Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Errr... supporting The Wedding Present playing the album I played on originally. It's still weird to be honest, even though I've seen him do it before with an entirely different lineup!

That album is a part of my life - your drums are still heard regularly in our house. Love the Popguns too. I need to do some more research on The Fireworks now. Murray put one track on his CD box set so he probably owes you royalties.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Errr... supporting The Wedding Present playing the album I played on originally. It's still weird to be honest, even though I've seen him do it before with an entirely different lineup!

That album is a part of my life - your drums are still heard regularly in our house.

Ah. :dunce:

Kudos

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Ah. :dunce:

Kudos

Don't worry, for every one of those, I get a "my favourite album was Seamonsters" i.e. after I left. It may be true, but some people seem to say it quite gleefully! It was a great album too...

Anyway, thanks! I was very lucky to find those bands years ago, and it's great to be doing it again - and finding a song as good as this one (the B-side's good too). This thread has been great, as was Indietracks (remembering how this started!), the excitement of Shelflife finally sticking it up online got the better of me!

It's never too late - three chords and you're sorted!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't worry, for every one of those, I get a "my favourite album was Seamonsters" i.e. after I left. It may be true, but some people seem to say it quite gleefully! It was a great album too...

Anyway, thanks!

They're lying. GB is THE Weddoes album, and they know it.

Bizarro was pretty good too. Any input in that one?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Remember the day I bought Don't Try To Stop Me, Mother. Also bought 12" of Primitive Painters, Safety Net, Whistling In The Dark (Easterhouse) and Tiny Dynamine. A great haul of riches. The opening burst of Once More still hits like a joyful blast of fresh air. Lovely stuff. 1985 - the new 1986? ???

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Saturday evening, means me, the kitchen, a beer, and a YouTube party.

Three great songs. There are some rather dodgy versions of the Felt track on the 12". I meant to play Emma's House and The Sun A Small Star by The Servants when I got home but ended up watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure with the family. However, that song by The Servants is my current favourite - love it to bits. Never listened to any other tracks by them apart from the one on the C86 album. I'd be surprised if they had a better song.

Flex Your Head

for a gig at Lancaster University.
Was that at the Sugarhouse?

My mate Ajay went to Lancaster University back in the mid-80's and started running his own club night called The Brix Club, named after the rather delightful Mrs ME Smith. I sent him a mix tape and called it "Brix Brix Take Off Your Knix And Show Us Some Of Your Partee Trix" (yeah yeah, I know)... which he subsequently decided to use on one of his flyers.

Brix 2.jpeg

Apparently Mr and Mrs Smith travelled up from Manchester to see The Creepers (or it could've been The Membranes) and saw the flyer. Brix laughed, Mark didn't... initially.

He put some cracking gigs on for fans at the noisier end of the indie / C86 spectrum:

brix 1.jpg

Ajay once called me up when I lived in Telscombe Cliffs and asked if I could put him and his (then) girlfriend, Belinda up the following night. No probs I thought, until they turned and I realised that Belinda was actually Blinda from MBV. It was very hard to not come over as super-fanboy.

I remember being excited when his first band, Dandelion Adventure got a Peel session:

...and this is from his latest band's latest release, out on Monday:

Blimey, give me a glass of red wine, half an hour on the computer and I get incredibly waffley and nostalgic!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ajay once called me up when I lived in Telscombe Cliffs and asked if I could put him and his (then) girlfriend, Belinda up the following night. No probs I thought, until they turned and I realised that Belinda was actually Blinda from MBV. It was very hard to not come over as super-fanboy.

I would have ended up doing something ridiculous like not washing a cup she had drank out of or something, I'm sure you didn't quite hit that level of fanishness.

Flex Your Head

He owes the others! This single is the first release I've played on... and I'm quite tempted to ask for a set of CDs myself!
No probs Shaun, just PM me your address.

shaun_rc; said:
This thread has been great, as was Indietracks (remembering how this started!)
I genuinely thought you were going to collapse at some point during your set in the church - it was sooo hot and you were really going for it; one of my highligts of the weekend.

By the way, me and Andy are looking forward to DJing at this;

Big Pink Cake via Facebook; said:
BIG PINK CAKE CHRISTMAS PARTY! Bands confirmed so far... Very very exciting... FLOWERS, MATT BOUVIER, THE FIREWORKS, THE FELT TIPS, PERU, THE GARLANDS, T.O.Y.S, THE ELECTRIC POP GROUP, @ THE BETSEY TROTWOOD - SATURDAY 14th DECEMBER.

Tiny venue in Farringdon, fantastic line-up, it's gonna be heaving - get your tickets early pop-fans!

Flex Your Head

I would have ended up doing something ridiculous like not washing a cup she had drank out of or something, I'm sure you didn't quite hit that level of fanishness.
That would be crazy... that would be like keeping the pillow case she rested her weary head on in a plastic bag and occasionally opening it up and inhaling deeply...

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Dandelion Adventure, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I grew up in Preston, and one of the guys from Action Records gave me the two Dandelion Adventure records. Preston was a pretty good place for Indie Pop; shops like action records, some decent bands like Formula One, and the occasional good gig.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Welcome to our little indie pop treasure trove, Ross. You are going to fit in just fine :thumbsup:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Welcome Ross. Three more to make a depressing Sunday slightly more palatable...

[yt]X2R-dV6uwYk[/yt]

[yt]4HWcViTXdYc[/yt]

[yt]tLfrD9GXbd0[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here