Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ballboy are my absolute favourites. Overall No 1 artist according to my Last.fm charts, I've played songs by them 1,300+ times since Feb 2006. Probably the only band I have every release by, bought on (or around) their release date. (I think I included a track on Disc 4).
When I was still living in Brighton I bought tickets to see them 3 times, and every time they cancelled. The 4th time, they actually did play, but I was living in London and had to drive my Nan home to Crawley from Peacehaven. Tsk!
Two of my friends got married earlier this year, and Gordon, the singer and main songwriter played an acoustic song for them. I sat next to him throughout the wedding meal in nerdy uber-fan awe, desperate not to show it. He was, happily, a top chap as well as being one of our finest lyricists.

I have been watching a lot of Ballboy on you tube but there is little of them playing live so thanks for the clip. I will give the side project a listen too. It reminded me a little of Looper who were a Belle and Sebastian off shoot and released a couple of albums both of which I have. This is from the first album

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have to admit that I never really got in to Looper, but that's a great track.

Incidentally, the date are confirmed for Indietracks 2014. http://indietracksblog.blogspot.co.uk
I've got one of the grotty Travelodge rooms booked already :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. All I want is a line up that includes The June Brides, Bodines and McCarthy. I realise however that none of them exist anymore so that really is wishful thinking.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;59 45707 said:
Thanks for the heads up. All I want is a line up that includes The June Brides, Bodines and McCarthy. I realise however that none of them exist anymore so that really is wishful thinking.

June Brides kinda played last year; [video]http://vimeo.com/groups/indietracks/videos/46360824[/video]

I can't play the clip at work, so have no idea as to how it sounds, but they did garner rave reviews from those who caught their performance.

I can't wait to have a browse through the 138 (!) videos later.
http://vimeo.com/groups/indietracks/videos

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I cant access these clips at work but got that to look forward to tonight.

Bring back The June Brides!!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Remember this little gem? Filmed at Rottingdean and Ovingdean.

I always loved that video because of the part where Dave Callaghan is making shapes at the edge of the sea and the others are throwing rocks at him (1:48).

Saw the Wolfhounds loads for a couple of years, as they always seemed to be supporting at all the gigs I went to. I usually preferred them to the main band (House of Love, Weather prophets). Rent Act was a fine fine song.

Anyone else still got the Gimme Shelter video that this is compiled on? Also includes a brilliant Big Black live clip.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've done this now. If anyone wants a copy let me know- it's a bit raucous and not a bit twee, and has the sound qualities you'd expect from 30 year old cassettes. I had to be ruthless and limit it to 1985-1987, so a volume 2 may be in the offing.

Tracklisting: The Hardest Walk (JAMC), Tomorrow Ends Today (Primal Scream), Clear (Bodines), Across My Shoulder (Primitives), Why Popstars Can't Dance (Big Flame), Almost Made It (Shop Assistants), Delirious (Brilliant Corners), Unknown (Clouds), O'Grady's Dream (A Witness), The Amazing Roy North Penis Band (Bogshed), Kiss Me Stupid (Chesterfields), A Prophecy (Close Lobsters), Once More (Wedding Present), If I Could Write Poetry (TV Personalities), Red Sleeping Beauty (McCarthy), Please Don't sandblast My House (1000 Violins), Down But Not yet Out (Felt), Up For A Bit (Pastels), The Rain Fell Down (Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes), Happy All The time (Flatmates), Just Mind Your Step Girl (Soup Dragons), In The Rain (June Brides), Don't Go Away (Talulah Gosh), Gemini Smiles (Mighty Mighty), Love In A Car (House of Love).

I've not forgotten about this - I'm going to burn a few copies at the weekend.

Starting to think about vol. 2. I might do 1982-1984 or I might do 1988-1990. Or I might do a colonial side volume, with Australian, New Zealand and American bands.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I haven't got much by the Wolfhounds, but what I do have, I like. I suppose there's some 48 track 2 disc anthology bashing around somewhere? ???

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I followed this link to have a look and in the suggested section was a best of McCarthy CD. Looked at this and it took me to I Am A Wallet also by McCarthy which I have now purchased. The original was stolen when my flat was burgled one Christmas Eve back in the nineties.

Flex Your Head

I was never a big fan of the Wolfhounds at the time, probably due to lack of exposure to them, but back in May, the day after we moved house, I attended a weekender in north London. By the end of the night I was absolutely shattered and and really quite pissed. I was desperate to go home but didn't know the route and was waiting for friends to accompany and guide me. The Wolfhounds took to the stage an sounded utterly fantastic. This song in particular;

You can listen to all 4 songs here and buy the vinyl while you're there :)

http://oddboxrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cheer-up

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've not forgotten about this - I'm going to burn a few copies at the weekend.

Starting to think about vol. 2. I might do 1982-1984 or I might do 1988-1990. Or I might do a colonial side volume, with Australian, New Zealand and American bands.

Love this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here