Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Looking forward to seeing this lot live on Friday. As they appeared on the original C86 I think they probably make a justifiable mention on this thread.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I meant to play Emma's House and The Sun A Small Star by The Servants when I got home but ended up watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure with the family. However, that song by The Servants is my current favourite - love it to bits. Never listened to any other tracks by them apart from the one on the C86 album. I'd be surprised if they had a better song.

If you decide to investigate The Servants further, can I also recommend It's My Turn and Afterglow, both very good songs...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
They're lying. GB is THE Weddoes album, and they know it.

Bizarro was pretty good too. Any input in that one?
No, afraid not, which is a shame for me, because Kennedy's one of my favourite WP songs, it's brilliant. I'd probably say in my biased way, that they continued the template we started from earlier though - the speed and style etc.. Talking of which, Indietracks was hot! Thought I'd got away from the fast stuff, but it's what the Fireworks want, all over again! It was accidental with the WP, to do with the fact I was learning the drums at the time, so always playing as fast as I could... never thought I'd still be belting it out now though...!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
No, afraid not, which is a shame for me, because Kennedy's one of my favourite WP songs, it's brilliant. I'd probably say in my biased way, that they continued the template we started from earlier though - the speed and style etc.. Talking of which, Indietracks was hot! Thought I'd got away from the fast stuff, but it's what the Fireworks want, all over again! It was accidental with the WP, to do with the fact I was learning the drums at the time, so always playing as fast as I could... never thought I'd still be belting it out now though...!

Good work. GB is the best (closely followed by Bizarro).

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Will you be playing Nowhere Fast? :wink:

At the Brighton gig on 23rd November, yes, I expect so! We learned it for At The Edge of The Sea (it was a bit cheeky, because the bands who play are supposed to do a WP song, but someone suggested it, TWP weren't going to play it (as it was a "CD extra" on GB), and I felt more comfortable), but we've really enjoyed playing it - I still love the Girls At Our Best! original. We were in the studio straight after ATEOTS to do the single, so we've recorded it too... there's a plan for a flexi (remember them?) at some point!

Flex Your Head

At the Brighton gig on 23rd November, yes, I expect so! We learned it for At The Edge of The Sea (it was a bit cheeky, because the bands who play are supposed to do a WP song, but someone suggested it, TWP weren't going to play it (as it was a "CD extra" on GB), and I felt more comfortable), but we've really enjoyed playing it - I still love the Girls At Our Best! original. We were in the studio straight after ATEOTS to do the single, so we've recorded it too... there's a plan for a flexi (remember them?) at some point!

I loved The Fireworks version at the end of the Indietracks set; although Matthew seemed slightly nervous, it went down brilliantly.

It's funny; on my way to work this morning I was thinking of some of the early female-fronted bands that could be included quite happily on an indiepop compilation, and I was going to post a Modettes, an Altered Images, a Chefs and a Girls at Our Best! video on the thread. Maybe I still will.

I'm still gutted that I didn't get the Pleasure bag when the GAOB LP came out. I was at school but my big sis popped in to Virgin on Queens Rd to get me a copy on release day. She said she felt 'weird asking for a Pleasure bag' though so I never got to see the postcards and stickers and whatever else was included. Tsk!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I loved The Fireworks version at the end of the Indietracks set; although Matthew seemed slightly nervous, it went down brilliantly.

It's funny; on my way to work this morning I was thinking of some of the early female-fronted bands that could be included quite happily on an indiepop compilation, and I was going to post a Modettes, an Altered Images, a Chefs and a Girls at Our Best! video on the thread. Maybe I still will.

I'm still gutted that I didn't get the Pleasure bag when the GAOB LP came out. I was at school but my big sis popped in to Virgin on Queens Rd to get me a copy on release day. She said she felt 'weird asking for a Pleasure bag' though so I never got to see the postcards and stickers and whatever else was included. Tsk!

Hmmm... I didn't get the Pleasure bag either! Indietracks was the first time we'd played GNF, as we'd learned it for ATEOTS but had it ready a bit early. It's a different guitar style for Matthew, hence the nerves, but we've been playing it more confidently since! It feels a bit weird that we've carried on doing it, but people do seem to like it, and we have a good time too! It has made me go back to the other GOAB! stuff too, even though GNF doesn't sound much like they did normally.

The whole Joanna Gruesome album is fanstatic, but you do wonder if bands are allowed to copywrite a chord! Speaking of Fortuna Pop!, getting my head round The Spook School at the moment. Some of it is great (e.g. I'll Be Honest With You"), but some is a bit twee for me...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Wedding Present live in session on Mark Riley Six Music at 7.00 p.m. 22nd October. Then lots of tour dates- nothing south of London though.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Seems to be an album of out-takes. The "real" best of compilation seems to be retailing for around £50 though. I love seeing what ex-C86ers are doing as a "proper" job. Lead singer of The Servants:

http://bura.brunel.ac.uk/handle/2438/4530

I had a meeting at work with an ex member of Big Flame a few months ago.

This is a good and cheaper Servants compilation, if you've got a record player (or "turntable" as they seem to be called these days): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youth-Club-Disco-VINYL-Servants/dp/B006CLHAW2/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381771149&sr=1-4&keywords=the+servants

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've had this in my head all day today. No idea why. Not heard it for years.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I had a meeting at work with an ex member of Big Flame a few months ago.

This is a good and cheaper Servants compilation, if you've got a record player (or "turntable" as they seem to be called these days): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youth-Club-Disco-VINYL-Servants/dp/B006CLHAW2/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381771149&sr=1-4&keywords=the+servants

Does anyone on this thread really not have a record player?? I think I have three. I love record players. Or turntables, as I now call them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here