Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope you're better at keeping tabs on unlistened to CDs than I am - I must have 20 or 30 of them that I've never played - a solo car journey is always good though: YOUR choice, YOUR volume.

Im not even that good at keeping tabs on CDs in my CAR. I reckon, between the two door pockets, the centre storage bit, the glove box, and the sleeve thing I have installed on the back of the sun visor, that there are about 50 currently in there somewhere.

My new company car arrives in the next two weeks, and I am determined not to clutter it up. Luckily its supposed to have a fancy stereo that takes SD cards or something, so the plan is to buy a couple of big memory cards, and load lots of lovely jangly stuff onto those, and leave the CDs at home.

(It will never happen)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have been listening to CD3 from Flex's compilation this week. Some great tracks and perfect pop songs. Not had the track listing with me as most listening has been in the car. Will pick out some favourites in a few days time but every track is a winner. The Christmas song (16) is a perfect antidote to the usual rubbish associated with this season. Dont know who sings it or its proper title but will look that up. As for The Bartlebees glad that you enjoying that track too Hans.

Flex Your Head

The Christmas song (16) is a perfect antidote to the usual rubbish associated with this season. Dont know who sings it or its proper title but will look that up.
The very wonderful, tragi-comic Just Joans.

So, everyone has a revitalised tase for all things 'indiepop'? Look forward to meeting you all at Indietracks next year. 99% certain to be the last weekend of July - book the Friday and Monday off now ;o)

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm contemplating putting together a live C86 compilation for my own amusement - I've got quite a lot of bootleg live recordings from that era. Anyone interested in copies of that if I do it?

I've done this now. If anyone wants a copy let me know- it's a bit raucous and not a bit twee, and has the sound qualities you'd expect from 30 year old cassettes. I had to be ruthless and limit it to 1985-1987, so a volume 2 may be in the offing.

Tracklisting: The Hardest Walk (JAMC), Tomorrow Ends Today (Primal Scream), Clear (Bodines), Across My Shoulder (Primitives), Why Popstars Can't Dance (Big Flame), Almost Made It (Shop Assistants), Delirious (Brilliant Corners), Unknown (Clouds), O'Grady's Dream (A Witness), The Amazing Roy North Penis Band (Bogshed), Kiss Me Stupid (Chesterfields), A Prophecy (Close Lobsters), Once More (Wedding Present), If I Could Write Poetry (TV Personalities), Red Sleeping Beauty (McCarthy), Please Don't sandblast My House (1000 Violins), Down But Not yet Out (Felt), Up For A Bit (Pastels), The Rain Fell Down (Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes), Happy All The time (Flatmates), Just Mind Your Step Girl (Soup Dragons), In The Rain (June Brides), Don't Go Away (Talulah Gosh), Gemini Smiles (Mighty Mighty), Love In A Car (House of Love).

Flex Your Head

I've done this now. If anyone wants a copy let me know- it's a bit raucous and not a bit twee, and has the sound qualities you'd expect from 30 year old cassettes. I had to be ruthless and limit it to 1985-1987, so a volume 2 may be in the offing.

Tracklisting: The Hardest Walk (JAMC), Tomorrow Ends Today (Primal Scream), Clear (Bodines), Across My Shoulder (Primitives), Why Popstars Can't Dance (Big Flame), Almost Made It (Shop Assistants), Delirious (Brilliant Corners), Unknown (Clouds), O'Grady's Dream (A Witness), The Amazing Roy North Penis Band (Bogshed), Kiss Me Stupid (Chesterfields), A Prophecy (Close Lobsters), Once More (Wedding Present), If I Could Write Poetry (TV Personalities), Red Sleeping Beauty (McCarthy), Please Don't sandblast My House (1000 Violins), Down But Not yet Out (Felt), Up For A Bit (Pastels), The Rain Fell Down (Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes), Happy All The time (Flatmates), Just Mind Your Step Girl (Soup Dragons), In The Rain (June Brides), Don't Go Away (Talulah Gosh), Gemini Smiles (Mighty Mighty), Love In A Car (House of Love).
That's a stonking tracklist! I'd love a copy please.
By the way, did postie get the USB stick to you and has anything tickled yr fancy so far... so to speak?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Staly, you've captured a lot of my favourites there - I'll be in touch. Hopefully the Soupdragons track is better than my band's version which, sadly, was lost/recorded over in 1987.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
That's a stonking tracklist! I'd love a copy please.
By the way, did postie get the USB stick to you and has anything tickled yr fancy so far... so to speak?

