Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Flex Your Head

Proto-C86? 1966.

That's a great shout. A former girlfriend once told me she'd got a song by "one of those bands you like" on a free CD with a newspaper; turns out it was this.
Condo F*cks (Yo La Tengo in disguise) do great versions of it - both loud and fuzzy, and acoustic and sweet.

I reckon another of the earliest recorded songs in that indiepop style we all know and love has got to be Simon & Garfunkel's "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy).

It's got all of the key ingredients:

1) A great tune that will have you humming all day
2) It's cheerful and summery
3) It lasts for a fraction over 90 seconds
4) It contains the lyrics 'ba-ba-da ba da ba da...'
5) There's some whistling in it
6) Gorgeous, understated vocals with innocent, almost naive lyrics
7) It was on a 7" single, the B-side in fact
8) There would be no Belle & Sebastian without Simon & Garfunkel (I proved this in a laboratory once)

Paul Simon can also take the credit for writing "Punky's Dilemma" which, on this version by Lois Lane, sounds like it inspired half of the El Records roster as well as Acid House Kings, Club 8 and dozens more.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a great shout. A former girlfriend once told me she'd got a song by "one of those bands you like" on a free CD with a newspaper; turns out it was this.
Condo F*cks (Yo La Tengo in disguise) do great versions of it - both loud and fuzzy, and acoustic and sweet.

I reckon another of the earliest recorded songs in that indiepop style we all know and love has got to be Simon & Garfunkel's "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy).

It's got all of the key ingredients:

1) A great tune that will have you humming all day
2) It's cheerful and summery
3) It lasts for a fraction over 90 seconds
4) It contains the lyrics 'ba-ba-da ba da ba da...'
5) There's some whistling in it
6) Gorgeous, understated vocals with innocent, almost naive lyrics
7) It was on a 7" single, the B-side in fact
8) There would be no Belle & Sebastian without Simon & Garfunkel (I proved this in a laboratory once)

Paul Simon can also take the credit for writing "Punky's Dilemma" which, on this version by Lois Lane, sounds like it inspired half of the El Records roster as well as Acid House Kings, Club 8 and dozens more.

Interesting stuff. I'll now hear the S&G one in a whole new light. Never heard the Lois Lane one before, but you're right - it wouldn't sound at all out of place on one of your recent mix CDs.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've been reacquainting myself with Ignite the 7 Cannons over the weekend, thanks to @tinycowboy. Great stuff. Was a real favourite back in the day. I'd forgotten quite how much of it is instrumental.

No problem. I love (virtually) all Felt, instrumentals or non-instrumentals. Bright, shiny crystalline guitars, great tunes, amusing/sad/other lyrics. Think I may make "Let The Snakes Crinkle Themselves To Death" my album of the evening whilst making dinner, taking over from The Real Ramona's 5 day residence. Although I may listen to Dylan and Red Shoes and Two Step just one more time...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No problem. I love (virtually) all Felt, instrumentals or non-instrumentals. Bright, shiny crystalline guitars, great tunes, amusing/sad/other lyrics. Think I may make "Let The Snakes Crinkle Themselves To Death" my album of the evening whilst making dinner, taking over from The Real Ramona's 5 day residence. Although I may listen to Dylan and Red Shoes and Two Step just one more time...

A had a 4 hour ******* of a drive home this evening from East London. Your Tallulah Gosh and field Mice CDs and the lovely Hydroplane / cat's Miaow one from Staly kept me chilled out. Good work.

Flex Your Head

Last edited:

Flex Your Head

As well as the stuff in my post above, I've been listening to Sea Lions - Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Sea Lions But Were Afraid to Ask album to death (again). It's an absolute belter - 15 *ahem* jangletastic tracks in 29 minutes. It sounds like it could have been released in the mid-80's, but does so effortlessly, without sounding at all forced or derivitive.

You can get the CD delivered for less than £6 on Amazon, less than £4 if you don't mind a used one!

This says it way better than I ever could:

Album Notes

By the time of the release of their 2011 album, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Sea Lions But Were Afraid to Ask, the indie pop community was eagerly awaiting the Sea Lions' official debut and it’s easy to see why. How could they not be stoked about a band whose influences were Sarah Records, the Television Personalities, Beat Happening, early Slumberland bands, Love, and Orange Juice? How could they ignore the stream of excellent songs, singles, and tapes the band unleashed in the years previous? How could they not be instantly charmed by vocalist Adrian Pillado’s deep and artless vocals that makes him sound like Calvin Johnson's young, and ultra melancholy, cousin? The short answer is that it was pretty much impossible not to be eager to the point of maniacal.

