Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Tiny, that list has made me weep! I may well ask for some of that stuff as my record player is dead and as you know I'm selling loads of stuff but haven't listened to them for ages. Got any Beat Hotel?

I know the girl who runs it (couldn't resist a weak C86 joke), but sorry I haven't. They didn't release much, did they?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That is a great list of stuff tiny. Is the Shop Assistants song a cover of You Trip Me Up? Had forgoton Jasmin Minks and is the McCarthy song an early track? Is a wonderful collection.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That is a great list of stuff tiny. Is the Shop Assistants song a cover of You Trip Me Up? Had forgoton Jasmin Minks and is the McCarthy song an early track? Is a wonderful collection.

You Trip Me Up is indeed a cover. McCarthy song was their second single and is an absolute belter - as evidenced by the fact that a Swedish indie band named themselves after it.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
You Trip Me Up is indeed a cover. McCarthy song was their second single and is an absolute belter - as evidenced by the fact that a Swedish indie band named themselves after it.

Mr. Pedantic says: McCarthy's first single actually, and yes, abosulutely brilliant (drumming especially). Their second single was Franz Hals, which is also brilliant. It's amazing this thread has kept going! Every time I look, it's still there!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Would be interested in hearing that cover of You Trip Me Up.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Mr. Pedantic says: McCarthy's first single actually, and yes, abosulutely brilliant (drumming especially). Their second single was Franz Hals, which is also brilliant. It's amazing this thread has kept going! Every time I look, it's still there!

Shaun: their first single was In Purgatory, 456 copies only, released on Wall of Salmon records in 1985. I don't have this - worth a fortune.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

Shaun: their first single was In Purgatory, 456 copies only, released on Wall of Salmon records in 1985. I don't have this - worth a fortune.

Blimey! I stand corrected (and slightly astonished), as I'm old enough to have bought Red Sleeping Beauty when it came out!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Blimey! I stand corrected (and slightly astonished), as I'm old enough to have bought Red Sleeping Beauty when it came out!

Me too (in being old enough), wish I'd been savvy enough to buy the other one as well! We played Red Sleeping Beauty at my wedding.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Tell him that the Eye Pilgrims are the talk of the South Coast - and that we sing their song(s?) at every home game. If he wants to join NSC, he can give us an account of going out drinking with Choo Choo Train and Esmerelda's Kite.

Don't think he ever met Choo Choo Train, them being American and all. Esmerelda's Kite could certainly drink, however.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Staly, were/are you involved in the music scene?

Only as a fan, dj and occasional promoter, nothing exciting. But it was a small scene and I expect everybody on this thread was at least on nodding terms with most of the indie bands in whichever town they lived. I lived in Leeds in the 90s so I knew, to a greater or lesser extent, various Wedding Presents, Pale Saints, Boyracers, Hoods etc. From this experience I can confirm that Gentle Despite were the biggest pissheads I ever met, for example, unlikely as that may seem....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can confirm that Gentle Despite were the biggest pissheads I ever met, for example, unlikely as that may seem....

That does seem unlikely. You'll be telling me next that Hood didn't wander around the countryside taking poorly focused snaps of pylons. I once saw Edsel Auctioneer play to an even smaller audience than the in-this-thread-only legendary Charlottes gig. My polite request for Stickleback was ignored until the encores.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
You'll be telling me next that Hood didn't wander around the countryside taking poorly focused snaps of pylons.

Don't worry, they did.

I once saw a band called Submarine at the Duchess in Leeds. The audience consisted of just me and a friend. We asked them to do their cover of [an Ultra Vivid Scene song, can't remember which]. They said they wouldn't do it because they hadn't rehearsed it for a while. I said "there's only two of us here, does it matter?". They sulked.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Don't worry, they did.

I once saw a band called Submarine at the Duchess in Leeds. The audience consisted of just me and a friend. We asked them to do their cover of [an Ultra Vivid Scene song, can't remember which]. They said they wouldn't do it because they hadn't rehearsed it for a while. I said "there's only two of us here, does it matter?". They sulked.

They must have been caught in a psychological quandary - geared up for a public performance, but faced with little or no audience. I don't know whether I'd be up to doing requests. Incidentally, do you know whether Hood were ever scheduled to release anything on Sarah? Presumably there were discussions, what with the Boyracer link and the (at that time) fairly straightforward, albeit fuzzy, pastoral songs?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Incidentally, do you know whether Hood were ever scheduled to release anything on Sarah? Presumably there were discussions, what with the Boyracer link and the (at that time) fairly straightforward, albeit fuzzy, pastoral songs?

Don't know to be honest. Boyracer always seemed a bit of an odd fit on Sarah to me. Bit too awkward.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's now three weeks since Murray's brilliant collection of songs arrived at my home. Means I will now be moving onto CD 3 as playing one each week to death. Will certainly lift the gloom from that Monday morning feeling.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Don't think he ever met Choo Choo Train, them being American and all.

I'm pretty sure (89%) that Choo Choo Train supported The Flatmates on a tour in 1988 (they certainly did at the Tunbridge Wells show I put on), so he could have met them!

By the way (and I hope this link works), how good is this Camper Van Beethoven song from 1985 - it wouldn't have been out of place on the C86 album - though they were Americans, werent they?
http://youtu.be/INnFvMgET1E

Yours in jingle jangle....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here