Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha. Cheers Staly. Like Tiny - no youtube access at work, so I'll be sure to have a look later.

I'm in the process of simultaneously trying to rebuild some of the collection that I once held, on long discarded cassettes, and also broadening my scope to include a few bands that didn't break up 25 years ago!

I'm definitely going to investigate The School some more, for starters.

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm in the process of simultaneously trying to rebuild some of the collection that I once held, on long discarded cassettes

I still have quite a few cassettes, and my father-in-law has a tape deck that burns the music from them onto CDs - next time we visit, no polite small talk from me, as I'll be locked in his music room (he's a musician. Been on TOTP, no less)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've listened to Bartlebees and Sweater Girls - thumbs up for both. Here is a lot of jangle, a bucketload of melody and a few drops of shoegaze:

[yt]6HXnvIx6ucE[/yt]

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Really like that, even if the video made me a bit sick...

The third one, not so much, but then you knew that anyway!

The whole Clour Me Wednesday album's good, although I think it's more powerpop than indiepop myself (as if that matters). They remind me of the Would Bes (anyone remember them?).

I noticed there's a new Mazzy Star album out soon, which may well be my next purchase:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just caught up with some of the more recent clips on the thread. Unfortunately I am not able to access NSC on an average work day and when I log in each evening I end up pretty envious not to have been part of the daytime banter. Anyway, enough of that. CD3 has been another revelation. Card From A Multipack and Cheer Up being particular highlights as is I Give You Two Seconds To Entertain Me by Northern Portion. To be honest though, it's all brilliant. The Bartlebees are my biggest find so far and just one more CD to go next week. My original list of a 'perfect' compilation looks really conservative now in comparison to what else is around. Going to make a real effort to keep that final weekend in July free next year. And if I could encourage everyone along to Edge Of The Sea that is always worth attending.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
One of my favourite moments from 2001:

[yt]e8PSeQNlpBQ[/yt]

I think you could well be my double! I loved this song when it first came out and it was my first introduction to Bearsuit. John Peel was a huge fan and if my memory serves me right the song reached number 3 in that years festive fifty. I saw them play live at the freebut and a few years later at The Hope. Hey Charlie is a perfect song with a great chorus and just the right amount levels of noise towards the end. I have all the bands albums by I don't think they have ever topped this song.

Flex Your Head

Just caught up with some of the more recent clips on the thread. Unfortunately I am not able to access NSC on an average work day and when I log in each evening I end up pretty envious not to have been part of the daytime banter. Anyway, enough of that. CD3 has been another revelation. Card From A Multipack and Cheer Up being particular highlights as is I Give You Two Seconds To Entertain Me by Northern Portion. To be honest though, it's all brilliant. The Bartlebees are my biggest find so far and just one more CD to go next week. My original list of a 'perfect' compilation looks really conservative now in comparison to what else is around. Going to make a real effort to keep that final weekend in July free next year. And if I could encourage everyone along to Edge Of The Sea that is always worth attending.
Yeah, I feel the same as I'd like to join in with the daytime banter but don't always get the chance, and when I check the thread in the evening I have to edit myself from writing 10 paragraphs of vaguely relevant waffle!
Really glad you've been enjoying the CDs though and I look forward to your comments on #4. I'm contemplating another multi-CD set Vol II...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yeah, I feel the same as I'd like to join in with the daytime banter but don't always get the chance, and when I check the thread in the evening I have to edit myself from writing 10 paragraphs of vaguely relevant waffle!
Really glad you've been enjoying the CDs though and I look forward to your comments on #4. I'm contemplating another multi-CD set Vol II...

I can only begin to imagine how good a follow up it would be and I for one hope you manage to compile it. Starting CD 4 tomorrow on the way to work. Will make getting up on a Monday morning much less painful.

Flex Your Head

OK, here's a splurge of stuff...