The Sea Lions, in concept and in reality, are like indie pop catnip and Everything You Always Wanted to Know is like a 50-lb. bag of the stuff. Pillado’s songs are super-catchy and his vocals spot-on, and the band sounds perfectly shambolic but also full of energy and verve, sort of like a cross between the Pastels and a '60s garage band like the Dovers. Songs like “I Loved Her So Much” and “I Should Be Sleeping” have a timeless jangle that would fit perfectly in 1966, 1986, or 2011, capturing feelings of teenage angst that will never go out of fashion. Pillado has a knack for making the smallest moments of heartbreak sound like utter tragedy but always remembers to wrap the emotion in melodies that would sound good coming out of supermarket speakers (well, a super cool market anyway).

Along with the cheerful gloom and sweetness, there’s also a healthy dose of post-punk angularity and weirdness in the Sea Lions sound, so you can’t write them off as indie pop weaklings. They also don’t sound like they are copying anyone, which gives them instant cred and appeal to indie pop fans who have heard it all. Of course, if songs about eating cereal, endlessly pining for girls, and generally moping around like it was going out of style, sung in a voice that won’t win any singing competitions anytime soon, make you instantly want to throw a hissy fit, steer clear.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Sea Lions But Were Afraid to Ask is an album for sensitive souls who like to make a bunch of noise and aren’t afraid to sound dorky while they do it. Along the way they made an indie pop instant classic. ~ Tim Sendra

I don't have shares in this band or anything by the way ;o)

:bla: :yawn::bla:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My Sunday probably a notch up from mellow so have gone for easygoing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm supposed to be revising at home today for a very dull but important exam tomorrow. I'm finding Club 8 to be ideal background music.

Karolina is bleedin' gorgeous and has such a beautiful voice *sigh*

Cheers for this Murray.

What a charming young lady.

Flex Your Head

Cheers for this Murray.

What a charming young lady.
She's an absolute honey (#127 in the series "Phrases I thought I'd never utter")

I have been thoroughly enjoying The Black Tambourines of late. They remind me of a fab 4-some just a tad...

Staly - how do I go about getting one of your awesome looking (sounding?) CDs please?

Last edited:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
For followers of C86 type stuff, just to let you know Bobby McGee is putting on an indie weekender at the Horse and Groom on Islingward Street on 23rd November - Saturday and Sunday.

Not sure the full list of bands has been finalised yet, but he's started sending out the flyers... oh, and for some strange reason he's called it "80p" (geddit)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
For followers of C86 type stuff, just to let you know Bobby McGee is putting on an indie weekender at the Horse and Groom on Islingward Street on 23rd November - Saturday and Sunday.

Not sure the full list of bands has been finalised yet, but he's started sending out the flyers... oh, and for some strange reason he's called it "80p" (geddit)

The last time I saw Bobby McGee was in a queue to see Cornershop. Had a great chat with him. Last saw him play live was in the street outside Food For Friends a couple of years ago.

Flex Your Head

I can see this being on a few Christmas lists as it's seemingly tailor-made for this thread http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scene-In-Be...1381176558&sr=8-1&keywords=a+scene+in+between

51WCqUV7CrL._SX385_.jpg

Fortunately my birthday is Halloween, so I can stick it on me birthday list and get it sooner :wink:

PS - Absolutely loving Tiny's Rarities Disc 1, can't wait to listen to Disc 2 too - thanks again!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I can see this being on a few Christmas lists as it's seemingly tailor-made for this thread http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scene-In-Be...1381176558&sr=8-1&keywords=a+scene+in+between

View attachment 47473

Fortunately my birthday is Halloween, so I can stick it on me birthday list and get it sooner :wink:

PS - Absolutely loving Tiny's Rarities Disc 1, can't wait to listen to Disc 2 too - thanks again!

A perfect present! As you will be getting it first I look forward to a review. Did hope for an Amazon 'look inside' but not available. Incidentally your 4 cd s are being constantly played in my car at the moment along with The Lovely Eggs and Husky Rescue who have released one of my favourite albums this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here