Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
When I met my wife, she was into The Pixies, Wedding Present, Field Mice, Popguns. Over the years, we have become partially misaligned - she's not one for revisiting old genres in an indulgent way and is less tolerant of new bands that sound like old bands. However, had we not been on holiday, I am confident she would have attended the Wedding Present gig. When we move back to Brighton, there will be a new era of gig attending and louche living, and the launch of the Brighton C86 indie disco - expected attendance: 4 or 5, depending on whether HKFC can make it.

There already is one - Another Sunny Day.
http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4181

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

That looks ace. I assume the Swedish pop angle is an attempt to attract hot Scandinavian chicks, I'm all for that.

Ever been? Sounds like there might be one in October - the 19th would suit me very well. I'll get that Pastels badge buffed up and ready.

Not been myself but I know a fair few that have and love it.

There was even an Indie-Pop Quiz one month there (tinycowboy explodes). I missed that too.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
For me the one band that have consistantly entertained me from the eighties to present day are The Fall. I was also listening to The Pixies, The Cure and bands such as The Mekons and Three Johns. Nick Cave also became prevelant around then. Oh and My Bloody Valentine. I could go on.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Somehow I've still never seen the Fall.

Some of the worst and best concerts I have been to have been to see The Fall. Thanks to the unpredictable nature of Mark E Smith you never know exactly what's in store. The last few times they have been brilliant but there were times when they have come on late, played short sets and been without Smith so that other band members have had to take on the vocals. But that's all part of 'The Fall Package' and I love them.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How is that even possible? Law of averages would suggest you would have bumped into them at some point. They're still pretty good but the gigs are vastly overpriced IMHO.

I tend to agree- paid £20 last time at The Old Market but it was sold out which would suggest correct pricing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm getting lost here - I haven't yet listened to 90% of the embedded Youtube clips on here, I feel like I'm a relative stranger to Murray's 4xCD box set, people are recommending compilation CDs right, left and centre, I haven't yet got round to the Scared To Get Happy compilation, I owe the Brilliant Corners some listening time. there aren't enough hours in the day - how am I supposed to keep up with all this?? Having said that, keep it up everyone - you're not just opening up new avenues for me, it's more like new towns. When I retire, I will go back to page 1 of this thread and start again in a conscientious way.

This is completely non-C86, but I love Spooky Action At A Distance by Lotus Plaza. It has grown on me over the past 18 months or so. I am now listening to US bands like Real Estate and Beach Fossils and hearing/imagining C86 influences that I hadn't picked up on before. I just love a jangly melodic guitar and a tune...

If you like your shoegaze the first Lotus Plaza album The Floodlit Collective is bloomin brilliant as well. It was in my top 5 of '09. Fabulous record.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJcJdFaJ7A

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sorry, I seem to have turned this into a middle age crisis thread. Didn't mean to. Here's some more clips:

Proof you don't need to be able to tune a guitar to produce something sublime:

Best song of last year for me:

I'm pretty suprised Allo Darlin' hadn't come up earlier in this thread, that really was a cracking album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Before the dawn heals us. Can't even remember why I was bringing this up? Was it motivational pre-match songs? Still, put your headphones on, and play this little beauty loud - you'll feel like you've been washed clean in a blazing shower of pure bliss. Or something.

You not kidding there. I think it was on your angry shoegaze compilation and it interested me as I only really know their more recent stuff.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend said:
Just Joan's remind me of a band called Ballboy who were another Peel favourite. Again I am not sure if they are still around. Found this though which is ace
Ballboy are my absolute favourites. Overall No 1 artist according to my Last.fm charts, I've played songs by them 1,300+ times since Feb 2006. Probably the only band I have every release by, bought on (or around) their release date. (I think I included a track on Disc 4).
When I was still living in Brighton I bought tickets to see them 3 times, and every time they cancelled. The 4th time, they actually did play, but I was living in London and had to drive my Nan home to Crawley from Peacehaven. Tsk!
Two of my friends got married earlier this year, and Gordon, the singer and main songwriter played an acoustic song for them. I sat next to him throughout the wedding meal in nerdy uber-fan awe, desperate not to show it. He was, happily, a top chap as well as being one of our finest lyricists.

I love this clip of them playing at an early Indietracks when the 2nd stage was the back of a lorry and the sun was setting behind them - one of my favourite Indietracks moments.

Gordon has a side-project called Money Can't Buy Music; more electronica-ish but equally fantatsic. I highly recommend the Universe For Beginners album.

I DJed at the first couple of those when we put bands on too - gotta be about 5 or 6 years ago now, at the Albert. Craig and Rob, who are two of the current DJs, are all-round good eggs and know a great tune when they hear one. Definitely worth getting along to one of their nights if possible.

There'a an occasional club night very close to you too, Hans - The Sun Shines Here - run by another top bloke called Rich. I'll let you know if he's putting on another one soon - his playlists are awesome.

Jeez, I do really need to post less but more regularly - I was about to embark on a full-on splurge!
Not seen The Fall for years, but they always used to be brilliant, apart from when I saw them on my (then) girlfriend's 22nd birthday. I was 21 and had severe glandular fever. I have never felt so ill at a gig and I hadn't even touched a drop!

I'll stop now. My eyes hurt.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ballboy are my absolute favourites. Overall No 1 artist according to my Last.fm charts, I've played songs by them 1,300+ times since Feb 2006. Probably the only band I have every release by, bought on (or around) their release date. (I think I included a track on Disc 4).
When I was still living in Brighton I bought tickets to see them 3 times, and every time they cancelled. The 4th time, they actually did play, but I was living in London and had to drive my Nan home to Crawley from Peacehaven. Tsk!
Two of my friends got married earlier this year, and Gordon, the singer and main songwriter played an acoustic song for them. I sat next to him throughout the wedding meal in nerdy uber-fan awe, desperate not to show it. He was, happily, a top chap as well as being one of our finest lyricists.

I love this clip of them playing at an early Indietracks when the 2nd stage was the back of a lorry and the sun was setting behind them - one of my favourite Indietracks moments.

Gordon has a side-project called Money Can't Buy Music; more electronica-ish but equally fantatsic. I highly recommend the Universe For Beginners album.

I DJed at the first couple of those when we put bands on too - gotta be about 5 or 6 years ago now, at the Albert. Craig and Rob, who are two of the current DJs, are all-round good eggs and know a great tune when they hear one. Definitely worth getting along to one of their nights if possible.

There'a an occasional club night very close to you too, Hans - The Sun Shines Here - run by another top bloke called Rich. I'll let you know if he's putting on another one soon - his playlists are awesome.

Jeez, I do really need to post less but more regularly - I was about to embark on a full-on splurge!
Not seen The Fall for years, but they always used to be brilliant, apart from when I saw them on my (then) girlfriend's 22nd birthday. I was 21 and had severe glandular fever. I have never felt so ill at a gig and I hadn't even touched a drop!

I'll stop now. My eyes hurt.

I love last fm, it combines 2 of my most favourite things, music & stats. PM me your user name if you please, I'd be very interested to see what you are up to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here