Check out the pics and gifs(!) from yesterday's Indiepop all-dayer in Nottingham - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115803327778927739452/albums/5923828846958686305 - I couldn't go and felt fairly miffed all day, but by all accounts, it was a fantastic success.

Bearsuit sadly called it a day (for now at least) last month - http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4a9c7db0b9bc82f0421a49ce0&id=f6f9dd7e4a - :(

Northern Portrait are indeed wonderful, and so what if they sound like Morrissey fronting The Sundays. Best thing out of Denmark since The Killing... or before, maybe.

I don't think The School song that Tiny refers to has been used in an ad or anything, and it's not on my discs (I included 'Let it Slip'), but they do write wonderfully instant, and 'classy' pop songs.

The Just Joans will make you cry whilst you laugh quietly to yourself. National treasures that the nation barely knows about.

The Just Joans have released lots of stuff on the brilliant WeePOP! label - check out the site, download the free MP3s and maybe order POP!050 (amongst others!) http://www.weepop.net/

I've been listening to Bright Ideas a lot again lately, distinctly American new-wave meets classic jangle. Everyone should download this album for free, and if you only go for one song, go for 'Cut My Hair' - pop genius, but it's all great.
http://squirmyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/saturdays-and-the-turning-tide

I'll stop now and have another glass whilst toasting our ongoing unbeaten streak :ascarf: (sorry Staly, but we've been pretty good not talking about the Seagulls!)

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'll stop now and have another glass whilst toasting our ongoing unbeaten streak :ascarf: (sorry Staly, but we've been pretty good not talking about the Seagulls!)

It's ok. We've only lost one this season, in the league at least.

I get to splurge rubbish all day, as my employers don't even bother trying to keep track of what everyone's doing online. That's universities for you....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can only begin to imagine how good a follow up it would be and I for one hope you manage to compile it. Starting CD 4 tomorrow on the way to work. Will make getting up on a Monday morning much less painful.

I'm back to Murray's CD2 today, after devoting some quality time to George Best. Terrific stuff. My favourites are still the St.Ettienne-esque track 4, and the lovely Cat's Miaow number.

I like the Northern Portrait track above, very much. The Sundays observation is a very good one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm back to Murray's CD2 today, after devoting some quality time to George Best. Terrific stuff. My favourites are still the St.Ettienne-esque track 4, and the lovely Cat's Miaow number.

...and track 1. And the one about Baseball Caps and Novas. :thumbsup:

My 1p (plus £1.26 postage) copy of the Forget-Me-Nots' Hullabaloo just arrived, so I shall be indulging in some nostalgic janglyness at lunchtime.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Just nipped out to buy a sandwich for lunch. It's freshers' week so loads of first year students wandering around looking lost. Passed one with a Meat Is Murder t-shirt on and I was thinking that, given that he was presumably born in 1995 the Smiths are as far away to him as Heartbreak Hotel was when I was his age....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just nipped out to buy a sandwich for lunch. It's freshers' week so loads of first year students wandering around looking lost. Passed one with a Meat Is Murder t-shirt on and I was thinking that, given that he was presumably born in 1995 the Smiths are as far away to him as Heartbreak Hotel was when I was his age....

Do today's 18 year olds actually listen to the Smiths, do you think, or is it just 'cool', like all the folk wearing Ramones T-shirts?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Do today's 18 year olds actually listen to the Smiths, do you think, or is it just 'cool', like all the folk wearing Ramones T-shirts?

I think there may be parents of today's teenagers who had pretty good musical taste in the 80s. I am constantly amazed at the breadth of musical knowledge of today's youngsters - recognising everything from Come On Eileen to Take On Me to Mr Brightside. I've brainwashed my kids - they can name Debaser within three seconds of it beginning. They're not responding to The Siddeleys yet though. On Saturday, they agreed with me that vinyl was better than CD and that the size of a 7" or 12" made it a thing of beauty. Next weekend I'll be showing them the free origami I got with a Bearsuit 7" and then delivering a lecture on the evolution of independent record labels 1985-1989.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here