Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Arf!

Did anyone on here know Grant who set up La-Di-Da records? He had some awesome gigs in his parents' kitchen and back garden - Blow Up, 14 Iced Bears, The Friendly Fires, Curtain Twitchers etc...

Is that the Grant who lives in the North Stand? Yes, he is very much around, just got married (congratulations!). He's a big Albion fan, and yes, those gigs in his parents kitchen on Davigdor Rd were legendary! (and add The Popguns to the list of bands who played...)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Also, as the Basement has been mentioned a fair bit, here's a (fairly naff) mini-doc filmed when it closed down in 1996.

Thanks for this. I remember it from the eighties mainly. Don't think it had a food bar at that point. It consisted of two rooms one with seating and the other was the dance floor. Bands would play at one end of this. Many happy memories of Friday nights which finished at a very early midnight. Then across the road to The Gloucester or 25 bus back to uni.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
'I don't think I was at that Charlottes gig but they would've returned to Brighton supporting Ride on their "Play" tour in Spring 1990'

Everyone has that gig that all their mates went to and you didn't! Well the one above was mine, Ride spring 1990 but at the Bournemouth Academy. Still can't remember why I didn't go!

Great Indie thread!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Everyone has that gig that all their mates went to and you didn't! Well the one above was mine, Ride spring 1990 but at the Bournemouth Academy. Still can't remember why I didn't go!

Radiohead, Oxford Venue, June 1992. My mates were late. We played darts instead.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've got the Grooveyard / Ever flexi copied to MP3, both songs are great and I think The Grooveyard were probably the most entertaining local band from that era. Can I post sound files on here?

This was another good local flexi release:

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=crocodile

I found this one last night.

my+bloody+valentine-pacific+flexi.jpg

I loved the two Pacific E.Ps at the time but I'm not sure the dance track will stand the test of time (much like the Field Mice effort).

EDIT: Woah that's big! Sorry.

Flex Your Head

I found this one last night.

I loved the two Pacific E.Ps at the time but I'm not sure the dance track will stand the test of time (much like the Field Mice effort).

EDIT: Woah that's big! Sorry.

I had / have loads of those 'The Catalogue' flexis from my days in record shops - the Cartel rep would always leave a dozen copies or so. Wouldn't be surprised if this one is worth a wee bit nowadays, if only I'd known back then!

Also, never apologise for something being too big.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome Jem - you've already been established as a music/C86 hero! My wife and I still reminisce about Sunday nights with Radio Sussex (and Surrey). Still, you were basically the warm-up for Barry Johnston...

I used to make the tea and answer the calls for Barry some nights

Who was the bloke who did the brilliant reportage on obscure objects of desire? Kinder egg toys and Pez dispensers come to mind.

It was the v.lovely Stephen Drennan >> He's on Pinterest here http://pinterest.com/steviecatb12/ or Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/steviecat/

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My wife was playing some random songs the other day and played a song by Sharkboy. Anyone know much about them? I've got the album Matinee somewhere. First track is really good - languid and melodic. Don't think I ever have the rest of the album much of a chance though. Do we need another thread for Brighton or Sussex bands, or should we keep our fanzine-loving indie fans nostalgia thread all in one place, ie here? I'm happy to stay here to be honest - I'm lazy and don't want to have to revisit multiple threads more than I have to.

Jul 20, 2003
Saw Ride supporting The Pale Saints at ULU .......... I say I saw Ride, I saw the second half of their set as I was on a roll on the quiz machine.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Saw Ride supporting The Pale Saints at ULU .......... I say I saw Ride, I saw the second half of their set as I was on a roll on the quiz machine.

I love quiz machines. I got a 75 break on Give Us A Break once - £10 jackpot. Saw The Pale Saints a couple of times, but they didn't really hit the heights.

Jul 20, 2003
The BIG question of the day is how many people involved in this thread do NOT have this record?
R-547494-1130013893.jpeg

with that I am going for a pint and then seeing if I can blag my way into the cricket

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just heading off to Indietracks - well excited!

The download I mentioned in the opening post gets better every listen. This is my current favourite...

Bloody love it.

Have a blinding time. Hope the weather is kind, and that Saturday's predicted APOCOLYPSE misses you!

I can't get the download, sadly. STEVE JOBS won't let me.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My wife was playing some random songs the other day and played a song by Sharkboy. Anyone know much about them? I've got the album Matinee somewhere. First track is really good - languid and melodic. Don't think I ever have the rest of the album much of a chance though. Do we need another thread for Brighton or Sussex bands, or should we keep our fanzine-loving indie fans nostalgia thread all in one place, ie here? I'm happy to stay here to be honest - I'm lazy and don't want to have to revisit multiple threads more than I have to.

Keep it to one!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes I also have 'Doing It For The Kids'. Seeing the Jazz Butcher's name on the cover reminds me that, up in the loft I still have half a dozen VHS tapes with episodes of 'Transmission'. I'll dig them out at the weekend and see who were on them.

I bet most also have 'Alvin Lives In Leeds' with the Pop Guns doing 'Bye Bye Baby', the 14 Iced Bears' 'Summer Nights' and Cud making the second best version of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.

(Here's the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzu0rxoK3S4)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here