Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Spitfire. Excellent band, saw them loads of times.

I think they divided opinion quite a lot - they got embroiled in a few unsavoury rows and never really recovered from that as they got a kicking from the music press as a result. Does anyone remember a time when sexism in popular culture was challenged? Seems a long time ago now...(old man alert - "things ain't what they used to be")

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I think they divided opinion quite a lot - they got embroiled in a few unsavoury rows and never really recovered from that as they got a kicking from the music press as a result. Does anyone remember a time when sexism in popular culture was challenged? Seems a long time ago now...(old man alert - "things ain't what they used to be")

A friend of mine was asked to join Spitfire once. He wasn't particularly tempted.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I remember Bobby Scarlet. I think I still have something of theirs on a flexi disc, possibly paired with How Many Beans Make Five. Of other local bands around at the time, I remember seeing a group called 'Ever' in a couple of support slots and liking them a lot. The Gits, were good, particularly 'Kinda Pretty'.

I remember the photographer. We nicknamed him 'Bailey', after David obviously. We laughed at him at the time, but I do wonder whether he still has all those photos.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Here's a band you must remember: Bobby Scarlet from Crawley/Brighton, who mutated into Spitfire. Excellent band, saw them loads of times.

I remember Bobby Scarlet. I think I still have something of theirs on a flexi disc, possibly paired with How Many Beans Make Five. Of other local bands around at the time, I remember seeing a group called 'Ever' in a couple of support slots and liking them a lot. The Gits, were good, particularly 'Kinda Pretty'.

I remember the photographer. We nicknamed him 'Bailey', after David obviously. We laughed at him at the time, but I do wonder whether he still has all those photos.

Never thought I'd see the words The Gits on here.

Loveless were a mix of Bobby Scarlett, Loveless and Spiralhead members. Some went onto Spectrum Zero.

The Horsham/Crawley massive!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I was the promoter. :)

Welcome Jem - you've already been established as a music/C86 hero! My wife and I still reminisce about Sunday nights with Radio Sussex (and Surrey). Still, you were basically the warm-up for Barry Johnston...

Who was the bloke who did the brilliant reportage on obscure objects of desire? Kinder egg toys and Pez dispensers come to mind.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I love flexidiscs - I have a pretty ropey How Many Beans Make Five/Popguns split 7" somewhere gathering dust. I'll get them down one day to show the grandchildren - and treat them with a Werther's Original. I suspect they'll be more interested in the latter.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I love flexidiscs - I have a pretty ropey How Many Beans Make Five/Popguns split 7" somewhere gathering dust. I'll get them down one day to show the grandchildren - and treat them with a Werther's Original. I suspect they'll be more interested in the latter.

My mistake, that's the one I have, not Bobby Scarlett. I've actually found two copies as a mate gave me his vinyl collection. His copy has part of the sleeve missing where he has cut out a picture to feed his Wendy Morgan obsession. I've also found a copy of one with Ever & The Grooveyard and another with the 14 Iced Bears and Splendour in the grass.

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/how-many-beans-make-5popguns-split.html

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/grooveyardever-split-flexi-1988.html

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/splendour-in-grass14-iced-bears-flexi.html

I think I've also got one by That Petrol Emotion, which I seem to remember was given away at their gig at the Worthing Assembly Halls.

Last edited:

Flex Your Head

My mistake, that's the one I have, not Bobby Scarlett. I've actually found two copies as a mate gave me his vinyl collection. His copy has part of the sleeve missing where he has cut out a picture to feed his Wendy Morgan obsession. I've also found a copy of one with Ever & The Grooveyard and another with the 14 Iced Bears and Splendour in the grass.

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/how-many-beans-make-5popguns-split.html

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/grooveyardever-split-flexi-1988.html

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/splendour-in-grass14-iced-bears-flexi.html

I think I've also got one by That Petrol Emotion, which I seem to remember was given away at their gig at the Worthing Assembly Halls.
I've got the Grooveyard / Ever flexi copied to MP3, both songs are great and I think The Grooveyard were probably the most entertaining local band from that era. Can I post sound files on here?

This was another good local flexi release:

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=crocodile

Last edited:

boik

Wow, lead singer with Ever was a friend of mine. I've got the 1st single somewhere. Small world!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also, as the Basement has been mentioned a fair bit, here's a (fairly naff) mini-doc filmed when it closed down in 1996.

Cheers for that. Takes me back a bit!

I don't suppose that the photographer / co-licensee guy that they chat to, is 'Bailey' mentioned earlier in this thread? His exhibition looked to have a lot of old gig photos.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
No that's not the photographer I remember.
I recall another "face" who seemed to go to every gig. He was about 6'8 and had glasses and a fringe. If you got stuck behind him you were ****ed! I saw him sing once, after a couple of numbers he said "I know we're shit but we've only been together for three days". I think that was supporting Galaxie500. Or was it Kitchens Of Distinction?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Think I'll play that Popguns one today!

Flex Your Head

No that's not the photographer I remember.
I recall another "face" who seemed to go to every gig. He was about 6'8 and had glasses and a fringe. If you got stuck behind him you were ****ed! I saw him sing once, after a couple of numbers he said "I know we're shit but we've only been together for three days". I think that was supporting Galaxie500. Or was it Kitchens Of Distinction?
That chap was known as 'Lighthouse' to many people. I think he might have been viewed as a slightly dull 'hanger-on' or 'wannabe'. I can remember at least 5 or 6 occasions when I was working at Virgin and chatting with various 'scenesters', DJs, band members etc and they'd run away to hide somewhere when he was spotted entering the department. One time there were about 7 people hiding from him and stifling giggles from behind various record racks and display units.
I thought they were being a bit cruel and unfair until I got stuck in conversation with him one dayzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That chap was known as 'Lighthouse' to many people. I think he might have been viewed as a slightly dull 'hanger-on' or 'wannabe'. I can remember at least 5 or 6 occasions when I was working at Virgin and chatting with various 'scenesters', DJs, band members etc and they'd run away to hide somewhere when he was spotted entering the department. One time there were about 7 people hiding from him and stifling giggles from behind various record racks and display units.
I thought they were being a bit cruel and unfair until I got stuck in conversation with him one dayzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I do hope he's not a member of this forum...I may have to revisit my flexis - including lots of Sha La La ones with magazines, plus I recall "My First Mine" by Pavement with some magazine, which may (or may not) have been their first UK release? Plus 'Skink' by A Riot of Colour, a Peel favourite.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I do hope he's not a member of this forum....

:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here