonished that anybody still remembers them!

Tell him that the Eye Pilgrims are the talk of the South Coast - and that we sing their song(s?) at every home game. If he wants to join NSC, he can give us an account of going out drinking with Choo Choo Train and Esmerelda's Kite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here