Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm on last fm, not sure what my username is - probably the same as here, possibly with a date afterwards. Anyway, here are five pre-1986 C86 picks:

It's Kinda Funny - Josef K
Felicity - Orange Juice
All Day Long - Shop Assistants
Dismantled King Is Off The Throne - Felt
It Happens - Primal Scream

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I like atmosphere. Thank God we're not at Withdean any more...

Having said that, when it was a dark, blowy day at Withdean, I used to quite enjoy looking at the trees on the south side, and House of Love lyrics used to come into my head: "We stared at the trees, they seemed to be bare as a desert breeze. At night now, it's cold" as Doug Loft launched the ball forwards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Felicity - Orange Juice
It Happens - Primal Scream

Two of my favourite tracks of all time.

Today has seen a huge musical departure for me. I picked up a hire car this morning, and set off, without checking the stereo. It was preset to Planet Rock, and I had no idea at all how to change it, in an unfamiliar car, in busy traffic.

40 minutes of Bon Jovi, GnR, The Cult, Tom Petty and the Blue Oyster Cult later, I arrived at my first meeting. It was actually fun, in a simple kind of a way. It was like eating ten burgers, one after the other. I've managed to retune it to 6 music now, but I might change it back later!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Two of my favourite tracks of all time.

Today has seen a huge musical departure for me. I picked up a hire car this morning, and set off, without checking the stereo. It was preset to Planet Rock, and I had no idea at all how to change it, in an unfamiliar car, in busy traffic.

40 minutes of Bon Jovi, GnR, The Cult, Tom Petty and the Blue Oyster Cult later, I arrived at my first meeting. It was actually fun, in a simple kind of a way. It was like eating ten burgers, one after the other. I've managed to retune it to 6 music now, but I might change it back later!

The Wedding Present version of Felicity is brilliant and was released as a John Peel Session.
As regards the car stereo- if it is digital you may want to consider dandelion radio as an alternative to six music.
http://www.dandelionradio.com/

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Wedding Present version of Felicity is brilliant and was released as a John Peel Session.

Indeed

As regards the car stereo- if it is digital you may want to consider dandelion radio as an alternative to six music.
http://www.dandelionradio.com/

It is digital, but it's not very easy to use / search. Cheers for this, though. My new company car, due to arrive shortly, does have a good digital radio, so I'll look forward to checking that out.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
40 minutes of Bon Jovi, GnR

No thanks.

The Cult, Tom Petty and the Blue Oyster Cult

I'll do 40 minutes - but not a lot more.

It was like eating ten burgers, one after the other

Pizza+Hut+Crown+Crust.jpg

I've managed to retune it to 6 music now, but I might change it back later!

Be careful out there....Still, there are a number of 6 Music shows that have me retuning - Mary-Anne Hobbs, Cerys, Nemone, Freak Zone, Craig Charles (the man, not the music), Edith. At least Jon Holmes and George Lamb are no longer there. Adam and Joe RIP - used to love that on a Saturday...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No thanks.

I'll do 40 minutes - but not a lot more.

View attachment 47057

Be careful out there....Still, there are a number of 6 Music shows that have me retuning - Mary-Anne Hobbs, Cerys, Nemone, Freak Zone, Craig Charles (the man, not the music), Edith. At least Jon Holmes and George Lamb are no longer there. Adam and Joe RIP - used to love that on a Saturday...

Having just got over the ROCK fest that was my morning drive, I'm now sat typing this in a themed 60s diner, listening to 'Fill me up, buttercup' :jester:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Having just got over the ROCK fest that was my morning drive, I'm now sat typing this in a themed 60s diner, listening to 'Fill me up, buttercup' :jester:

Don't go for a lethal combination of too much coffee, a milkshake, too many chips and some huge steak sandwich welded together with an industrial slab of melted cheese - you'll regret it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't go for a lethal combination of too much coffee, a milkshake, too many chips and some huge steak sandwich welded together with an industrial slab of melted cheese - you'll regret it.

Too late :down:

Jesus Christ. Now the diner is playing 4 non-blondes. My whole day is turning into a ludicrous 1960s-meets-shit-rock nightmare.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Brilliant Corners songs - at the moment, my top 3 are Delilah Sands, Brian Rix and Everything I Ever Wanted. Haven't listened to Teenage recently, so bear with me.

Brighter: the lead singer/guitarist Keris is a BHA fan. Does he use this forum? Does HE think we got a good deal with Nooney?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brilliant Corners songs - at the moment, my top 3 are Delilah Sands, Brian Rix and Everything I Ever Wanted. Haven't listened to Teenage recently, so bear with me.

Teenage
Why do you have to go out with him?
One of these days
Um, and Jim's Room

And Delilah Sands...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brilliant Corners songs - at the moment, my top 3 are Delilah Sands, Brian Rix and Everything I Ever Wanted. Haven't listened to Teenage recently, so bear with me

Do it. Class. Classic c86 low (zero) budget video, too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll no doubt get shot down for this, but THIS, rather than Sarah001, is my favourite Sea Urchins track...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'll no doubt get shot down for this, but THIS, rather than Sarah001, is my favourite Sea Urchins track...

[...ominous silence...ponders indie smart*rse comment about how it IS Sarah001...]

OK, back to the Brilliant Corners - I agree to add your choices. Still loving Brian Rix - chiming guitars, orchestral overlay like a warm breeze on a summer's day, a trumpet like a playful puppy. Marvellous.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thank you Flex for last nights splurge of info. I did not realise that Bearsuit had split. I really enjoyed their sound which I could only liken to a more melodic, toned down version of Melt Banana. Just Joan's remind me of a band called Ballboy who were another Peel favourite. Again I am not sure if they are still around.

I'm a big Bearsuit fan. I quite like Ballboy but haven't really given the one album I have of theirs (Club Classics?) much airplay. I'll give it another go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[...ominous silence...ponders indie smart*rse comment about how it IS Sarah001...]

Hadn't thought of it like that. :dunce:

Because I never owned the record - I just had both tracks on a mix tape from a mate - I don't really think of one as a b-side to the other.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm a big Bearsuit fan. I quite like Ballboy but haven't really given the one album I have of theirs (Club Classics?) much airplay. I'll give it another go.

Please do give Ballboy another listen. Track 7 CD 4 from Murrays compilation is one of their songs but not typical of them. It's has a jangly guitar sound where they are usually fairly quiet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here