Not got it yet, but we tend to collect anything which won't fit through the letterbox from the post office at the weekend - I know we've got a few waiting to collect tomorrow.

I'm making the cover, and have found a magnificent picture of the Clouds live, with Norman Blake on guitar to put on it. Once I saw that haircut I knew it had to be on the front: Clouds.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It will hurt my poor delicate ears, won't it!? Great list, all the same - I'd be ALL over it, if it were the studio versions!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I fell for one of Amazon's "As you bought that, you might also like to buy this" e-mails, this week. Should arrive tomorrow.

Any good?

View attachment 46781

I love You! Me! Dancing! by! Los! Campesinos! If John Peel had still been alive, it would have been number 1 in the Festive 50. I also love Shrag, but it's not one of my favourites of theirs. Same goes for Love Is All. However, there is quite a lot I've never heard - let us know if there are any pearls in there.

I haven't got that. My other half tried ordering it for me as a gift when it came out, but everytime she received an Out of Stock email back. How much are they charging for it nowadays? I could be tempted as it's got some corkers on it and not too much filler.

Sorry - I forgot to ever come back on this.

Here's the tracklist. The ones in bold are the gems, imo. In truth, I haven't really paid the last few tracks due attention, as I like the bit from 9-14 that much, that at the end of The School one, I keep skipping it back a few. I love track 14. I'd never heard of The School before, but a bit of research later, and I'm well and truly sold. I shall search out an album to buy at some point shortly.

1. Punks Are Writing Love Songs, The - Tullycraft
2. Nosebleeders On The Track - Faintest Ideas
3. Wishing Well - Love Is All
4. Morning Light - Girls (1)
5. Moped Girls - Vivian Girls
6. Never Enough - Girls At Dawn
7. Beachy Head - Veronica Falls
8. You Lose - Cause Co-Motion
9. David Cassidy - Betty & The Werewolves
10. Fleeting Moments - Pocketbooks
11. You Me Dancing - Los Campesinos
12. Hopelessly Wasted - Shrag

13. Summer Of The Doormouse, The - Boy Least Likely To
14. And Suddenly - School (3)

15. Goes Out - Play People
16. Somedays We Are - Celestial
17. No Winter No Autumn - Moscow Olympics
18. Security By Design - Liechtenstein
19. Leave It To You - Minisnap
20. Marble Gods - Sad Day For Puppets
21. Long Hair - Dum Dum Girls
22. Seconds Away - Legends (6)
23. Cluster**** - Manhattan Love Suicides
24. 103 - Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
25. LOVE/A Masonic Youth - Bobby McGee

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Sorry - I forgot to ever come back on this.

Here's the tracklist. The ones in bold are the gems, imo. In truth, I haven't really paid the last few tracks due attention, as I like the bit from 9-14 that much, that at the end of The School one, I keep skipping it back a few. I love track 14. I'd never heard of The School before, but a bit of research later, and I'm well and truly sold. I shall search out an album to buy at some point shortly.

1. Punks Are Writing Love Songs, The - Tullycraft
2. Nosebleeders On The Track - Faintest Ideas
3. Wishing Well - Love Is All
4. Morning Light - Girls (1)
5. Moped Girls - Vivian Girls
6. Never Enough - Girls At Dawn
7. Beachy Head - Veronica Falls
8. You Lose - Cause Co-Motion
9. David Cassidy - Betty & The Werewolves
10. Fleeting Moments - Pocketbooks
11. You Me Dancing - Los Campesinos
12. Hopelessly Wasted - Shrag

13. Summer Of The Doormouse, The - Boy Least Likely To
14. And Suddenly - School (3)

15. Goes Out - Play People
16. Somedays We Are - Celestial
17. No Winter No Autumn - Moscow Olympics
18. Security By Design - Liechtenstein
19. Leave It To You - Minisnap
20. Marble Gods - Sad Day For Puppets
21. Long Hair - Dum Dum Girls
22. Seconds Away - Legends (6)
23. Cluster**** - Manhattan Love Suicides
24. 103 - Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
25. LOVE/A Masonic Youth - Bobby McGee

I'd agree with most of that, although I think that the Pains of Being Pure At Heart song's good (although fairly identical to most of their other songs), and I have to support the Manhattan Love Suicides as they're friends of friends. I like the Bobby McGees song too.

I do think a lot of the Brooklyn bands are vastly overrated. I mean, how dull are the Vivian Girls?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd agree with most of that, although I think that the Pains of Being Pure At Heart song's good (although fairly identical to most of their other songs), and I have to support the Manhattan Love Suicides as they're friends of friends. I like the Bobby McGee song too.

I'll come back to you on those two after lunch. Like I say they suffer from being at the very, very end, as I keep not getting that far.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester

Flex Your Head

You won't like Cluster****, it'll hurt your ears.

If you are looking for your next compilation, can I recommend this one? More relatively recent indiepop:

That's a good shout; I used three of the tracks from that on my 4CD set. I also included a Manhattan Loves Suicides and a Blanche Hudson Weekend track - they're bloody great.
My mate Trev runs his own label and has released records by both MLS and BHW - well worth checking out his website for current boss tuneage (as I believe the kids aren't saying) - http://oddboxrecords.com/

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm getting lost here - I haven't yet listened to 90% of the embedded Youtube clips on here, I feel like I'm a relative stranger to Murray's 4xCD box set, people are recommending compilation CDs right, left and centre, I haven't yet got round to the Scared To Get Happy compilation, I owe the Brilliant Corners some listening time. there aren't enough hours in the day - how am I supposed to keep up with all this?? Having said that, keep it up everyone - you're not just opening up new avenues for me, it's more like new towns. When I retire, I will go back to page 1 of this thread and start again in a conscientious way.

This is completely non-C86, but I love Spooky Action At A Distance by Lotus Plaza. It has grown on me over the past 18 months or so. I am now listening to US bands like Real Estate and Beach Fossils and hearing/imagining C86 influences that I hadn't picked up on before. I just love a jangly melodic guitar and a tune...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd agree with most of that, although I think that the Pains of Being Pure At Heart song's good (although fairly identical to most of their other songs), and I have to support the Manhattan Love Suicides as they're friends of friends. I like the Bobby McGees song too.

You won't like Cluster****, it'll hurt your ears.

I like both. The Pains... one more than the Manhattan one, granted, but that too was pretty good. I'm not completely averse to a bit of noise and aggression. Darklands, for example, holds a very special place in my heart. I'm sure your live recordings are great, too. The truth is, I don't really like recorded live music much. I love actual live music, but if I'm listening at home or in the car, I'll take the studio recording every time.

If you are looking for your next compilation, can I recommend this one? More relatively recent indiepop:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kids-At-The-Club-V/dp/B000HOMT8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379071907&sr=8-1&keywords=the+kids+at+the+club

Thanks. Looks of interest. Also the 'Piece of cake' one that Amazon throws up with it. I think my next few purchases are going to be albums by single bands though, for the reasons Tiny mentions below. I'm struggling to keep up!

I'm getting lost here - I haven't yet listened to 90% of the embedded Youtube clips on here, I feel like I'm a relative stranger to Murray's 4xCD box set, people are recommending compilation CDs right, left and centre, I haven't yet got round to the Scared To Get Happy compilation, I owe the Brilliant Corners some listening time. there aren't enough hours in the day - how am I supposed to keep up with all this?? Having said that, keep it up everyone - you're not just opening up new avenues for me, it's more like new towns. When I retire, I will go back to page 1 of this thread and start again in a conscientious way.

Totally agree. So much great stuff.

Two weeks ago, I did exactly what you suggest though - read this entire thread from start to finish, playing every embedded link in full. It was about 2 hours very well spent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
...is a long time in this thread. Things move quickly. Going on holiday was a mistake.

Not too many playable links in the last two weeks though, so I've kept up! If you only play ONE, make it the Bartlebees one, above. Its brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here